PDA

View Full Version : HD Instance for Mac - Petition -

Nigel Baker
10-24-2005, 02:22 AM
Hello Everyone,

This thread is being started to show Happy Digital who make HD Instance that there is a want for their plug-in "HD Instance" (www.happy-digital.com)

So if you would like to have this plug-in ported over to the Mac add your comment to this thread (even just a Y/N) and happy Digital can see for themselves how much demand (if any) there is for such a plug-in.

By the way its a Yes please from me

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would just like to make it clear that this is not a Happy Digital bashing but just a show of support for their HD Instance. Maybe Newtek are considering putting it into LW?

Captain Obvious
10-24-2005, 02:39 AM
Yes please!

3dworks
10-24-2005, 04:23 AM
yes, it's one of the 'must have' :)

Dodgy
10-24-2005, 04:41 AM
I'll support this, even if I'm not on a mac because I think it's an ace plugin :)

Weepul
10-24-2005, 05:40 AM
Aye!

(Hrm, posts have to be 10 characters long?)

Darth Mole
10-24-2005, 05:59 AM
I don't know what happened here. Richard Brak was working on it, but I've since had no replies from Graham at HD or Richard himself. However I do know that Richard is an incredibly busy man, so perhaps we need to find another Mac genius to help with the recompiles... Any takers?

Oh, and I'd buy a copy too, BTW.

kfinla
10-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Yes Please!

juanjgon
10-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Yes ... all we need HD-Instance on Mac :)

BazC
10-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Yes, yes, yes! We NEED HD Instance!

habañero
10-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Aye! This is a long enough answer!

toby
10-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Aye, we need it, it's been long enough!

HappyD could get help from someone like Richard Brak.

Darth Mole
10-24-2005, 12:47 PM
See my post earlier up...

somnambulance
10-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Yes. yes

cgolchert
10-24-2005, 05:09 PM
So if you would like to have this plug-in ported over to the Mac add your comment to this thread (even just a Y/N)

No, I'm good. :)

jat
10-24-2005, 09:32 PM
yes, I'll have the sirloin steak well done, some cole slaw, a beer and oh yeah throw in an HD instance would ya..... ;D

fyffe
10-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Hmm.... if only I had a Mac Mini... then I might be able to compile it myself. Could be worth the investment :)

gatz
10-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Sure, I'll buy. But do these petitions really help? I always thought it was better to send a polite letter with a credit card # ;)

Still waiting for a 16 Bit Tiff import... and Surpasses... and that cool toon shader for Maya.

Darth Mole
10-25-2005, 01:55 AM
$499 for a mac mini (assuming you have keyboards and stuff). That equates to just three-and-a-bit HD Instance sales before you're in profit :thumbsup:

Thomas
10-25-2005, 03:43 AM
HD Instance for Mac = YYEEESSSS!!!

Regards
Thomas

toma
10-25-2005, 04:34 AM
I want it too… :D

in fact I need it badly because I already have it 8/… I use it with LW win32 and it's great… but loading a scene using HDinstance and/or objects with HDinstance shader is a pain when using LW mac because LW can't load HDinstance… (LW keap asking "do you want to load the plugin from disk")…

toma

parm
10-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Most certainly. Hope the petition helps hurry it along.

lesford
10-25-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm with Toma on this one. I use both platforms but don't like to use plugins that are not available on both platforms, hence I'm waiting for HD instance to go cross platform before I purchase. This stance seems a little goofy to me at times, but it pays off in convenience when I need to bounce the project from one platform to another.

The day you port is the day I buy.

Les Ford

fyffe
10-25-2005, 09:25 PM
$499 for a mac mini (assuming you have keyboards and stuff). That equates to just three-and-a-bit HD Instance sales before you're in profit :thumbsup:

Plus $499 for CodeWarrior, plus tax. Still, that's just 7 HD Instance sales, and I get a shiny new Mac to boot!

