PDA

View Full Version : Need archiving/MPEG-2 overview

JumboCast
10-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi, all...

Sorry if this turns out to be a basic question, but if one or more of you could enlighten me, I bet I wouldn't be the last person helped by the thread.

Since we got our TriCaster in September, we've produced over 200GB of archived files. Permanently saving these files, uncompressed, doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. I do, however, want to be able to save them in a relatively-high-quality format that I can a) go back and pull into TriCaster for season highlight clips or promotional videos and b) ideally, fit an event on a DVD-DL (about 8.5GB) for permanent storage. It seems like MPEG-2 would be the best format for this.

So, setting out on my own, I bought and downloaded TMPGEnc Express, hooked it up, encoded a 33GB file down to about 8GB -- looks pretty good in Windows Media Player. All great. However, I can't subsequently pull it back into the TriCaster into the live VCR or into Edit Media. (I can, however, pull it into Premiere Pro just fine.) So, my questions are:

1. Am I going about this archiving/compression the right way, or completely wrong? If the latter, what should I do instead?
2. Am I doing anything specifcally wrong that would prevent me from being able to use the resulting .mpg file in TriCaster? (I am using the beta patch.)

Thanks in advance for the pointers...

Steve Clay
JumboCast

Jim_C
10-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Hey Steve,

If the Tri is anything like VT4 , no it won't play mpeg2. (well vt4 will with some hoop jumping but not always reliably)

My suggestion... do you have $$ in the budget for external firewire drives? You can get a 300 gigger for a couple hundred, and 500gig disks for around 300. Then you can just save everything in its native format. And just edit straight off the drive if need be.

For tmpgenc to encode 300 gigs then to burn all that to DVD's you are looking at a lot of man hours(well computer encode hours really). Probably more than 300 bucks worth.

Just a thought....

Jim

Jim_C
10-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Thinking further.. You must have access to the footage from another PC since you are using TMPGENC?

Tigerdirect has 300gig internals on sale for 90 bucks. You can pop open the case slid one into an extra slot, archive unplug. Or buy an empty external enclosure for 30-50 bucks and roll your own external 300 gig firewire for about 150 bucks...

Just more thoughts.....

Jim

Ahmed
10-21-2005, 11:32 AM
I totally agrry with Jim, the best way is to just straight-copy to an external drive that is 300GB in size or more. It is not worth spending time converting to MPEG-II if your are going to edit it again.

Ahmed

Zane Condren
10-21-2005, 11:37 AM
The Newtek 25 Codec works great for archiving!

JumboCast
10-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Massive hard drive purchases, here I come!

-steve

Jim_C
10-21-2005, 11:58 AM
If you're not building your own, I recommend Maxtor Externals. We have about 30 of them and travel all over the country with them. In backpacks, airplanes, semi trucks, luggage, carry ons, etc and haven't had a failure yet.

If you need bigger than 300 gigs, we use Lacie Big Disk Extremes/500 giggers.
These are also FW800, so if you have a FW800 card in a 64 bit slot you can get REALLY fast throughput with them. But they work fine as FW400 also.

Whatever you get, try and get the same type all the way through. This way you can just keep power supplies plugged in at your locations, and plug/unplug drives and go. Don't have to worry about numerous ac adapters and wall warts to carry around and get confused.

Jim