PDA

View Full Version : Norton is messing with the wrong guy :(

davie563
10-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi, i just bought Norton Internet Security, and when it is enabled in the system tray i cant open lightwave 8, it just freezes, but when i de-activate it it loads perfect and with no probs :p

I think i might have selected or been in a bit of a rush when i opened it the 1st time after the instilation of norton and i feel i have put a block on it, how do i get into the setting and make modeller and layout free to open.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Adrian Lopez
10-21-2005, 03:34 PM
On my very old version of Norton Internet Security you access the list of blocked programs by double-clicking on the Norton Internet Security icon in the system tray, clicking on "Personal Firewall" and finally clicking on "Internet Access Control". Once there you will see a list of programs that Norton is aware of through which you can tell Norton whether to block each program or not.

jpaugh78
10-21-2005, 03:47 PM
i have norton internet security 2005. Open it up then: configure--Programs tab. then select the program you wish to change the settings for.

davie563
10-21-2005, 04:05 PM
its says that layout, modeller and the hub are fully permited and it also has general selected aswell next to it :bangwall:

Still dosent load,

when i started up my comp i was told by a we window that i cant have 2 firewalls on at once, the windows firewall and the norton 1, so i turned off the windows 1, but i was just thinkin, if i turned of the norton 1 and had the windows 1 on instead, will this still keep my PC safe, its just i know that the wondows firewall opens lightwave easily and dosent effect it :newtek:

jpaugh78
10-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Hmmm. The only thing i can think of is maybe remove them from the programs list in Norton Internet Security, then when you run lightwave the next time, it will pause for a bit when you try to run it, and Norton will prompt you if you want to allow the program....and just make sure to choose the one that says "always allow" or whatever the proper wording is.

habaņero
10-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't recommend Nortons Software. It is a common cause of system stability and in particular Norton AV can make a new machine into a 5 year old box.

The version of Norton that is running on CNET failed to pick up the nastiest and only virus that caused me real grief, the type where a ****er in the other end takes over your system completely etc and installs a flood of different crap. It took a month before the infected program went off their site, and I assume that is the time it took Norton to get to this bugger that Kaspersky fetched nice and easy. Because CNET refused to see anything that Norton/Mcafee didn't catch as a virus ... I was download number 301, checking in two weeks later it was at 651, with people desperately trying to warn other people and get help in the review section, interesting reading.

They also are known for very terrible customer support, I was looking into Norton Ghost at a time and reading the horror stories at the (unofficial) support forums of people that lost their data trying to back them up with certain versions of this program and the treatment they got from Norton, not nice stories.

People probably have different experiences, but I think it is fairly safe to say they don't give a flying **** about their customers, quite the opposite to Newtek I would say.

Silkrooster
10-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Norton Internet security will run fine with Newtek. Here's what you need to do.
1) If you find multiple listings of layout, modeler and hub remove all of them and let Norton find them again.
2) Give layout, modeler, hub and printer spool access to the net.
Now it should work fine. It took me awhile to figure out that the printer spool was necessary. When loading layout or modeler a pop up would say that permission was given to the printer spool. Once full access was granted the pop up stopped showing and lightwave worked. Note: something resets the printer spool, not sure yet. But I notice this problem not long after an upgrade of Lightwave.
One last thing, check the hub and make sure it does not list multiple entries for layout and modeler.
Silk

davie563
10-22-2005, 06:27 AM
One last thing, check the hub and make sure it does not list multiple entries for layout and modeler.

How do i check this ?

davie563
10-22-2005, 07:49 AM
I gave up and Deleted it from my hard-drive !

Im back with AVG virus scanner and im stickin with Windows Firewall :p

I really only changed to Norton becuase i got it free with my 19'' Dell LCD, but its gone now and lightwave runs perfect :p

Cheers for all the help :bowdown:

spec24
10-22-2005, 11:17 AM
I gave up and Deleted it from my hard-drive !

Im back with AVG virus scanner and im stickin with Windows Firewall :p

I really only changed to Norton becuase i got it free with my 19'' Dell LCD, but its gone now and lightwave runs perfect :p

Cheers for all the help :bowdown:

Good decision. Any time I've installed that type of software they destroy my computer. They installed it at work and of course, everything runs crappier.

mattclary
10-22-2005, 12:33 PM
I do computer work on the side. A friend of a friend put this lady in touch with me who couldn't connect to the internet unless she booted in safe mode. Long story short, it was caused by the Norton firewall. Removed all of Norton, installed AVG and ensured the Windows firewall was running.

newsvixen8
10-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Same story here... no matter how many times I told Norton to allow all LW components, it would crash 'em. Switched to the Zone Alarm Security Suite as recommended by PC Magazine (because its firewall closes off ALL ports) and now LW runs happily and safely.

gjjackson
10-22-2005, 03:08 PM

How do i check this ?

If you r_click the hub and check Launch it will show the entries. You can edit the hub config file and delete one you don't need. If I remember, with 8.3 it started putting extra entries there. It could be helpful if you have different versions but I've never set it up as such.

habaņero
10-22-2005, 06:22 PM
I use and recommend Sygate personal Firewall, never had a problem with LW or any other program. And it catches all hijacked processes/connections, changed programs etc, did make a difference and when I installed it on my aunts machine it actually came up with the home adress of a guy that was scanning her ports! Free for personal use, no nags.

jpaugh78
10-22-2005, 06:57 PM
I don't know what all problems you guys have with norton, it seems to work fine for me. If you try to run any program that tries to access the net, it comes up with a pop-up asking if you wish to allow that program access. If you make a program that accesses the net in visual basic, and let it access the net...even after telling norton its okay, if you make any changes to the .exe, it will prompt you again when you run it the next time. In my opinion it stops pretty much everything in its tracks. But hey, maybe i've just been lucky. I have norton Internet security, norton personal firewall and norton anti-virus all running, and lightwave, with no problems.

ACLOBO
10-22-2005, 09:49 PM
I gave up on Norton products a few years back when I was having some probs with my computer. I did a scan and Norton said I had so and so virus, but that it couldn't do anything about it. After a while I got fed up trying to deal with its warnings and impotent attempts to protect my system. I rebuilt my main system and bought McAffee that night (like at 1am). I installed it on the freshly rebuilt system and then connected my other computer and ran a remote scan from the rebuilt system to my other. McAfee detected stuff that Norton did not and removed it on the remote system. I have been a McAfee fan since and have not looked back. Speaking of which, I need to renew my subscription!

-Adrian