PDA

View Full Version : Post results of 3rd Party plugins with 64bit LW

gjjackson
10-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Since I have had some issues with 3rd party plugins not working in 64bit mode I decided to put up this thread for everyone to list what IS working and what is NOT working. I'm just getting started so I haven't found out much. When not working LW tells us that 'Cannot load external plugin'.

Fprime doesn't seem to load in 64 bit.
Eki's PlugPak/ ModPak is working.
BodyPaint plugin is Not working, v2. The download for 2.5 is the same file.
HD_Instance is Not working (Already got a reply from them. It will take some time he says. Very quick response from him.)
TB_ShaderMan and TB_ShaderTree do Not load
C4 Detonate.p does Not load ; C4 Destruct.lsc loads (Could it be .p doesn't work, but .lsc does work - probably because .p are 'Compiled.)
Maestro 2 is Working.
Amelie 1.4 does Not load.

gjjackson
10-22-2005, 10:32 PM
I'll be just editing my original post to reflect what I've found. Editing doesn't report as a new post, if those of you, as myself, check back only on new posts. It's getting to look like any compiled plugins Will NOT work.

Karmacop
10-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Yes, unless a plugin has been compiled for LW64 (I don't think any have so far) then they wont work. The only "plugins" that will work are native Lightwave ones and lscripts.

gjjackson
10-23-2005, 12:14 AM
I must be in a dead zone. It just occured to me earlier that the SDK is no doubt different from 32bit with different dependancy files and such.

Karmacop
10-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Don't worry, I think everyone will be confused. I know I'm still a bit lost, that's why I'm not getting a 64 bit machine yet ;)

I think the difference between win32 and win64 is essentially the same as the difference between win32 and mac. Of course it'll be easier to port between win32 and win64 because they are the same OS :)

RedBull
10-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Lscripts will work like Eki's plugpak, but no plugins will really work.
Worley's plugs are now compatible with the 64bit sentinal drivers
but are not 64bit threaded.....

You are much better off running the 32bit version, in Windows64.....
As it will be sometime before 64bit compiles of plugins are normal.
Years i would imagine!

DarkLight
10-24-2005, 05:26 AM
I will probably look at compiling plugins for 64 bit sometime soon but i think it will take a long time for a lot of plugins to get updated as the number of 64 bit users is a very small minority at the moment.

Lightwolf
10-24-2005, 05:35 AM
I must be in a dead zone. It just occured to me earlier that the SDK is no doubt different from 32bit with different dependancy files and such.
Nope, not really. There was a minor change in 8.3 to accomodate for 64bit plugins, but doing a re-compile should be fairly straightforward ... as far as the SDK is concerned.

Cheers,
Mike

Wireframex
10-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Fprime doesn't seem to load in 64 bit.

Same for me here Fprime 2.1 doesn't load at all. :question:

I have this message in Layout : "Plugins were not found or could not be added"
and "Cannot load external plug-in file <C:Program Files\Lightwave [8]\Plugins\fprime.p>."

I use the sentinel beta driver 7.1.0 from SafeNet Inc. without any pb
(Dual Xeon 3.4 Ghz EMT64 - 4 Go)

Phil

Edit : I don't want to use LW x32 with a 64 bits OS :help:

Ade
11-12-2006, 09:36 PM
same here... 64bit everything but no fprime loading?

Ztreem
11-13-2006, 03:51 AM
I would love to use LW64 more, it's so much faster at rendering. But all the plugins you don't want to live without makes it impossible.

zapper1998
11-13-2006, 04:10 AM
IFW2 works fine in 9.2 LW 32 & 64

What exactly does a person have to put in the code to make it 64 bit compatable ???

Michael

gjjackson
11-13-2006, 07:15 AM
From what I can remember reading Microsoft's site all that is needed is to just recompile with the 64bit version. If so, I can't see why so many plugins haven't been updated. I think it was DStorm that has many for 64bit, and it appears it was done rather quickly.

Sensei
11-13-2006, 07:27 AM
From what I can remember reading Microsoft's site all that is needed is to just recompile with the 64bit version. If so, I can't see why so many plugins haven't been updated. I think it was DStorm that has many for 64bit, and it appears it was done rather quickly.

Developers have to have 64 bit machine and 64 bit C/C++ compiler.. ;)

Lightwolf
11-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Developers have to have 64 bit machine and 64 bit C/C++ compiler.. ;)
Nope, you can compile on a 32bit box allright, but you can't test it :p

...and with a bit of hackery you can use MSs free 64bit compiler that is a part of their PSDK ;) (I used it for half a year quite successfully).

Cheers,
Mike

Sensei
11-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Nope, you can compile on a 32bit box allright, but you can't test it :p

I was simplifing things to not create nested if-elseif-else statement.. ;)

And I am using cross-compiling for Macintosh plug-ins without testing them, so know 'how it is'.. Finding "how to compile 1st Mac LW plug-in without actual even seeing one Mac in life nor running MacOS" took month of my and Jason Cacioppo life..

...and with a bit of hackery you can use MSs free 64bit compiler that is a part of their PSDK ;) (I used it for half a year quite successfully).

If you're refering to VC2005, my dual-core laptop started working a lot slower after installing it.. :/ So when by accident I had to reformat HDD, I didn't bother installing it again.. ;)

Lightwolf
11-13-2006, 08:07 AM
If you're refering to VC2005, my dual-core laptop started working a lot slower after installing it.. :/ So when by accident I had to reformat HDD, I didn't bother installing it again.. ;)
No, the Platform SDK, which is free and contains a command line compiler.

Weird, my box is just as fast as it was before installing VC2005 (both express and standard).

Cheers,
Mike