PDA

View Full Version : Untargeting resets orientation: bug/feature ?

Emmanuel
10-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi,

LW 8.5, WinXP, P4-2.8 Mhz, 1Gb Ram

When I target the camera or a light to a null and untarget the camera/light again, the camera/light is reset to default orientation, while in 7.x it would keep looking at its former target (which was good).
Can someone confirm this ?
Here's two screens, where I target the camera to the light, I have checked AutoKey, Parent in Place etc:

Castius
10-24-2005, 01:42 PM
While your camera is set to targeting set a rotation key. Then remove the targeting.

Emmanuel
10-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Not quite what I need, castius ;)
Why would it be necessary to actually set a key ?
In 7 no key was needed.
Anyway, even when I set a key (just tried it), the result is the, as soon as I untarget the camera looks elsewhere...

EDITING:I was wrong, when I set a key for rotation only, it works, when I untarget the camera keeps looking at the former target as it should, but that is not how it was before in 7 ! Why this additional step ?

Lightwolf
10-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi there,
is parent in place turned on or off?
It needs to be on for the rotation to "stick".
Cheers,
Mike

Emmanuel
10-24-2005, 03:09 PM
PiP is *on*.
Besides: I wonder why targetting must rely on "parent in place" ?
I am not parenting anything, just targeting :)

Lightwolf
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
I am not parenting anything, just targeting :)
Oops, sorry, my mistake, I misread the subject *hides in shame*
The only other thing that might influence it (if that has changed in the last release) could be the setting of autokey.

Cheers,
Mike

habaņero
10-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Can't you just make a clone in the good position?

evenflcw
10-25-2005, 12:39 PM
The extra step is the way it should be. Targeting shouldn't leave footprints if removed. If it didn't visually create a key automatically to make the rotation stick, then that would mean the pivot rotation must be tampered with. If all modifiers worked this way, we would be in a world of pain! Whatever you claim 7 did, I think it did it wrong and I'm glad they changed it :)

Targetting in LW sucks anyways. Better to use IK to target. It's more reliable and usable.