PDA

View Full Version : USS Constitution - (Ship)

JML
10-24-2005, 05:27 PM
I finally finished that scene.
it's the most complex scene I've done I think.

(4 200 000 polygons
410 objects
150 bones
simulated cloth for the sails and flags..)

lighting is made of 1 sun (area light) , and 2 point lights (specular only)
radiosity monte-carlo 2x6
Rendered with LW8.5, (Fprime was only for preview this time)
an 1024*683 render takes 45 minutes on a dual 3.2ghz
(probably would take 15minutes with Fprime ;) )
(but could not use fprime because I was using some plugin.. which I later find out I did not need...)

Dodgy
10-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Very very nice :)

ekho
10-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Simply amazing,and a big polygon madness:P

:thumbsup:

Let's animate it:)

byez:

ekho

Captain Obvious
10-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Holy moly!

starbase1
10-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Very very nice - from the subject line I was expecting another trekkie effort!
:D

Promethius
10-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Heee heeee, me too. I thought I was going to see the Star Trek version :) .
Great good dude. :thumbsup:

JML
10-25-2005, 08:55 AM
thanks everybody :)

I never watched startrek too much,I did not know...
I should have added 'sail ship' in the name of the thread..

(and in case somebody doesn't know, USS constitution is a real ship, now a museum-ship but you can still visit it in Baltimore MD..)

spec24
10-25-2005, 09:29 AM
thanks everybody :)

I never watched startrek too much,I did not know...
I should have added 'sail ship' in the name of the thread..

(and in case somebody doesn't know, USS constitution is a real ship, now a museum-ship but you can still visit it in Baltimore MD..)

Beautiful rendering!
Isn't the USS Constitution in Charlestown MA? And it is sea-worthy. http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/

JML
10-25-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure where it is anymore... I thought it was at boston first, then baltimore..
this website says that it's at boston.. http://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org/about/index.html
the thing is that there was 5 other sister ship.. , so maybe there is more than 1 museum.. I'm not sure..

spec24
10-25-2005, 10:17 AM
eh- knowing the government, they probably misplaced it :)

richdj
10-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Excellent render, so much there, and a good render time too....

Rich

otacon
10-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Really cool. Thats a good render time for so many objects.

Promethius
10-25-2005, 07:14 PM
I am 45 minutes from Boston, and the last time I knew that it's still their. I do not think anyone can tour the ship, ever since after 911. I think it's dry docked now. I stepped foot on the the ship twice so far. A real sense of history that you can actually touch. I have the Revell 1:96 scale model U.S.S. Constitution(Old Ironside).

adrian
10-26-2005, 03:54 AM
Truly brilliant! What I like best about this is there's loads going on in the scene to keep the viewer intrigued.

(Funny, I was expecting a Star Trek render too).

Adrian.

JML
10-26-2005, 07:12 AM
thank you all,

I started modelling this after seeing the 'Star Wars-Blockade Runner'
(http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37426)
and wanted to do something with lots of detail too.. I later decided to do a boat, and to add less detail then the blockade runner ;)

I was thinking first doing a huge battleship (WW2) then decided to do a sail ship.
then I decided to do the amerigo vespucci, but was surprised there was no guns on it ;) and I could not get enough plans to build it.

then I went to a model store to look for a sail ship model. they did not have a lot, uss constitution looked pretty good I thought and bought a small model of it.
(I like the black and white of ship's hull)

mkiii
10-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Nice.

It's good to see something different.

Almost makes me want to go ahead & make that model of HMS Victory, I keep thinking about ;)

Just one thing tho' You should check out the US flag.... At the time the ship was in use, and up until 1818, the flag had 15 stripes & 15 stars, as in the flag from ''the star spangled banner''.

http://www.hpsd.k12.pa.us/archives/clausen/flags/1812/E04.htm
http://sal.ponypost359.org/flagfiles/usaflags.html

JML
10-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Just one thing tho' You should check out the US flag.... At the time the ship was in use, and up until 1818, the flag had 15 stripes & 15 stars, as in the flag from ''the star spangled banner''.

http://www.hpsd.k12.pa.us/archives/clausen/flags/1812/E04.htm
http://sal.ponypost359.org/flagfiles/usaflags.html

I guess I should have spent a little more than 20$ for that plastic model..
I made the 3D flag looking at the flag that was inside the box thinking it was correct..
it had less stars than usually so I thought it was correct.. Doh!

eheupel
10-27-2005, 08:46 PM
I love this one, especially since it is the true USS Constitution.
Made of Live Oak...very strong...
I've got to start doing some of the Historic ships here in Mystic...