Weepul
10-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Don't forget more RAM! OS X loves RAM and you'll probably want it for compiling besides. ;)

Darth Mole
10-26-2005, 03:05 AM
Plus $499 for CodeWarrior, plus tax. Still, that's just 7 HD Instance sales, and I get a shiny new Mac to boot!

Not to mention HD Caustics and Edge FX... plus whatever else you're working on. Come to think of it.. what ARE you working on? Whatever it is, it's been a long time coming :)

nthused
10-26-2005, 06:50 AM
Yep. I'm about to buy an imac 20 inch for video editing...would love to be able to source some work between my two machines...HD Instance has become essential to my work.

Lightwolf
10-26-2005, 07:13 AM
...and if LW would be XCode based you could actually scrap that second purchase... *sigh*
Cheers,
Mike - who's in a similar position soon.

Nigel Baker
10-27-2005, 05:10 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for taking an interest in this thread.
I remember reading about it first in "Key-Frame - Issue 31", thinking that this was indeed an invaluable tool.

I am eager to get more people to show a listed interest in this thread to help encourage the further developement and also the porting of HD Instance over to the Mac. So if you know of someone who would like this plug-in ask them to just add to the list.

Maybe if someone knows of someone else who has a plugin developed on both platforms they would be interested in talking to Graham?

Thanks again.

munky
10-27-2005, 05:27 AM
hello there

I'd buy hd instance and edge fx and caustics if they were available for the mac.

regards

paul

Activator
10-27-2005, 06:21 AM
I will buy HD Instance for the Mac on the first day it is available. :thumbsup:

Darth Mole
10-27-2005, 06:59 AM
See, now if the lovely Mr Fyffe did a 'Mac' bundle - all three plug-ins for say $249 - now that'd be good.

(I'm leaving out Pump-It, 'cos Blochi's Thickener seems to do the same job).

Dodgy
10-27-2005, 07:22 AM
I can definitely recommend edgeFX too. It's get for getting that worn edge effect on metals, woods, any type of surface really. And the price is even better than it was..

3dworks
10-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Not to mention HD Caustics and Edge FX... plus whatever else you're working on. Come to think of it.. what ARE you working on? Whatever it is, it's been a long time coming :)

yes, please edge fx for OSX too!!! :thumbsup:

toma
10-28-2005, 01:19 AM

I think that you can be sure to sell more copies than that !

maybe we, the "petitioners" should engage ourselves to by one mac license ? ;)

toma

ps. if porting HDinstance is tedious, please :help: the people that use HDinstance but also have macs : could you release something, even a Lscript to avoid mac LightWave asking for the plugin everytime it loads a HDinstance enabled scene ?
A placeholder plugin that do nothing, but make lightwave think it has the plugin and the shader (and if possible keeps the parameters so the scene can be loaded back on the PC without loosing HDinstance settings)… pleaase ! :cry:

wacom
10-28-2005, 08:55 AM
I'd love to have it, but I'd like LW to support instances nativley more. In this day and age it's a crime to sell a 3D package without this feature- I'd take it over sub-pixel displacment any day. I can't see why more people don't put out feature requests for instances in LW- complex scenes etc would render soooo much faster.

cgolchert
10-28-2005, 10:32 AM
I can't see why more people don't put out feature requests for instances in LW- complex scenes etc would render soooo much faster.

ONLY if people are rendering scenes with a lot of the same thing in them.

Captain Obvious
10-28-2005, 01:30 PM
If instancing is good enough, you don't really need to instance out the same thing. For example, you don't have to instance out several ready-made houses. Instead you could build a house by instancing bricks and such. You don't have to instance finished trees. You could make separate trees and just instance the leaves and small branches instead.

cgolchert
10-28-2005, 01:42 PM
If instancing is good enough, you don't really need to instance out the same thing.

I know that you know what instancing is. And you pretty much went on to describe rendering out a bunch of copies of the same exact thing in the scene.

