PDA

View Full Version : Character animation issues.

dranos
10-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Hi all,
I'm using Lightwave 8.0 on a G5 running Tiger (10.3.9) and I have two problems.

1. Whenever I use the cvt skelegons option after loading an object with bones, I get this message...
"A zero length skelegon was found. It will be converted to a default bone."
This never used to happen so what could be causing this? I end up getting a large bone attached to what I created as the first bone.

2. I have two similar characters with different textures that need to do a dance together. They are identical models with identical bone rigs. Is there a way to do one set of animations for one and copy them over to the other so they perform the same moves at the same time? Eventually they do thier own thing but for a good portion of the animation they need to do the same dance.

This is a rush project so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dodgy
10-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Maybe 1) is because you've had a skelegon which was shrunk to 0 in length somehow? Like if you quantized the object? Then merged down to a single point? Have a look...

If you want to match them in 2, a good way is to use motion mixer. You assign the bones which are animated in one to an 'Actor' and then you make a 'Motion' clip from them which contains their animation. You can then save this motion as a .hmot file, and import this onto the other object's bones (which again have been set in an Actor) fairly easily and quickly. If the names of the bones are different, you may need to select which bone matches with which bone, but it's quite painless.

dranos
10-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Maybe 1) is because you've had a skelegon which was shrunk to 0 in length somehow? Like if you quantized the object? Then merged down to a single point? Have a look...

If you want to match them in 2, a good way is to use motion mixer. You assign the bones which are animated in one to an 'Actor' and then you make a 'Motion' clip from them which contains their animation. You can then save this motion as a .hmot file, and import this onto the other object's bones (which again have been set in an Actor) fairly easily and quickly. If the names of the bones are different, you may need to select which bone matches with which bone, but it's quite painless.

Thanks, the only problem is that I've never used Motion Mixer. Is there any other traditional technique?
I'll check on the bone tip.