(By the way, she is available for tours still, every 30 minutes at her dock in Charlestown)

Demon
10-28-2005, 03:12 AM
hey mate,

great job. its always easy to critisize instead of doing it better. But there are some things i am missing:

1. i would expect much more people working on a dock. Feels so empty
2. the model looks to straight, wood, after beeing in service for some years gets feormed a bit. The crowsnest looks too sharp in my opinion. all in all too "clean"
3. the ropes could use some texture or some detail. check out the free plugin ropedesigner. perfect for doing ropes. the ropes seem to black for me.

well all in all a decent pic. Keep up the good work. just my 2 cents...

cheers,

Demon

mattclary
10-28-2005, 06:02 AM
1. i would expect much more people working on a dock. Feels so empty
2. the model looks to straight, wood, after beeing in service for some years gets feormed a bit. The crowsnest looks too sharp in my opinion. all in all too "clean"
3. the ropes could use some texture or some detail. check out the free plugin ropedesigner. perfect for doing ropes. the ropes seem to black for me.

I tend to disagree:
1. Not necessarily, it seems like early morning to me.
2. I think it looks fine. It's a Navy ship, not some pirate ship cobbled together.
3. At the distance we are seeing it from, the ropes look appropriately textured.

My only critique is some of the picture looks a little over illuminated. The aforementioned crows nest looks a little too brightly lit. Perhaps the diffuse is a little high? I think there should be a little more contrast between the lit and shadowed side.

Overall, a really great picture!

3dworks
10-28-2005, 08:59 AM
very very nice, this image has almost the 'patina' of an old marine painting! one question, are the seamen poser figures?

JML
10-28-2005, 01:32 PM
yes, this picture was supposed to be early morning, :thumbsup:
and at first I was not going to put any sailors, but after some co-workers pushed me, I decided to add some, I added more, then decided it was too much, and removed some..
the sky was exported from Vue5.

I made those people, they are not well made because I did not want to spend a lot of time on them.. the focus was the ship..I think the 2 on the front are fine but I wish I would have removed the one on the top-right near the cart..

I textured most of the ropes, you can see the textures better at higher resolution, and some ropes were actually model (bottom left).
(if all the ropes would have been modelled, I would have needed 20Gb of ram ;) )

some peope said that the sailor were too bright, and I agree,
(one detail though is that the sailor on the right are catching the sun, wherewas the sailors far on the left are in shadows..)
(their 'white' is the same as the white as the boat)
they should have been a darker color like a dark blue for example..

here another image :
(this one took like an hour)

JML
10-28-2005, 02:53 PM
another one..

bluerider
10-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Truely awesome ship, what a fantastic job.

You mention something about Vue and doing the sky.

Can you set the sun up for the time of day like in skytracer?

eheupel
10-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the additional views...

I would definitely change out the colors of the sailors clothes...
Depending on the time period you are shooting for...
Before 1817 there was no proscribed uniform. Commonly it would have been canvas duck slops in either naturl (cream color) or "Virginia Cloth" which was hemp/linen mix usually in blue and white stripes (3-6" wide stripes), a dark jacket and a loose fitted linen or hemp/linen blend shirt, usually in natural color (cream)

After 1817 ther first enlisted uniforms came to being... if you want more info about those just ask away...

JML
10-28-2005, 05:45 PM
in vue5 , there are a few skies, that's one of them, they have for sunset,sunrise, bad weather,etc.. I don't know if you can set the time of the day.. I don't know Vue that much..

eheupel, when I was doing this image, I had problem finding reference for the dock and the sailors.. I bought a small book that had some drawings to help me doing the dock, but it was not much...
I think if I would want to do a historical accurate image, I would have to re-do the docks, sailors, flags, and maybe other things too..
you seem to know a lot about that era, if I would have knew, I would have contacted you :)

bluerider
10-29-2005, 04:55 AM
What technigue/ tools did you use for the water, nice job on that too.

Thanks for responding on my question concerning the sky :) .

JML
10-29-2005, 12:44 PM
thanks,
the water was just a subdivided plane, with a 'underwater' procedural as
mesh transformation.
the texture, crumple and turbulence as a bump, a couple of gradients for reflection, and a very high specular.

the water looks fine when still, but if I would animate it, I would probably need to work more on it..

bluerider
10-29-2005, 01:48 PM
JML,

I thought you might have used that. However, you've made it work really well. I've fiddled with that effect and my efforts were lamentable.

Sorry for being a pain, but how exactly did you apply the gradients for the reflection maps? :)

JML
10-29-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm posting the surface of the ocean I used, you might have to re-scale that texture because my models in that picture were not are at real scale..

hope that helps you.

bluerider
10-30-2005, 02:22 AM
Awesome, thanks for doing that. I'm going to study the properties of that water you've posted.

One of the things that most impresses me about the LightWave community, is how many of its practitioners share information. :thumbsup: :lwicon:

Stooch
11-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Badass!!! Two thumbs up, probably one of the best water implementations ive seen in LW.