PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old computer?

awrieger
10-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Assuming I went out and bought a new G5 Quad, is it worthwhile keeping my current G4 dual 1.25 as an extra bit of processing power for renders? I've never used anything but a single computer so I've yet to learn about rendering on multiple computers and that sort of stuff etc.

Or would it not be worth it? The G5 Quad is twice as fast as a dual G5, which is twice as fast as my G4, so would it be even worth bothering adding the slower machine?

Thanks in advance for any advice you share with me.

archiea
10-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Since the drive capacity of the G5 is limited to two drives, I was going to keep my G4 and load it up with drives for nearline storage. The G5 has not one but two gigabit ethernet cables.. so one can be for a SAN and the other for internet. The G4 has gigabit ethernet so you have the ability to use a gigabit hub to maintain the high transfer rate. If you have alot of photos or textures or animation or reference clips that youw ant to keep nearline, then you should consider your G4 as a storage option...

awrieger
10-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the idea, Archiea. Do you actually need a hub like you mentioned between just two computers, or can you connect them directly?

somnambulance
10-22-2005, 03:52 AM
you can connect direct from one to the other.

archiea
10-23-2005, 03:46 AM
you can connect direct from one to the other.

Yes!!! even truer with the new G5 since it has two gigabit ethernet ports. :thumbsup:

ingo
10-23-2005, 04:46 AM
Better than having one really fast computer is it to have two computers. My old G4 450 is still at work for all the paperwork, Internet and also for building my modells - the faster G5 is mostly for rendering and image editing. But last week the G4 was also needed for rendering, although its three times slower.

So depending on the business you are doing, two computers are mostly essential.

Nigel Baker
10-24-2005, 02:54 AM
Hello there awrieger,

If you can afford it, and not just in price but also space and plug sockets and the rest. Definitely keep it.
If you are working for yourself you will find it invaluable, especially at the most crucial of times to have a second machine at hand.

Petition for HD Instance for Mac
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=42189