PDA

View Full Version : shell32.dll problem LW 8.5

Codevyper
10-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Just got LW 8.3 last week and upgraded it to 8.5. No other software has been installed/uninstalled or updated on this computer since then. After upgrading to 8.5 Modeler closes down with a shell32.dll error when I try to load surfaces into an object and sometimes when doing a save as on an object after using object collapser or manually cutting and pasting background layers down to a single layer. It may shut down in other instances as well but these are the two operations where I noticed the anomaly. Layout closes down if I try to load more than one object into a scene or do a save as of a scene file.

In all cases the programs close down when the file browser window is open. The problem goes away in both apps when I use the VB file browser window instead of the one provided by shell32.dll. I can work with the vb file browser but I just prefer the native one. Is there an easy solution to this problem? Has anybody else ran into this?

For the record here are the particulars:

Dell Latitude D810 laptop running Windows XP Pro SP2, 1gb Ram, 80g HD, Intel Pentium M 2ghz CPU, shell32.dll version 6.0.2900.2763. No other apps running at time of problem except for Layout, Modeler and Hub. Problem persists even if one or the other (Modeler or Layout are closed). Norton AV and Microsoft AntiSpyware running as services in background.

Thanks
Jim

Elmar Moelzer
10-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Hey Jim!
This is an odd problem.
It may be hardware related or be caused by a bad driver or something.
Just shooting into the blue, I would say:
Check your harddrive and Ram for problems.
You can find several great tools for that on Guru3d.com (e.g. HDtune for harddrives).
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=8
Hope that helps
CU
Elmar

Hoopti
10-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Shell32.dll is the part of windows that runs the file system and web services api. It's not a lightwave problem but a problem with windows itself. Have you tried to do a windows repair?

If you just want to try to replace the shell32.dll, there's a site that may be able to help.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shell32

As I write this, I'm assuming you've done the anti-virus/anti-spyware stuff. Hope this helps.

Hoop

Codevyper
10-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Shell32.dll is the part of windows that runs the file system and web services api. It's not a lightwave problem but a problem with windows itself. Have you tried to do a windows repair?

If you just want to try to replace the shell32.dll, there's a site that may be able to help.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shell32

As I write this, I'm assuming you've done the anti-virus/anti-spyware stuff. Hope this helps.

Hoop

Thanks, this is a new laptop (3 mos old) and I work in an IT dept so I try to keep it clean and uncluttered. I've run spyware and virus scans and did a hard drive cleanup and registry cleanup to remove and old entries. The shell32.dll file you put a link up to is an older one for Windows NT Swedish version. I'm running XP English so it will do more harm than good to replace my existing shell32.dll with that one but thanks for the input anyway.

Jim

Codevyper
10-21-2005, 03:28 PM
As I mentioned to Hoopti, this is a new laptop (3 mos old). I did download hdparam and ram test and ran them both came back fine. I know shell32.dll is a windows file but I find it interesting that I didn't have this problem until I upgraded to 8.5. 8.3 worked fine. As time permits I'll keep poking around and if I find a solution I will post it here. Thanks both of you for your input.

habaņero
10-22-2005, 06:39 PM
http://www.computing.net/windowsnt/wwwboard/forum/22584.html

Mentions different ways to get a new one.

Was windows automatic updates on?

Scandisk?

You have norton anything?

Long shot but Check if your machine runs drwatson32 as a process, it can lead to instability.

You got a system restore setting from before the install? It'd be interesting to see if the problem would reproduce.

Possible display driver issue?

Same in safe mode?

Hoopti
10-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks, this is a new laptop (3 mos old) and I work in an IT dept so I try to keep it clean and uncluttered. I've run spyware and virus scans and did a hard drive cleanup and registry cleanup to remove and old entries. The shell32.dll file you put a link up to is an older one for Windows NT Swedish version. I'm running XP English so it will do more harm than good to replace my existing shell32.dll with that one but thanks for the input anyway.

Jim

If you've got a desktop running the same version of Windows, compare the two dates and see if they're the same and the size is the same. I was only posting that link since its an example of many sites that offer DLLs for download as well. I run XP2 and keep it current as well. I'd be happy to ship you mine if you have no access to a second PC.

And 3 months old doesn't really mean much. Windows does funky things on it's own, and doesn't really care about the age of the computer. Also those suggestions in the post right before mine are great as well. Let me know if i can help.

Hoop

Codevyper
10-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks to everyone for your help. I checked the size and date of my shell32.dll against a couple of different machines here at work and also my desktop at home. It matched the others so it wasn't a difference in file size. In the end I set both apps to use the VB file dialog ran both apps for a day like that then switched back to the default file browser window and both apps have been working fine since.

Looking back in hindsight the only thing I could think of that initially caused the problem was that I updated to LW 8.5 from 8.3 and was working with the Modeler without the dongle installed. I would think it would have complained about the lack of a dongle when I saved the file, but it didn't. The first time it complained was when I opened Layout. That's when I realized I hadn't inserted the dongle and that's when the troubles began.

In any case switching to the vb file browser (with dongle installed) and opening and closing a few files in that then switching back has fixed the problem. Go figure.

Thanks again.
Jim