PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference

brett802
10-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Hey Everybody,
I've been milling around looking for a good 3D software and stumbled on a copy of lightwave ver. 8. The version I have has the following:
Discovery Version after the lightwave 8 title at the top of the window. Is this the full version or just a demo version or "lite" version? This was sold to me by a retailer and I can't get the software to save objects or load objects into the scene editor. I get an error message that anything over 400 points can not be done in the Discovery Version. Any information or help anyone can offer would really be appreciated.
Thanks, Brett

Silkrooster
10-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Discovery version is a demo and is a full version in one. To use the full version you need a dongle a peice of hardware that plugs into the usb port or the parrallel port. Also you need to get a license number from Newtek. This number is tied to the dongle, this way you can have a version on multiple computers, but only the one with the dongle is capable of saving more than 400 points per layer, rendering without the checkerboard and able to run the hub. Plus several plugins require the dongle.
Look for a pdf file in the lightwave directory or a html help file, this should tell you more about the installation process.
Hope this helps
Silk

brett802
10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Hey Silkrooster,
Thanks for the info. I've installed many complicated software programs and never heard of a dongle, go figure. Where and how much is one of those gizmos. If I get one I can purchase a code to unlock the full version and be up and modeling in no time. Thanks again for the help.
Brett

ACLOBO
10-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Where do you get a license and dongle? The answer is simple. You buy them from the company that runs this site - the makers of lightwave..

You are here... Go to the link that says "BUY NOW" and you too can have a legitmate, working copy of Lightwave for your very own.

-Adrian

:thumbsup:

Silkrooster
10-26-2005, 04:41 PM
When you buy a legitimate version of lightwave the dongle comes with the software. ACLOBO is correct if you did not get a dongle then you can purchase a full version from this web site Newtek store (http://shop.newtek.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3)
Depending on what you paid your your version. A couple of dollars for a demo vs. 100's of dollars for a full version you may need to contact the Attorney General to file a fraud complaint.
Also if the program was fraudulent, contact Newtek, so they can be aware if it.
Hope you can get it sorted out,
Silk

mattclary
10-27-2005, 07:55 AM
This was sold to me by a retailer

Who and where was this retailer?

lardbros
10-27-2005, 03:31 PM

I'm not sure but i reckon they were called Warez 'R' Us.

Celshader
10-27-2005, 03:55 PM

For what it's worth, SafeHarbor sells the Discovery CD for $3:
http://www.sharbor.com/vendors/NTK.html

Dunno if that's the same retailer that sold brett802 his copy, though.