PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this method of UVing?

AdamAvenali
10-21-2005, 06:55 PM
alright i'm kinda new to UV mapping, and having a hard time catching on to the concept of unwrapping properly. what i was wondering is has anyone tried this method? http://www.menithings.com/main.php?action=how&how_id=7&manual=1 and have a more detailed list of instructions? of all the methods i've read this one seems to make the most sense as of right now, and i was just wondering if anyone could give me more tips on it. i get the basic concept, i just dont know how careful to be about moving points around, etc.

thanks,
adam

papou
10-21-2005, 07:11 PM
i like to uv this way because you can use all you modeler toy to unwrap it.
like smooth, etc.. Don't miss the thread about unwarp your mesh with Cloth Fx too.
cheers,

Dodgy
10-21-2005, 08:51 PM
You might want my UV tools too, on my web page..

AdamAvenali
10-22-2005, 10:39 AM
dodgy i was checking out your tools and was just wondering if you could give me a quick run down of the ones that will help me in UVing.

thanks,
adam

Dodgy
10-22-2005, 01:32 PM
UVQuantize: Snaps UV's to a user specified grid.
UV Relax: This takes the selected UVs and 'smooths' them out, hopefully untangling any overly distorted or overlapping UVs.
Split by seam: This splits your object along its seams, thus making it easier to edit discontinuous UVs.

AdamAvenali
10-22-2005, 07:59 PM
hey dodgy,

i have never experienced putting plugins in and stuff, but what does Line 29, invalid argument 1 type to VMap() mean?

it is very possible i'm doing something wrong or that it is not compatible with 7.5?

thanks,
adam

Dodgy
10-23-2005, 10:34 AM
It means that Lscript doesn't understand one of the arguments to a function. Which script is it and i'll have a look...

AdamAvenali
10-23-2005, 11:46 AM
it is when i try to use the MGUVrelax command. that error comes up

Dodgy
10-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Does it do it on the split by seam plugin?

Because it might be that the 7.5 Lscript doesn't support that particualr function... Though I think it should... Anything from Lscript 2.6 up should recognise it.

AdamAvenali
10-23-2005, 06:04 PM
yes it does the same thing on the split seam plug. so i guess i'll just have to wait a week till my 8 comes haha