PDA

View Full Version : Bones disconnect from object

wulfie
10-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Really I have 3 big problems. All in Layout.

I save all objects and scene always. When I re-open this same scene the bones in my characters have become detached. Sometimes just one character. Sometimes re-resting them on frame 0 works, but many times not.

When I load an object or a null it takes on the name of an object that is already in the scene. I can't move it or delete it. If I delete it, it also deletes the object with it's namesake along with it. So far I have deleted my config files with no improvements. I have not tried reinstalling LW.

I am suffering many many crashes as well.....like sometimes I can only do one thing...then it crashes....or worse I can't do anything....it just crashes if I move the mouse.

The crashing goes away if I delete my config files. But it comes back after a few days.

Will upgrading to 8.5 help me? And is the machine I have below enough to use 8.5 with? Gees is is enough even for 8.3? I didn't used to have this kind of trouble in 7.5. Do I need another Service pack?

Help!!!!

I am attempting to put out a full length feature with LW. This can't keep happening. I feel like I am no longer being creative with LW. I feel like I am fighting a battle.

And many many thanks if you you are able to help!

Bev

Using LW 8.3 on a Dell Workstation 650 PC
Dual Xeon 3.06 CPU's
Nvidia Quadro4 980 XGL Graphics card
One gig of RAM,
Windows XP Service Pack 1.

andypete
10-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Hey Bev,
I've often found the Hub to be the source of my crashes. If I don't need it, I disable it (especially on the Mac). Worth a try.

I've been working with 8.5 on a Dell similar to yours and it's been crashing (8.3 didn't). If you're in the middle of a project, I'd wait on 8.5. People are also reporting odd display problems. My graph editor is unusable.

The bone problem is interesting. Something similar is happening to me. At first I attributed it to scene file corruption due to crashing. I be watching the replies on this one.

Andy

Celshader
10-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I have a question for wulfie...are weight maps involved, here? If so...is Layout losing its weight map assignments for the bones?

wulfie
10-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Thank you so much for your replies AndyPete and Cel Shader. Drat and blast it all. I'm sorry to hear that 8.5 has it's own set of troubles. I will be in the middle of this project for the next 2 years. My graphics card is getting a little senile too. Let me know if that graph editor problem has a work_around. I can't live without it. I will check on that weight map thing Cel Shader. At least in one case I can say they weren't lost or confused.

Hoping for a solution soon!

Bev

Celshader
10-25-2005, 12:51 AM
It's tough to debug this stuff without screenshots or seeing it firsthand...but...

...taking another stab in the dark...

...did you alter the pivot rotations of any of the bones, with "Record Pivot Rotation"..?

That's something I stay far, far away from in my own rigs, whenever possible. I've seen other folks alter pivot rotations successfully without any issues, but it usually ends up messing with me down the line more than anything else.

wulfie
10-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks to both of you AndyPete and Cel Shader for trying to help me out. Thought you might like to know how it all turned out.

I am back to running smoothly. I did a complete reinstall of Windows XP and everything else. Turned out I was running on a very corrupted OS. Also I am back to running LW 8 which right now is good enough for me. So far no lost bones and well. can't say no crashes. Mimic likes to crash LW 1 out of 3 times.....but as to LW itself...no problems..... yet.....knock on plastic.

Thanks again!

Bev