Captain Obvious
10-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Yes, but surely you agree that using the same brick instanced hundreds of thousands of times to create a variety of houses is quite different from instancing a single house a couple of times to create exact copies. Yes, it's still a "scene with a lot of the same," but what of it? Quite a few objects in daily life are quite detailed and very repeating. Instancing them makes perfect sense. I can't really think of any scene where you couldn't benefit from any kind of instancing.

(Remember that Lightwave has basic mesh instancing now. Only not memory-saving instancing. Think of the pain if you had to create a new model file if you wanted two or more copies of the same object in your scene, even if we ignore the memory issue completely.)

Dodgy
10-28-2005, 05:48 PM
For those that might be interested, here's pic of Edgefx in action. It's great for avoiding loads of bevelling, and for adding that scuffed look to objects very quickly.

gatz
10-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Now I'm sold on EdgeFX too! But then I'm a plugin whore.;)

HenkDawson
10-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Yep. That'd be a good thing. Edge FX too. :agree:

JackDeL
10-28-2005, 09:48 PM
I've been wanting Both Edge FX & HD Instance since I started using Lightwave back in 2000! YES! YES! :i_agree:

LSlugger
10-29-2005, 09:31 AM

It's a bit of a pain to set up, but you may be able to get away with the freely available MPW tools. However, if you've waited this long, you may as well wait for the long-promised Mach-O version of LightWave (and by "wait" I mean pester NewTek daily for a beta).

Darth Mole
10-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Now I'm sold on EdgeFX too! But then I'm a plugin whore.;)

Oh, thank God - I thought it was just me! Yes, Edge FX looks great. I'll have that too!

jeremyhardin
11-02-2005, 01:45 PM
yes from me too.

on the codewarrior note, doesn't xcode developer tools (standard shipping with osx) allow compiling so that codewarrior isn't needed?

Captain Obvious
11-02-2005, 02:51 PM
yes from me too.

on the codewarrior note, doesn't xcode developer tools (standard shipping with osx) allow compiling so that codewarrior isn't needed?
You can't compile plugins for a CodeWarrior-compiled application using Xcode. When Lightwave is Xcode, you can make plugins in Xcode.

jeremyhardin
11-02-2005, 03:02 PM
hmm. i see. i was under the impression that xcode could compile c and cpp and that nothing else was needed to make lw plugins. but i only lscript, so i'm a bit ignorant of the situation.

Weepul
11-02-2005, 06:21 PM
You can't compile plugins for a CodeWarrior-compiled application using Xcode. When Lightwave is Xcode, you can make plugins in Xcode.

Why?

A programming language isn't just a programming language, and a compiled program in said language isn't just a compiled program in said language?

LSlugger
11-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Why?

A programming language isn't just a programming language, and a compiled program in said language isn't just a compiled program in said language?

A program is compiled from a source language, like C, into a binary. The format of that binary varies, depending on the target platform. You can't run Windows programs on a Mac, for example, without something like VirtualPC. On Mac OS, there are actually two types of binaries: CFM and Mach-O. LightWave is CFM, so plugins have to be CFM too. Xcode only makes Mach-O binaries.

jeremyhardin
11-02-2005, 06:56 PM
A program is compiled from a source language, like C, into a binary. The format of that binary varies, depending on the target platform. You can't run Windows programs on a Mac, for example, without something like VirtualPC. On Mac OS, there are actually two types of binaries: CFM and Mach-O. LightWave is CFM, so plugins have to be CFM too. Xcode only makes Mach-O binaries.

a very well put explanation. i think i understand now.

Darth Mole
11-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Just bumping this back up.

And I wondered if Graham had bought that Mac mini yet?

Nigel Baker
11-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Well at least we have one more to the list.
Thanks Jeremy, aside from all that, the chatter about the coding issues and compiling is prooving very interesting, especially for myself, since my main area is design and typography.

Keep the HD Instance issue alive.

