PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 64bit Plugins?

Ozoka
10-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Since LW is now 64bit when do you think 64bit pluings will com out?

tektonik
10-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Lightwave relies a lot on plug-ins to stay competitive...

and i must say i am stunned to see no support for 64 bit on that aspect

newtek should have been more proactive with the plugin developpers (the dongle driver f*ck-up is in itself fascinating)

especially fprime 64 is badly needed cuz it goobles memory like crazy

anyway it is out and being tortured by some of the users (ok not me... no time to test/waste will install when fprime 64 is out) and that is only good

chop chop moove along

a+

riki
10-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Makes me feel a bit better, being on a Mac n all. :)

RedBull
10-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Without incentive to update their plugins to 64bit, why would they.
With competing 64bit technology and no real 64bit OS, it's too early..

The sentinal drivers is an issue for safe-net.... (and XSI had similar problems)
The fact is people with 64bit machines, will need to run the 32bit LW for many, many years to come.....

It would be no different for others like Maya or Max...
It's just that LW has a 64bit version, before they do..

tektonik
10-28-2005, 09:40 AM
"It's just that LW has a 64bit version, before they do.."

come on ... without plugins LW is somewhat crippled so our 64 bit is more like a beta 64 (wich is still better than nothing)

and we cannot wait for that long for true 64 bit environnement cuz memory management in Lw and Fprime is quite poor... it can stay that way if we can access more memory but 1-2 gig is not enough

Intuition
10-28-2005, 08:41 PM
I bet Worley will have a 64bit plug in of F-Prime before summer of 2006.

Maybe some don't want to wait that long but I think it will be sufficient.

I am one of the few that want to jump on 64bit ASAP but have been cautious since the very platform of 64bit, even though it is the inevitable way of the future computer, is still in its early stages.

A year ago I almost bought in and now am seeing motherboards and chipsets that are more realistically set up for 64bit software.

Yes, now the problem is getting the 64bit software and all that it entails.

If LW9 is setup for 64bit software in general then the developers will move to the 64bit platform. Its a naturally occuring process. It will propbably be alot faster a move then the move from 16bit to 32 bit. Anyone remember the horrors of early win95?

This time it won't be so horrible even though there are bumps to be felt.

The time isn't ripe now but jumping in now will put you on the edge of technology early. The only problem is that you have to watch out for the edge and not fall in. :thumbsup:

Things are coming along nicely in the 64bit world and pretty soon everyone will be going there. It may be xmas of 2006 or summer of 2007 but by then most people in visual effects will have moved into the 64bit arena.

RedBull
10-29-2005, 01:03 PM
"It's just that LW has a 64bit version, before they do.."

come on ... without plugins LW is somewhat crippled so our 64 bit is more like a beta 64 (wich is still better than nothing)
and we cannot wait for that long for true 64 bit environnement cuz memory management in Lw and Fprime is quite poor... it can stay that way if we can access more memory but 1-2 gig is not enough

LW and C4D are the only manufactures to offer a 64bit release....
We don't have a true 64bit OS, we only just have a 64bit LW.....
Until their is a market, you won't see it... Hardly NT's fault....

LW has all the included 32bit plugins made by NT, in LW64...
What and when the 3rd parties, decide to make 64bit compiles of certain plugins, will always be at the discretion of them.....

Worley has released 64bit aware plugins, and most of the larger commercial
plugin makers, will to eventually.. (IFW2 says within the next 12months)

Max is heavily plugin based, and will also have this trouble, Maya not so much
with MELscript, used more than C++ for plugins and scripts.
And considering they have not even started on 64 stuff, and XSI is not making foundation 64bit... I think LW's is well ahead in this aspect.....

It will come down to Vista, new apple 64bit intels and OS, and Intel PC
hardware to mature, and the 2nd or 3rd generation 64chip, before this is a large enough market, to drive consumer competition.
Still at least 12-18 months from being a solid viable production ready system..
You will be running 32bit along side 64, for the forseeable future....

This is hardly anything NT can do?

What do you suggest? Threaten 3rd parties to make 64bit compiles, or we won't like them anymore?

Ozoka
10-31-2005, 01:25 PM
I think that 64bit plugins are coming sooner then everyone things.....well I hope it does....honnesty I think a lot of them will be released when LW9 is out. Hey you never know

Ozoka
10-31-2005, 01:29 PM
Worley has released 64bit aware plugins, and most of the larger commercial
plugin makers, will to eventually.. (IFW2 says within the next 12months)

What do you suggest? Threaten 3rd parties to make 64bit compiles, or we won't like them anymore?

Worlry has released plugins to work on XP64 not LW64....its on the front page of the site

http://www.worley.com/

"All three tools will now support LightWave's beta 64 bit dongle driver in Windows x64. (The plugins are not 64 bit versions. This change means that they now work in Windows x64 with the normal 32 bit LightWave.)"

Intuition
11-02-2005, 02:03 PM
So, if we are running 32bit lightwave on a 64bit machine then F-Prime will work with it.

But what you are saying is that if you are running Lightwave64 and are trying to use f-prime then it will not work right?

Or is it just that F-Prime can render in LW64 but its still running 32bit code so it is not optimized?

gjjackson
11-02-2005, 02:06 PM
LW64 won't install most 3rd party plugins. If it's an LScript then it May work, but .p (compiled) plugins most likely won't install. FPrime is the same way, it will Not install. This has hampered my using LW64. It may be awhile before I actually get into it.