PDA

View Full Version : 10.2.6 Released

tumblemonster
05-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Anyone gutsy enough to install it? It supposedly fixed some openGL issues, as well as a USB bug that caused kernal panic with certain devices (Like maybe the dongle?). Ati still hasn't released any drivers for 10.2.5 and up.

-tm

Beamtracer
05-06-2003, 03:32 PM
I felt I got burned with 10.2.5. From now on I'm going to hold off on new OS updates, and leave the testing to the more adventurous folk.

turbo
05-06-2003, 03:32 PM
i will, right now!!! :D

turbo
05-06-2003, 03:49 PM
done deal! installed and about to test lw modeler... :D

btw.. in a previous thread i had mentioned i hadn't had a freeze since just around the time of the last quicktime update... but i had another one this morning in modeler.

so.. here goes! *crosses fingers :D :p

turbo
05-06-2003, 03:56 PM
ok, all you chickens..:D

... i can create/triple/smooth and spin like a son of a -----! except i'm a girl :cool: :D

no crashie.. :p .. no freezie..

but i'll keep y'all posted if somethin should happen. :)

Jimzip
05-06-2003, 07:27 PM
yeah well pcs are better then macs

Ade
05-06-2003, 08:40 PM
I tried it too, spun it spastically no crash...But i only had 5 mins to test, im not convinced as i had no backgrounds loaded.. I will trash it tonight!

JackDeL
05-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Well, I'll let you guys try it for a couple of days before I subject myself to another X update!!:D :D :D

I'm hoping 10.2.6 fixes it though!:cool:

turbo
05-07-2003, 12:45 AM
still no modeler crash.. but i did lose my mouse again.. :( ... had to ssh in from my ibook and reboot to get it back... so something is still wrong.

paintboy
05-07-2003, 05:50 AM
well i did it....dont know if that makes me brave or stoopid.
figured it could not be worse thanX.2.5
wasnt having modeler bug anyway(gf4)
but had seen some strange stuff. worked in layout and modeler for about 4 hrs last night with no glitches...just peachy.
Photoshop is now acting more like normal...no screen artifacting.
kwazy mouse behavior stopped. the monitor will now go to sleep with the tablet attached. Painter 8 is still doing strange stuff but its brand new anyway
so i am saying its painter, not the sys. all and all, pretty " smoove"
will post if things change.

Jimzip
05-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I installed it too, seems to be running perfectly now. haven't had a single problem.

Oh, and please ignore that last post of mine a few posts up. Some kind person at uni knew my password. I've changed it now.
If you know Jimzip, you'd know he'd never say a thing like that. lol

Jimzip:D

turbo
05-07-2003, 07:52 PM
lol, kool.. had me wondrin' :D

JackDeL
05-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Jimzip
Oh, and please ignore that last post of mine a few posts up. Some kind person at uni knew my password. I've changed it now.
If you know Jimzip, you'd know he'd never say a thing like that. lol

heh:D You had me wondering too! glad you changed your password!

I updated to 10.2.6 today (holding my breath the entire time) and I'm happy to report that all seems fine now! NO CRASH! (so far) ;)

I know I said I was going to wait, but I suffer from "update-itis":eek: Help me!:p :D

JackDeL
05-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Please disregard, my previous post.

BOOOM!:mad:

Back to 10.2.4 I go!

tumblemonster
05-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Jack-

What problem did you have?

-tm

Jimzip
05-08-2003, 10:08 PM
AAAAAAHHHH!!!:mad:
Me too!! Freezeitis!
(Although I had been using Lightwave for nearly eleven hours straight.. ;) )
Ah whatever, I save every few seconds, and I can bare the occasional system freeze. I'll just be sparing in the perspective view. I did notice that it's when I have quad view set with texture rendering style in the perspective view. Everything ran fine until about two hours after I changed the windows to the quad preset.

JackDeL
05-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by tumblemonster
Jack-

What problem did you have?

-tm

I had the same problem I had in 10.2.5. Crashing while spinning in perspective view. I usually view the perspective window full screen so I'm probably aggravating the issue. I also began having problem with my dial up connection, and was unable to get online until I downgraded to 10.2.4 (again)

This has cured me of my "update-itis" that is for sure!;)

toby
05-09-2003, 02:06 PM
being from the Lightwave OS9 days (yea, "back in the day") and working at a Mac dealership (til Mac put us out of business) if it ain't broke, don't upgrade!

I upgraded to 10.2.3 about a month ago, and all's well so I'm probably good 'til LW8 at least.