Nigel Baker
11-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Looks like things are moving along.
I hope we can get more people to sign up to this thread to encourage Happy Digital to maybe move the other products over as well.

Darth Mole
11-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Looks like things are moving along.

Do they? What have you seen?

stealthoperator
11-18-2005, 12:59 AM
Oh, how many times I wished HD Instance would be availlable for Mac!
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Puguglybonehead
11-18-2005, 01:49 AM
Definitely a yes from me. I can think of a lot of uses for this plugin. Would love to see a Mac version.

fyffe
11-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Just bumping this back up.

And I wondered if Graham had bought that Mac mini yet?

Yay, I'm now looking at a shiny little Mac Mini sitting on my desk. And it works with my monitor, mouse, and keyboard! Long live USB!

jeremyhardin
11-18-2005, 06:48 PM
sweet! this is good news indeed.

Dodgy
11-18-2005, 06:55 PM
I hope all you mac users are breaking open your wallets now :) Time to put up or shut up! :D

riki
11-18-2005, 08:35 PM
sweet looking forward to this. Also I've got a G4 I need to sell. Might be useful to some plugin developers.

parm
11-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Is it ready yet? :D

Nigel Baker
11-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Hello Dodgy,

Have you seen the "JCB" Video by Nizlopi.
If not check it out, there is a specific reference in it for you.

Enjoy.

JCB song (http://www.jcbsong.co.uk/)

Dodgy
11-19-2005, 11:50 AM
That is really really cool :) I love the video and the song is very groovy :) Absolutely wonderful!

Nigel Baker
11-19-2005, 11:53 AM
YEP,

Thought you would like it.
I do not know how many times I have gone back to look at the video and sing along.

The other stuff by Monkeehub is very interesting, especially the radiohead creep version of their song.

jeremyhardin
11-19-2005, 12:30 PM
YEP,

Thought you would like it.
I do not know how many times I have gone back to look at the video and sing along.

The other stuff by Monkeehub is very interesting, especially the radiohead creep version of their song.
a friend of mine showed that song to me a while back. I love it! It's really creative and fun.

fyffe
11-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Hmmm.... LightWave 8 is only getting to about 88% through the installation before it gives me this:

"There were errors installing the software", "Please try installing again"

Anybody know the solution straight off while I call NewTek?

Nigel Baker
11-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Hello Fyffe,

Is this on your Mac, with the instalation?

fyffe
11-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Yes, that's installing LW on the mac.

parm
11-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Make sure you are using the latest version of Stuffit Expander to unzip the download.

http://www.allume.com/mac/index.html

3dworks
11-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Hmmm.... LightWave 8 is only getting to about 88% through the installation before it gives me this:

"There were errors installing the software", "Please try installing again"

Anybody know the solution straight off while I call NewTek?

did you try to run cocktail on your mac (it's a mix of osx system routines packages under a convenient fast GUI)? - it fixes unix permissions and does some other maintenance jobs. sometimes, you need this after or before new software installation. it's the only repair tool that we use regularly on our macs. tip: use the 'pilot' to run them all!

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.html

otherwise, you can also try at least to fix the permissions on the install drive with disk utility.

hope it helps - cheers

markus

JackDeL
11-21-2005, 09:03 PM
You may also want to give Onyx a try, I've had good luck with this one.

http://www.titanium.free.fr :thumbsup:

Nigel Baker
12-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Hello All,

Yes it looks like things are moving along behind the scenes.
I am sure Happy-Digital will give us an update soon.

:thumbsup:

nthused
12-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Graham,

Just wanted to let you know how much I've appreciated your work...I know it's tough to keep up with all the changes AND support both operating systems. I recently purchased EdgeFX so that I wouldn't have to bevel all my edges - found that it was causing Modeler to crash - so I went to your page and found that you already had addressed the problem with a new patch - downloaded the fix and was back in business in less than 10 minutes.

Thanks again!

