PDA

View Full Version : Oh, look at that! :) Shift F9 in 8.5!

HowardM
10-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Well, that is just HOT!
Motion Blur, now in Opengl Shift-f9 previews!
THANK YOU NEWTEK!

Now, can we PLEASE have the ability to render an animated preview in this mode? Im willing to wait the few extra seconds for lw to calculate a shift f9 for every frame...how about you? ;)

Castius
10-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Silly Howard that been there i think since version 7 maybe even 6. And people have bene asking for preview support since then as well.

Lightwolf
10-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Well, that is just HOT!

Lol, you missed a complete release, that feature was introduced with 7.5 ... :D

Cheers,
Mike
P.S. Yes, a preview with openGL dod and motion blur on would be quite neat, especially a whole release after it was first introduced...

HowardM
10-20-2005, 03:49 PM
doh?! I swear i thought it was just DOF until now!?

:embarassed: so ..eh uh can someone delete this thread?!
QUICK?
;)

Chris S. (Fez)
10-20-2005, 06:08 PM
I've been on board since 5.6, and I didn't know either. So thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

connerh
10-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Heh, never noticed that either... well awesome. Thanks for the tip... and I also wouldn't mind waiting a little longer waiting for it to calc them into the preview.

riki
10-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Silly Howard ;p Actually I didn't know about either. Many thanks for the tip.

T-Light
10-20-2005, 11:45 PM
Blow Me.

Didn't know about the keydocs (from another thread) and definetly didn't know about this. :D

Any more?

Edit - How did I know about the Depth of field preview and not know it was also a Motion Blur Preview - Especially when it's named MB Preview?

Got to stop the late nights.

cresshead
10-21-2005, 11:31 AM
both of these features were demo'd on the luxology website before they built their new 3d app.

hrgiger
10-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Cool. I never knew that either. Where can we find some docs on these kinds of features as far as shortcuts go?

Here it is in action:

lardbros
10-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Blimey... all these people whose work i greatly admire and i could have actually taught them something!!!! :D

Maybe there should be a sticky thread around here somewhere that lists all the basic functions of LW that are just overlooked completely. I overlooked the right click changes falloff (with most modify tools) thing for a long time. Hugely useful when trying to figure out the point falloff. Right-click and drag and you create a circle as big as you wish. Now why do things like these hide away for so long? (because RTFM is a great idea, but i mostly skim through bits that don't "appear" to have any tricks in.... doh)

Lightwolf
10-21-2005, 12:59 PM
(because RTFM is a great idea, but i mostly skim through bits that don't "appear" to have any tricks in.... doh)
Now you know why I like the printed manual have actually RTFMed every manual since I first go LW ... shows what a dork I am ;)
Cheers,
Mike

lardbros
10-21-2005, 01:05 PM
shows what a dork I am ;)

Yes, but a dork who knows the little tricky bits of LW. :D

I'm a dork too, but a dork who doesn't know the little tricky bits of LW! DOH.. again.

toby
10-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Well, that is just HOT!
THANK YOU NEWTEK!

Now, can we PLEASE have the ability to render an animated preview in this mode? Im willing to wait the few extra seconds for lw to calculate a shift f9 for every frame...how about you? ;)

That's what Quickshade mode is for! :hey:

toby
10-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Blimey... all these people whose work i greatly admire and i could have actually taught them something!!!! :D

Maybe there should be a sticky thread around here somewhere that lists all the basic functions of LW that are just overlooked completely. I overlooked the right click changes falloff (with most modify tools) thing for a long time. Hugely useful when trying to figure out the point falloff. Right-click and drag and you create a circle as big as you wish. Now why do things like these hide away for so long? (because RTFM is a great idea, but i mostly skim through bits that don't "appear" to have any tricks in.... doh)

I think half of this is because people only refer to the manual when they get stuck, and put it down when once they find an answer. I'd never heard of clip mapping and scads of other things until I read the manual, imagine how much these people miss.

The other half is undocumented....

papou
10-21-2005, 05:25 PM
;D i tought it was some incredible dynamics or pfx something!
where were you guys?

Cageman
10-22-2005, 12:44 AM
I'm running LW8.3 but I can't see any mblur in OGL. Shift+F9 does not do the trick over here. :(

lardbros
10-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Make sure you have motion blur turned on in the camera options... and also have plenty of antialiasing passes too.

Then animate your object... press shift F9 while on one of the frames when it's moving, and BINGO... it will reconstruct it with openGL. Coolio stuff

hrgiger
10-22-2005, 07:05 AM
I don't see that it's that useful anyway. You can't scrub through the frames and see it in action, you have to shift+F9 at each frame. It's cool but I can't see using it very often. Can someone tell me why I would? I guess I just think motion blur is hard to guage on one frame, you can't really see if it's giving you the effect you want until you see the actual animation.

lardbros
10-22-2005, 07:12 AM
True, there's no way to see it in motion... but it gives you a quick idea of how many passes you'll need to cover up the segmenting of the blur. If you can easily see the segments, then up the passes or turn dithering on. Other than that, it's just a handy little gimmick.

Lewis
10-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Hmm - hrgiger maybe then you would need button called "render preview with MBlur/DoF" ?? Since this way how it is now you can see it only per frame and not complete preview AFAIK ?

HowardM
10-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Right guys, what I said in the 1st post ;)

Cageman
10-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Make sure you have motion blur turned on in the camera options... and also have plenty of antialiasing passes too.

Then animate your object... press shift F9 while on one of the frames when it's moving, and BINGO... it will reconstruct it with openGL. Coolio stuff

Yeah, thatīs exactly what Iīve set up, still no luck though. Tried all classic antialiasing methods. I also use the classic reconstruction filter. Maybe the object moves to fast? :) This calculation is done by the CPU, right? So, the fact that I have a GeForce4 4200Ti shouldn't make any difference?

EDIT: Doh! I got it working now... my mistake.. hehe... cool stuff!

lardbros
10-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Only other options would be make sure it's in camera view (not 100% sure whether it has to be or not... i'll check later) just checked and it works in any viewport, hmmm

AND... maybe the shortcut for motion blur with shift F9 isnt set up to that key? Not sure whether its even possible to change it though.

Oops, i see you got it working now...

CAClark
10-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Well it was on the publicised list of additions at the time, not too mention the read me n wotnot. Ah well..... shouldn't mock those with painted on eyes (or should that be mapped on eyes?) :P

Cheers!

Mha8649
01-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Im new to lightwave and digital 3d in general and after looking at all the different key configs for layout and modeler I don't know if I will ever remember them all ..

geothefaust
01-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Im new to lightwave and digital 3d in general and after looking at all the different key configs for layout and modeler I don't know if I will ever remember them all ..

Give it some time and they will sink in. :)

JCG
01-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Im new to lightwave and digital 3d in general and after looking at all the different key configs for layout and modeler I don't know if I will ever remember them all .. I moved all the keys that I use frequently to the Function keys row since those have plenty of space for scribbling the name of the command on top... and then I changed to a black keyboard and got completely lost ^^;;;