BrianW
05-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Well, this is only the second time I have posted here. I have been watching all of you guys for a while now from the background here and I just can't seem to understand all the problems. I have 7 macs, 2 dual 450's, 2 dual 800's, 2 dual 1 gigs and 1 titanium power book. The 2 dual 450's are around 3 and half years old. Now, all of my macs are currently running OS X 10.2.6 and I haven't had one problem. I haven't had any problems with my macs since I moved from OS 9 to OS X. No system freezes, no modeler crashes, no LightWave crashes! One hell-of-a stable OS. What I am not getting is that why do you guys have these problems and some don't? Could RAM be the reason? The reason why ask about ram is because all of my machines are max out in ram. Now, before I maxed out the ram, I did have few lightwave craches with the error messegae that lightwave unexpectedly stopped. This stopped after the ram upgrade! I am just trying to through some fixes in the air here to see what can fix these problems. I mean, these problems most of you say you are having, these where problems that I had on windows machines and the reason why I swith to mac 6 years ago. I just hate hereing about problems on the mac platform, it just gives the pc guys something to feed on! Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on ram? Could this be whats wrong, not enough ram?
Brian Warren

turbo
05-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Hi BrianW. All this you say is encouraging. I have a real affinity with my macs as well and am never discouraged by the rare hiccups.

Tell me.. what video card are you using with the dual 450's and are you using modeler and rotating in textured mode in perspective view?

BrianW
05-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Tell me.. what video card are you using with the dual 450's and are you using modeler and rotating in textured mode in perspective view?

My dual 450's are running ATI Rage 128 pro's with adc monitor connections. And yes, I am using modeler and rotating in textured mode in perspective view. I am into games and all of my models are textured completely with targa files and bmp files. I have to be able too see my texures as I apply them in perpective view. Now, when I do have alot of texures and polys things will slow down a bit in perspective view, but not crash or freeze thank god! I'll tell ya what I will do, I going to take a screen shot off of one of my dual 450's(1.5 gigs of ram) and get total poly count and total file size in textures that I am using on a project that I am currently working on. The model is an F16 Falcon that is totaly covered in bmp texture maps and a pretty good size poly count. I will get the specs a bit later in another post.
Brian Warren

JackDeL
05-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Brian, Up until the 10.2.5/6 updates I had no trouble with Lightwave at all. It has been rock solid for me under all versions of 10 through 10.2.4. if it really was a ram issue I think I would have had this modeler freeze issue a long time ago.:(

The issue lies somewhere between ATI and Apple. I am hoping that the legendary 7.5b Lightwave update will put these pieces together.

turbo
05-10-2003, 11:30 AM
I agree with JackDel on this one...
My video card is the ATI Radeon 8500 Mac Edition with the most recent driver from atitech.com.

Pensart
05-11-2003, 11:24 PM
I used to have a ati card 8500dv on a pc a year ago.
A lot of crashes (i'm sure it was the card or their drivers).
So i'm thinking, its not apple, its not newtek but it's ati with their bad drivers.

avoid ati iff possible ;)
i know i will.

turbo
05-11-2003, 11:26 PM
but its the only card that supports both 2x and 4x agp.. at least it was when I got mine... :p

Red_Oddity
05-13-2003, 06:13 AM
Well, i have a lot of issues with OS 10.2.6.

The g066amn CTRL-Fbuttons drive me nuts...Why the hell did Apple hardcode this 'i wanna help you 'coz your a dumb f-ing tit who doesn't know how a computer works' feature...
Turn of the keyboard helpy thingy in System Prefs, press CTRL-F1 to bring up my Scene editor (this turns the damn feature on again) and open up my Graph editor or Surface Editor and windows start popping up....

The Graph editor has MAYOR slowdowns (nVidia GeForce 4Ti4600 on dual 1.42GHz G4 with 1.5GB memory here)...this is since 10.2.6...

Weird workflow and window behaviour (in comparisment to the PC version)
The blasted FileRequester is still my biggest gripe...Whatever big friggin' tit at Apple thought we won't have file names that are longer than 10 characters should be tied over an anthill with his genitalia smeared with honey...i always have to hover my mouse over a file name and wait for the yellow window to pop up and show me the full name...

Sometimes when i start a render the damn infernal beachball starts spinning and it never stops again (unless i forcequit the whole sha-bang)
Weirdest part is, the damn cheapo 733MHz pc with a third the memory of my Mac seems to have no problems with scenes like this (it gobbles up half a Gig of virtual memory...but atleast it renders)

Ahwell, some folk are never satisfied, but i hate an OS that is overly present when i work and seems to get broken with every friggin' update....

malikai666
05-13-2003, 11:44 AM
This is such crap, Im so pissed that Im getting freezes with this update also, Its such a pain to reinstal 10.2.4, and are we sure that this is going to fix the problem? Has Newtech or apple addressed this problem at all?

tumblemonster
05-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Most folks (including me) are convinced this is a ATI driver problem. ATI's website shows the latest drivers approved only through 10.2.4, and unfortunately, ATI isn't much for customer service. Everyone who sends the problem to them gets a canned response (also me). There is some doubt that they are even reading the messages. It sucks. I just bought a Radeon 8500 5 months ago. It's the best card available that my machine can take advantage of, but now I'm stuck with no more system updates...

It helps (although, only a little) to remind myself that Panther (10.3) is coming out soon, and there is NO WAY that ATI can avoid updating for that, especially since Apple is pushing ATI higher end cards pretty hard through the Apple store.

-tm