BTW, have you been in contact with NewTek on what effect the changes in 9 will have on HDInstance?

BazC
12-03-2005, 01:41 AM
You may also want to give Onyx a try, I've had good luck with this one.

http://www.titanium.free.fr :thumbsup:

Yup Onyx is excellent, highly recommended!

DanUR
12-03-2005, 08:05 PM
I will buy HD when it is available for the Mac.

fyffe
12-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey guys. Just want to let you know I've got the SDK compiling on my Mac Mini, and I've already got about half the HD Instance source files compiling! We're getting close! Once it compiles, I'll have to figure out how to get LW 8 to install properly so I can test it.

JackDeL
12-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey guys. Just want to let you know I've got the SDK compiling on my Mac Mini, and I've already got about half the HD Instance source files compiling! We're getting close! Once it compiles, I'll have to figure out how to get LW 8 to install properly so I can test it.

Thats great news! Will it work for all of us hold-outs still using 7.5d? :hat:

Darth Mole
12-15-2005, 01:51 AM
That's kind of ironic... and not in an amusing way. Has NT been any help in tracking down the problem?

toma
12-15-2005, 02:45 AM
Hey guys. Just want to let you know I've got the SDK compiling on my Mac Mini, and I've already got about half the HD Instance source files compiling! We're getting close!.

This is great news !

Once it compiles, I'll have to figure out how to get LW 8 to install properly so I can test it

Wow, I though this was adressed by now… is it the dongle that refuse to work ? maybe NT could mail you the files so you could install them manualy ? after all except for the dongle driver, Lightwave can be installed on a computer just by copying the program folder on the HD…

:)

toma

Weepul
12-15-2005, 02:59 PM

Great to hear it! Do you have any insight into whether it'll still work with LW 9?

jeremyhardin
01-09-2006, 12:31 PM
fyffe, perhaps this thread will help your install problems!
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43359

fabmedia
01-11-2006, 01:06 PM
yup. I could sure use it.

etobiason
01-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I need HD instance for a job I'm doing right now! I won't just buy one copy, I'll buy several for my Mac-based LW studio...!

:help:

ironlips
01-13-2006, 05:51 AM
I hope HD Instance isn't too far off for the mac, this new job is really going to need it!!!!

Cheers
Tony

dogs_dinner
01-16-2006, 05:27 AM
Yes

pretty please

Verlon
01-16-2006, 06:01 AM
Only considering a Mac right now....but emphatic yes

Nigel Baker
01-16-2006, 06:11 AM
Now that the Christmas and all the New Year celebrations are finally out of
the way, I am sure Happy Digital will post something up soon.
There is nothing up on the web site as of yet.
Maybe they are waiting to see if it works perfectly with LW9.

Just an idea.

fyffe
01-22-2006, 12:53 AM
fyffe, perhaps this thread will help your install problems!
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43359

Yes, that's done it! Thanks!

- Graham

fyffe
01-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Woohoo! LW is recognizing HD Instance on the mac now, and the interface is working! The rendering is not functional yet, but this is a huge step forward!

parm
01-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Absolutely brilliant. Really looking forward to this. :thumbsup:

jeremyhardin
01-22-2006, 07:54 AM
so fyffe, do you prefer paypal or visa? ;)

toby
01-22-2006, 12:47 PM
That's EXCELLENT news!

fyffe
01-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Oh, yeah. Pixel filter is operational! Now I just need to work out some issues with the Volumetric. Then I need to test the thing thoroughly :thumbsup:

BTW, don't worry about that massive render time. This is debug mode :)

Panikos
01-24-2006, 01:12 AM
Even though I am not a Mac-user, I am excited to see Graham's progress :heart:

Darth Mole
01-24-2006, 02:04 AM
And then we can have EdgeFX, right?

