PDA

View Full Version : Merging UV Maps

drfoley
10-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Olla,

I have 2 UV maps that I would like to combine into one; 1 for a hand and another for a forearm. These 2 objects are connected and so right now there is an ugly seam where they meet. Combining these 2 UV maps would get rid of the seam. So how would you do this?

I tried Copying and Pasting UV's from 1 map to another but that just created a mess. And I heard if you "merged" UV's you would "lose your point order"; whatever that means.

So how would I do this?

Thanks for the help.

DrFoley

richdj
10-26-2005, 04:43 PM
OK, make the original map, leave enough room for the rest.. following that, select the polys for the second (additional) map, and select 'make UVs', this will then give you the option of which map to add it too, add as needed and there you go..

Hope this helps, let me knwo if you need more...

Rich

evenflcw
10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Rich, that will certainly assign UVs to an existing map, but it doesn't copy from one existing map to another. Or am I not following your steps correctly?

DrFoley, how are you copying and pasting the UVs? Are you using the commands Copy UVs and Paste UVs or using the Vertex Maps Browser. If you were using the first, try the latter! :)

Simply open up the VMaps browser. Rmb-click the UVmap you which to copy and select Copy Vertex Map from the popup menu. Then type the name of the existing UVmap in the dialog box you wish to paste into. Polygon selection is optional if you want to restrict what parts of an UVmap to copy.

I don't know for sure what Copy and Paste UVs command are meant for. But judging by their odd results I'd say they simply aren't working correctly or are not meant to be used for what most people would imagine. They seem to be "per poly" uvmapping tools. As such they are really meant to be used to copy and paste the uv properties of ONE polygon to several other polygons that AREN'T sharing the same points. It relies on point order (also called index; This is the same order you might have selected points in when using Make Polygon command) when copying UV vales from one polygon to the next. Naturally then if you try to run it with a multiple selection and with polygons that share points it won't work that well. "Per poly" uvmapping tools aren't used in normal cases.

mkiii
10-26-2005, 06:46 PM
This would be a no brainer if the Copy UV panel just had a dropdown list of all the UV maps that you have stored, the same way that the make UVs, and New UV Map commands have. I'm not sure why the latter has a dropdown.

It would help in general if most of these tools were a little more consistant, and if the names were a little clearer.

evenflcw
10-26-2005, 07:40 PM
This would be a no brainer if the Copy UV panel just had a dropdown list of all the UV maps that you have stored, I agree. It would be nice with a dropdown list with existing vmaps of equal/compatible types in the Copy Vertex Map dialog.

But what I think would be even better is to have proper Copy and Paste commands in this rmb-menu. This way you wouldn't have to bother with a dialog at all. Just select a couple of vmap(s), do Copy (point/poly selection optional). Select some other vmap(s), do Paste. Much more efficient and comforming more to the norm how Copy/Paste usually works.

make UVs, and New UV Map commands have. I'm not sure why the latter has a dropdown.Although New UV Map, telling by its name, is meant for making brand new UV maps the dropdown does enable it to also do an Assign UV (=the less ambigous name of Make UVs command). An ability I'm sure many people don't know of, and many people would like it to keep (self included). It's just very convenient to be able to create aswell as assign UVs without having to dig through the menus for these commands. Conversely the Assign UV command can create a brand new UV map aswell. Personally I tend to prefer tools that aren't limited in what they can do just so users are prevented to make mistakes. This might help new users, but it restricts experienced users. For one, I really HATE the fact that the Bone Tools only work on frame 0. Not everyone likes to rig on frame 0! :devil:

and if the names were a little clearer.I agree again. Aall UV commands meant for per poly uvmapping should imho have "(per poly)" added to their name so as not to be confused with "regular" UV tools. This is already the case with some of the "per poly" uv commands.

Dodgy
10-27-2005, 03:37 AM
Hopefully these sorts of overlaps will get sorted with the rewrite of 9.

drfoley
10-31-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks Even,

I tried at first using Copy UV's. Didnt work so I tried your method and that did it. That helps out alot.

DrFoley

jeanphi
10-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Copy UV works only on unwelded models and only if you have same selection order.

You go to this thread for more info:

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4371

Or just read this summary.

unveld first (very important!!!), select an uv map, select polys, uvcopy, select an other uvmap (or the same), select target polys, uvpast.

If you want to do this on differents objects, as the selection order is important, isolate polys you need to uvcopy/past in two layers and use select invert for selecting all your polys (or lasso selection).
If point order isn't the same you will need to use Rekniter.p befor, or uvrotate, uvflip to fix polys that have wrong uv order.

For point order:

URL: http://www.flay.com/plugs/downloads/Rekniter.p

It will reorder points order from diffrents meshes.

For UV polysection copy past:

URL: http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/vmap.htm#UVEdit