PDA

View Full Version : LWS back-up file?

srhyne
10-26-2005, 04:13 PM
My scene was accidently rearranged (approx 100 cars) and unfortunatley the undo process doesn't go back far enough to fix the problem. My question to the community is there an automatic back-up file for the LWS file? AutoCAD automatically creates a "bak" file and I was hoping LW did the same thing. If so, where would it write the file?

Any help will save me hours and would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve.

mkiii
10-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Not for .LWS files unfortunately.

The hub *can* be configured to save backup files when it is in use (righ click on its toolbar icon).

It saves files to c:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Local Settings\Temp\lwhub - or wherever your docs n settings folder is living.

Unless data has been sent via the hub say from modeler to layout, then you may not get any files in there.

Either way, it doesn't save .lws files - just your objects, and certain config files.

Dodgy
10-27-2005, 03:34 AM
Not for .LWS files unfortunately.

If you Right click the hub icon in the systray, select properties,and select 'Automatic Save' and 'Automatic save project' and set them to 15 or so mins, it will save both your LW objects AND scenes.

It saves them to the directory LWHub which will be in your TEMP directory, wherever that is stored. This is usually in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp

But I usually send it to C:\temp to make it easier to get to.

mkiii
10-27-2005, 06:45 AM
I have never seen a scene file in there, with the hub running, modeler & layout both sharing data & the autosave on for both projects & objects.

You actually get scene files saved?

Hmm...

I'd be glad to be proved wrong, because this has been a constant niggle for me.

[edit]
Glory be!!!

I have just managed to get it to save a .lws file in LWHUB... It didn't happen automatically however until I saved the file manually even though I edited both scene & object in each app.

So it seems that there is a specific set of events that need to happen before the auto backup kicks in.

srhyne
10-27-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm not familiar where the systray is. Is it in the program files or is it within Lightwave?

Thanks.

srhyne
10-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Sorry. I found the icon. Thanks again for the help.

Dodgy
10-27-2005, 10:08 AM
I have just managed to get it to save a .lws file in LWHUB... It didn't happen automatically however until I saved the file manually even though I edited both scene & object in each app.

So it seems that there is a specific set of events that need to happen before the auto backup kicks in.

Yeah, I think that is the case, as I've noticed that it doesn't save all the time... But it usually has, probably because I always save fairly frequently myself :)

Exception
09-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Nah it usually fails to save .lws files, wether you have the option on or not.