PDA

View Full Version : LW Artisan tool - brush

kfinla
10-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Ok, i think i made this request a year ago or somthing but i find myself wishing for it again. How about an artisant tool.. where u can do some rudimentary sculpting, and smoothing of your mesh like in Maya. The ability to paint weights this way would be nice too.

papou
10-23-2005, 02:43 PM
In fact, i don't go to features request anymore but this time i wan't to second that.. again.. and again..

pixelinfected
10-23-2005, 04:33 PM
uhm, actually you just can paint weight on surface like artisan, directly from modeler with airbrush tool.

the use of real artisan in lw...
i think is so complex, be cause a good sculping tool mean a lots of poly, then need an application that manipulate million of poly, but no lw no maya do that.

better is to use zbrush, that build a correct displacement map, to use it in final part of work.

if you want to sculpt like artisan in lw, you do just from lw7, with a simple tricks, you build two morph, one where you resize obj to be smaller than original, one where you resize ogj to be bigger than original. activate airbursh tool, open numeric, and select paint morph small to push in, and select paint morph big to extrude out of obj.

if you try zbrush you know why i tell that, if you not try zbrush, download demo and you understand that.

papou
10-23-2005, 04:48 PM
well, i know about all of that.
still want airbrush for all of my modeler tool (smooth, smoothscale, jitter, vertexpaint, etc...)

kfinla
10-23-2005, 06:00 PM
i think using multiple morphs etc is a pretty BS solution to somthing thats lacking. i'm not asking to work with millions of polys in realtime like in zbrush.

I'm asking to do what maya does with thousands of polys.. push and pull points with a brush tool, to push points and sculpt things that dont line out with the x,y,or z plane and the abilty to smooth out bumps or ridges with this tool, instead of having to pull vertex by vertex with the drag tool.

I just think a brush appraoch like in maya would yeild faster and supeiror results.

evenflcw
10-23-2005, 06:53 PM
We can already paint weights in Modeler. I can't imagine the step to painting displacements instead should be that much far off. NT need only create a plugin that tranforms x,y,z values instead of alter vmap values. How hard can it be? :yoda:

I also think a versatile brush tool would be a good thing to have. It should be able to paint pretty much anything - vmap values, move, scale, smooth, smudge, subdivisions :)

True, untill LW/Modeler can push alot of points and polys it won't reach it's full potential. But it'd still be nice to have. I just feel something like that (versatile brush tool) should be part of any decent 3d modelers toolset.

Dodgy
10-23-2005, 07:08 PM
If you want to push polys around, make a morph map which has been smooth scaled/shifted and use that with your airbrush tool.

evenflcw
10-23-2005, 08:14 PM
I think everybody in this thread is aware of that method already. But mentioning it certainly isn't out of place. It just proves that making a brush tool that paints displacements is not very hard to do (for someone who can code a brush-type tool).