Nigel Baker
01-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Hello Graham,

This is great news. really looking forward to seeing a high end test result with times and textures.
Is there any chance that Newtek is thinking of looking at HD Instance - now that they have consumed LW-CAD from Viktor?
Just a thought. Because LW needs this type of plugin as standard.

Thanks again, look forward to seeing the updates.

fyffe
01-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Okay, I need some volunteers to help me test the beta :)

- Graham Fyffe

jeremyhardin
01-24-2006, 11:16 PM

- Graham Fyffe
sign me up. got a scene waiting to try it in now.
jeremyhardin AT hotmail.com
jeremy AT lwidof.net

Thomas
01-25-2006, 12:13 AM

I'm ready to give it a go as well :hey:

Regards
Thomas

BazC
01-25-2006, 12:15 AM
I'd love to try it! BazC at renderosity dot com

toma
01-25-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm here too :D ready to test my HD scenes from PC to Mac !

toma

parm
01-25-2006, 02:05 AM
I'd like to give it a spin please :)

Nigel Baker
01-25-2006, 02:28 AM
Yes Graham,

Count me in.

Regards.

Captain Obvious
01-25-2006, 07:14 AM
I would love to beta test it! ;)

blackmortyrackham AT gmail.com

Weepul
01-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I'd be interested in testing it out. If you're interested in someone who can test backward compatibility, I could help you out there too - I've got a system with OS X 10.2.8 and LW 7.5c and 8.2, and I've just gotten a new Quad which is running 10.4.x and could run the latest versions of LW as soon as I download them. ;)

Also, I don't remember if I already posted that I'd also be interested to see EdgeFX come to the Mac. :)

btaenzer (spambots suck) stanford.edu

jeremyhardin
02-08-2006, 09:13 PM
any news on this? still need beta testers?

IversonDesign
02-14-2006, 06:46 PM
"Originally Posted by fyffe Okay, I need some volunteers to help me test the beta - Graham Fyffe"

I would certainly be interested to assist with testing the beta. Glad to see the OS X port.

sjon
02-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes, please.

esconnell
02-15-2006, 11:55 PM
If you still need beta testers, I will give it a try. I am on a Dual G5.

RetroRobot1977
02-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Yes, Please!!!

fyffe
03-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Okay, the Mac version is now done! :beerchug:

http://www.happy-digital.com/buystuff.asp

Yay!

jeremyhardin
03-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Sweet! :beerchug: :thumbsup:

juanjgon
03-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Okay, the Mac version is now done! :beerchug:

http://www.happy-digital.com/buystuff.asp

Yay!

Yeesssss .... only one question ... for all of us who buy Windows version time ago, and now work also with Mac, any plan about some special price to upgrade or update from windows to mac version?

Good work :)

Nigel Baker
03-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Well this is truly great news.
Thanks for all the work Graham.
Now all we have to do is start odering copies?

Thanks again.

gatz
03-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks! Bought it immediately. You'll find that Macintosh dollars are more user friendly. ;)

Now about EdgeFX...

rg

munky
03-19-2006, 04:50 AM
Thankyou
I now have mine

yes and as Gatz said "about edge fx?"

go on you know you want to!!!!!!

regards

paul

juanjgon
04-07-2006, 05:25 AM
Well this is truly great news.
Thanks for all the work Graham.
Now all we have to do is start odering copies?

Thanks again.

I get mine today :) ... thanks Graham ;)

jludwig
05-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Me too, me too!!!!

Damondo
05-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Am I being stupid? I just went to the HD website and you can buy HD Instance for Mac already (LW 8.5+).

munky
09-06-2006, 01:46 PM
This is especially for Gatz,

Hi There,

just in case it's recent and not in this thread I thought you might want to know that "Happy Digital" now has

Edge_FX and HD_Pump it available for the mac.

hurrah

Happy Munky

I've also posted this in the plugins for mac thread

gatz
09-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I picked up HD Instance and HD EdgeFX as soon as they were offered. EdgeFX is the all purpose image sweetener.

rg