PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ground fog!

Josamoto
10-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Can someone please help me out with setting up ground fog for my simple and plain scene.

I've got some soda cans that I want to surround with some cold looking fog effects, but I only want a part of the cans submerged inside the fog.

I'm having trouble setting up the fog, I either don't see the fog, or it appears to be in a ring around the camera only.

Now the scene is quite small, the cans are about 70cm high, and the camera is up very close, approx. 30cm from the subject, you could call this a macro shot.

How would I go about setting up this thin layer (about 20cm) of ice cold fog hanging on the floor of the scene?

I've enabled the Ground Fog volumetric thingy, and that is how far I am getting.

As far as I understand the settings, I'll need to set Bottom to 0, as it starts on the floor, Top should be 20cm, Falloff at 50%, but this Nominal setting is annoying me, I've set it to the distance my camera is from the subject, I've tried half that distance, but nothing seems to create the blanket of fridge fog around my scene.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

MonroePoteet
10-28-2005, 01:44 PM
I'd probably use Hypervoxel's rather than ground fog. If this is for a still, you could create a "fog bank" object in modeler using Random Points, move/shape it where you want the fog, bring into Layout, and assign HV's to it.

If it's for an animation, clone the can objects, shrink them in the Y axis slightly, and make it/them a object-surface particle emitter. By setting a small Explosion factor, a low gravity value, and making the table-top a collision object, you can have the "fog" stream off the cans and slide across the table-top.

mTp

P.S. I forgot to mention that I'd "stretch" the HV's in the Y axis at some small value (like 10% maybe) to get a thin layer on the fog.

Josamoto
10-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks for that, I'll definitely look into that. I've been playing around with HV's using 5 nulls and stretched them in the Y directions.

Looks like I was heading in the right direction then!

Thanks for the advice!