PDA

View Full Version : Right tool for the project?

rkramer
10-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Catalogue this as a newbie Q: we want to build a fly-through a animation of an industrial environment, in this case a proton accelerator-- Can I use 2D CAD drawings imported to LW to accomplish this? (as well as building original structures?) What's the tool of choice for such a visualization?

This would be an self-running, kiosk-type animation deliverd via DVD and also adapted to the Web. It looks to me like LW can do this but I wanted feedback as well. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

robb K.
New Mexico

Elmar Moelzer
10-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey!
Most 2d- CAD- dravings wont import into LW (e.g. dwg- files). You can output them as DXF files though an try that. LW will import 2d- DXF- files as 2 point- polylines then.
This means that you can use them as a reference at best and use them to rebuild everything from scratch in LWs modeler.
Good Luck!
CU
Elmar

noiseboy
10-21-2005, 03:43 PM
you might want to look at this application, it looks as though it might do the job for you, although I haven't tried it myself.
http://www.demicron.com/wirefusion/

Colin

Wade
10-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Lightwave is the right tool to use. I use it every day for Architecture... You will need someone who knows the program or who has the time to learn it as they go however. A person who knows the project and Software like Lightwave will be a huge plus.

Sounds like an interesting project.

Best to you,

Wade Woerhmann :lwicon:

AbnRanger
10-22-2005, 12:44 AM
Catalogue this as a newbie Q: we want to build a fly-through a animation of an industrial environment, in this case a proton accelerator-- Can I use 2D CAD drawings imported to LW to accomplish this? (as well as building original structures?) What's the tool of choice for such a visualization?

This would be an self-running, kiosk-type animation deliverd via DVD and also adapted to the Web. It looks to me like LW can do this but I wanted feedback as well. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

robb K.
New Mexico
What CAD software are you using? AutoCAD is owned, of course, by Autodesk....which owns 3ds Max. Naturally, that would be the best package to use, with integration being the priority. But if cost of the 3D software was a major sticking point, Lightwave would be your cup of tea.

liquidpope
10-22-2005, 11:55 AM
I use Acad every day at work building 3D models, and I very often convert them to LW models for animating and rendering. Works amazingly well for 3D models. I export them to 3ds max files in Acad, then simply open them in LW and save. Couldn't be easier.
However, since you are using 2D drawings, you'll have to eventually create 3D models, and either Acad or LightWave can handle anything you can think of. (Except Acad WILL NOT model a helix. (Go ahead and try, but buy yourself a nice wig first.))
Model in the program you know best if you're in a big hurry, but if you have the time, you'll definitely want to learn to model in LW. It's FAR more powerful than Acad for modeling, but each have their "niggly bits". The big disadvantage of LW modeling is no snap tools, but that's the biggest. Aside from that, LW kicks major butt at modeling. Everything else is mostly preference related, or what you're used to and comfortable with.
So, to finally answer your question, yes. Lightwave is most definitely the tool you want to use. Price, power and integration - all good!!!
If you need any additional help once you get started, feel free to contact me. I'm in the central time zone, and I'm usually up 'til 3 or 4 at night. (or morning, whatever...)

James ([email protected])

AbnRanger
10-23-2005, 06:51 PM
I didn't mean to dis' LW in any regard...I was just pointing out that 3ds Max is aimed squarely at the architectural pre-viz market every bit as much as the gaming....simply because of their Big Daddy, Autodesk. You have a quite a few "goodies" in Max, there specifically to benefit architects....like architectural parametric objects (such as winding stair cases, windows,etc), pre-built plants and trees (no real high quality though), architectural shaders or materials, a host of 3d snaps,etc.
I am a recent customer of LW (due to their LW/Vue 5 promotion), so I'm still trying to get comfortable with it...but it's good to hear that it also works well with CAD models.

rkramer
10-24-2005, 10:55 AM
I need to go talk to our CAD artists and see what they have. There's lots of 3D models around.... a few wigs. Sounds like this will work for me aside from learning how to use it. Thanks for the support offer!

rkramer
10-24-2005, 08:15 PM
I use Acad every day at work building 3D models, and I very often convert them to LW models for animating and rendering. Works amazingly well for 3D models. I export them to 3ds max files in Acad, then simply open them in LW and save. Couldn't be easier.
However, since you are using 2D drawings, you'll have to eventually create 3D models, and either Acad or LightWave can handle anything you can think of. (Except Acad WILL NOT model a helix. (Go ahead and try, but buy yourself a nice wig first.))
Model in the program you know best if you're in a big hurry, but if you have the time, you'll definitely want to learn to model in LW. It's FAR more powerful than Acad for modeling, but each have their "niggly bits". The big disadvantage of LW modeling is no snap tools, but that's the biggest. Aside from that, LW kicks major butt at modeling. Everything else is mostly preference related, or what you're used to and comfortable with.
So, to finally answer your question, yes. Lightwave is most definitely the tool you want to use. Price, power and integration - all good!!!
If you need any additional help once you get started, feel free to contact me. I'm in the central time zone, and I'm usually up 'til 3 or 4 at night. (or morning, whatever...)

James ([email protected])

hey, can LW renderings be exported to files for Web viewing? --better question: what are the output formats for the final renderings. My only wish is for a demo download of the product but ya can't have everything...

liquidpope
10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Here's a screen grab of the formats you can save out of LW.
And also a frame from one of my Acad to LW animations.