PDA

View Full Version : Edge Loop

sculptactive
10-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Still no Edge Loop or similar named tool in Modeler, to create seams for UVMaps

I was hoping 8.5 would have it.

Anyone think it'll be in 9. I cannot believe such a useful tool is still missing. I cannot think of another app that does not have it.

WilliamVaughan
10-26-2005, 10:27 AM
can you give an example of what the tool does? I'm not sure I follow?

Wickster
10-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Are you talking about tools like selecting "poly loops" and then dividing them (bandsaw pro)? or selecting "point loops/ring" and then splitting them (i know theres a way to do this but i can't remember right now without coffee)?

or is there an actual tool called "edge loop"? because I was looking for "edge loop" tool a while back but somebody had explained to me that its not really a tool you can find but a process of modeling, especially modeling human faces. But that person could be wrong :D

BazC
10-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Just like loop select selects a band of polys, edge loop select will select a series of connected edges. Strictly speaking it should only work on edges connected via four edged verts and at each vert it selects the edge which does not border a common polygon (the opposite one in other words) if you want to try it download Wings. It's seriously useful and I can't imagine Newtek adding edge support without it so my guess is it's already in LW9! - Baz

Wickster
10-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Just had a sip of coffee...

You can do something similar but with points instead of edges. just select 2 points of the edge where you want the loop to be selected go to the 'View' tab under 'selection' -> 'More' -> 'Select Loop'

Again this only selects the points on that loop. but having LW 9 support edges, its a really good chance that that tool will be there.

sculptactive
10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
In other apps this tool is used to define seams for UVMapping, passing the mouse over the surface of your 3D model, it seeks to automatically select the loop and create a seam, splitting the points in 2 for Mapping.

In LW @ present you can Select Loop and UnWeld but this creates 4 points, you then have to merge the polygons either side to get your 2 points. It is a painfully slow process compared to the Edge Loop Tool

BazC
10-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Wickster - Thankyou! I'd already tried using loop select to select an edge loop and couldn't get it to work. I've just realised I was selecting in wireframe view and consequently selecting 2 pairs of points. Just tried it again in shaded view and it works great lol! Cheers!

Sculpactive - Now you've confused me! I use edge loop select and create in Wings, Silo and Cinema and none of those work in the way you describe. Could you post some pics? I'm struggling to understand what you want :(

I don't see that there's any need to physically split the mesh for mapping, in Wings for instance you can just select or mark the edges where you want your map to split. Or have I misunderstood you? - Baz

Limbus
10-26-2005, 11:30 AM
In LW @ present you can Select Loop and UnWeld but this creates 4 points, you then have to merge the polygons either side to get your 2 points. It is a painfully slow process compared to the Edge Loop Tool

There is a plugin called edge opener out there that you might want to try.

sculptactive
10-26-2005, 11:36 AM
BazC

We are talking about the same thing. You are correct there is no need to physically split the mesh for mapping just mark edges where you want your map .
I use blender to do it at present, but from what I have seen all the apps you mentioned, do the same thing. I was trying to explain how I create a seam, if I stay within LW and have ended up misleading you.

BazC
10-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Ah OK! I'm with you now! :)

Dodgy
10-26-2005, 04:04 PM
There are lots of ways to do this.
In 8.2(and below) you could select the polys within the seam, and cut and paste that section. This will make the points discontinuous and you can move that section in UV space (if they aren't, hide everything but that section, unweld and merge and they should then move). When you merge the object back together the UV's will stay discontinuous.

In 8.3 (and above) you can just grab as before, select Free Move mode just above the UV view and use any tool to move the section away from the others thus creating the seam. You can even do it point by point, just select the polys along one edge, and move or use drag to pull the points from that side away.

Basically any method for separating the points and then merging them is good for pre 8.3, while the free move mode works for 8.3 and 8.5.

sculptactive
10-27-2005, 09:04 AM
I find most things can be done within LW with a bit of patience, unfortunately patience is what is needed sometimes.
The point is Edge Loop does a particular job very well thatís why the other 3D applications have it and why it is unbelievable that LW still does not have.

WilliamVaughan
10-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Well until LW 9.0 when we have true edges there will be no tool for LW that will select edges.....but you can select the point on connecting edges

sculptactive
10-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Hey Proton, I'm looking forward to 9. If i'm not mistaken you use UnFold in your work flow. Just imagine being able to mark your seams in LW with an edge loop tool and export to UnFold. Heaven!

WilliamVaughan
10-27-2005, 01:55 PM
No need...the New version of Unfold has the seam marking built right in....takes a couple clicks and I have the UV map that I need...no need to prime it in LW now.

sculptactive
10-27-2005, 02:38 PM
You see thats my point, every apps got this funtion except LW.

WilliamVaughan
10-27-2005, 03:01 PM
like I said before...without true edges...could you reallyhave "this" feature....wait till you get edges in 9.0 to see if this tool will be there or not.....my 2 cents

somnambulance
10-27-2005, 03:59 PM
I find most things can be done within LW with a bit of patience, unfortunately patience is what is needed sometimes.

I love the "you 'can' do that" attitude with LW. That and the "there's a plugin for that". You could eat hot soup with your bare hands, and if there isnt a spoon on the tabel when you sit down, you gotta go find one.

There is a mess of new features that should be available with LW9 edge tools, but I dont see them on the feature list, are they not announcing every little thing or is newtek leaving that for people to make plugins so we have to go on another wild goose chase looking for them?

evenflcw
10-27-2005, 04:55 PM
I love the "you 'can' do that" attitude with LW. That and the "there's a plugin for that". You could eat hot soup with your bare hands, and if there isnt a spoon on the tabel when you sit down, you gotta go find one. If there's no spoon, don't go looking for one! Work around the problem! Pick up the bowl and drink the soup! That's the LW way! No wonder the japanese like LW so much.

I'm excited to see edges in LW, and all the wonderful tools that go with them :)

Dodgy
10-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Well they said with the extracting of the modelling core and the addition of edges there will be a lot of tool consolidation going on, so we should see tools disappear, and fewer better tools in their place, so it's logical that they aren't going to list every little thing...