PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia 7800 now available as bto.....

jat
10-26-2005, 04:06 PM
snap it up folks!!!!!!!

Weepul
10-27-2005, 02:50 AM
+$350 option...not bad! I'd read speculation it'd be more like +$450 to $500.

Now for it to become available in the education store. ;)

HenkDawson
10-27-2005, 09:11 AM
What's the benifit of having this card over the GeForce 6600? Without open GL 2.0 on OSX is there a difference?

Weepul
10-27-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm hardly an expert when it comes to graphics performance, but my guess would be no, you won't see much of an improvement in LW with this card, currently.

If OS X gains full OGL 2.0 support sometime before the next PowerMac revision, or due to the re-written code in LightWave 9, it's possible it would make a difference for LW in the future.

Also, if a person uses their LightWave computer as their main computer, it would give a benefit to other things (for example...playing Halo... ;))

marlo.steed
10-27-2005, 04:21 PM
I am not an expert on this either but if you look at the specs for the 7800, there seems to be a significant difference. See the Graphics Card Specifications on the link below:
http://www.apple.com/ca/powermac/graphics.html
Although I must say this could all be just a bunch of numbers to impress.
Does anyone have a technical perspective on what the numbers mean. For instance, 225 million vertices per second versus 700? .. or memory bandwidth, fillrate, or interface? I would assume the differences translate into faster OpenGL rendering but perhaps that is not the case. Can anyone clarify?

Captain Obvious
10-28-2005, 03:41 AM
The 6600 has full support for OpenGL 2.0, as far as I know. Whether or not OGL2.0 exists for Mac OS X will have no real impact on the performance difference between the 6600 and the 7800. The 7800 is a lot faster, plain and simple. However, you won't notice that in Lightwave, but that's a different matter altogether.

HenkDawson
10-28-2005, 08:08 AM
The only reason that I'd get a faster card is so that Lightwave would go faster. Does anyone know if LW9 or a future version of OSX will benifit from the faster cards?

Captain Obvious
10-28-2005, 01:33 PM
A future version of Lightwave should benefit from it, yes, but you can always upgrade the video card later, when Lightwave does benefit from it.

marlo.steed
10-28-2005, 02:41 PM
So, Captain Obvious,

Why wouldn't Lightwave benefit from a faster graphics card now?

Doesn't it use standard OpenGL rendering, thus be benefited from a faster graphics card?

Captain Obvious
10-28-2005, 04:05 PM
It uses OpenGL, but definitely not standard OpenGL. NewTek has been pretty straightforward on this issue, and have said they're working on correcting it. Basically, they made their own implementation instead of using the system one, back when that made sense. Of course, that was probably in the Mac OS pre-X days... Decisions that made sense many years ago might not make sense now, and they're trying to switch it over to using wholly native OpenGL.

HenkDawson
10-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Thank you Captian Obvious. Thanks to your advice, I just upgraded my card on my Quad order.

Henk
D3D.com (http://www.d3d.com)