PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 64-bit Download Re-Posted

Chuck
10-20-2005, 09:22 AM
The LightWave 64-bit version revised installer has been posted.

Please note that you may encounter the following issues:

1) You may receive a message saying your 64-bit OS was not automatically detected. You will then receive a message asking you to confirm you have the 64-bit OS so the installer can continue. If you do have Windows XP Pro x64, please select the option to continue with the installation.

2) After installation, your content directory may be labeled "-64\Content" . If this happens, you will need to change your content directory settings in LightWave, or rename the content folder on your hard drive.

If you are registered with NewTek US, login to User Registration: http://www.newtek.com/support/reg/index.html

For the NewTek Europe folks:

French: http://www.newtek-europe.com/fr/support/download.html

English: http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/download.html

Note for those who have ordered the v8.5 Convenience Upgrade CD: The 64-bit installer on our first version of the v8.5 Programs CD has the same issues as the downloadable Installer, and when used on a Windows system will not detect a 64-bit OS, and will install the 32-bit LightWave. Our apologies for not managing to get shipping stopped before some of these went out. The CD will also be revised and the new edition will be sent to those who have ordered.

Again, our apologies for any inconveniences this has caused for our LightWave users anxious to get started with the 64-bit edition.

gjjackson
10-20-2005, 11:04 AM
:thumbsup: :beerchug: Thanks, Chuck. I certainly didn't expect it this quick. I figured we'd have it Next week.

hunter
10-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Yeeeeeee Haw! That's appropriate for folks in Texas right? :hey:

Awesome. Look. Proof it's installed.
Not a tremendous scene but the render time has improved by almost 40 seconds. :D

gjjackson
10-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Looks great. I suspect Newtek is working under Murphy's Law. I can imagine the frustration THEY must be having along with some of our frustrations. This Murphy's Law MUST BE REPEALED. Call your Congressman. Ah, forget it. They want do anything We Want.

ACLOBO
10-20-2005, 12:55 PM
I am in the process of downloading this as we speak. I don't have a 64bit system yet. I have been waiting for my favorite 3d app to be released as 64 bit and so that will change soon! :thumbsup:

My question concerns the new license key file. It states on the site that a new license key will be required. As I still have the old parallel port dongle on my system, I would need to replace it for the release of LW9 (as I understand the parallel ones will no longer be supported). Will this new license key file and dongle swap prohibit me from using lightwave on my old 32 bit systems? Suppose I wanted to do some work on my 32 bit laptop while I am out and about and then switch over to my shiny new 64 bit system when I am home working? Am I out of luck? If so, not a big deal - it just affects my timeline for building said 64-bit system.

-Adrian

nthused
10-20-2005, 01:17 PM
My question concerns the new license key file. It states on the site that a new license key will be required. As I still have the old parallel port dongle on my system, I would need to replace it for the release of LW9 (as I understand the parallel ones will no longer be supported). Will this new license key file and dongle swap prohibit me from using lightwave on my old 32 bit systems? Suppose I wanted to do some work on my 32 bit laptop while I am out and about and then switch over to my shiny new 64 bit system when I am home working? Am I out of luck? If so, not a big deal - it just affects my timeline for building said 64-bit system.

-Adrian

I could be wrong here...but I'm working on a Win64 system now...the dongle drivers at the time I received mine were for USB only - 64 bit drivers were not released for the parallel dongle. I'd highly recommend getting your dongle exchanged ASAP.

Chuck
10-20-2005, 01:32 PM
I am in the process of downloading this as we speak. I don't have a 64bit system yet. I have been waiting for my favorite 3d app to be released as 64 bit and so that will change soon! :thumbsup:

-Adrian

The beta drivers that Safenet currently has available (we ship a driver that they have provided to us with our 64-bit edition, and they have a slightly newer one that can be downloaded from their site) support only USB, and previously they had stated that the release version 64-bit drivers wold be USB-only; however, in their most recent communications they have indicated that the release version drivers will support both USB and the parallel dongles.

So far as the LightWave team has discussed the issue so far, I don't anticipate that we would restrict LightWave to the USB dongles at v9 if the SafeNet drivers continue to support parallel. Please understand both the SafeNet information and the LightWave 9 information may be subject to change without notice.

lots
10-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Excellent! :) Looks like I took my day off at just the right time ;) I guess all day tomorrow I'll be having some fun.

arnjav
10-20-2005, 02:12 PM
I tried to install it today but I received a note:

"Make sure that you have the Sentinel Protection Drivers installed and Lighwave dongle attached before proceeding."

I removed the dongle prior to installation thinking that its like the original installation where the installer will install the dongle driver first and then attach the dongle and then the Lightwave program.
It was mentioned that dongle intallation is included but look like its not.
Please advise how you installed yours.
Thanks

cagey5
10-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Is it just my computer? I can get to Safenets homepage but no other link on the page works. I have tried for days to get to the download page in the hoipe of learning more about whether the latest drivers will work on parallel dongles, but the page never opens. I can't even report back to them because the 'contact us' page won't open either.. Weird!

lots
10-20-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm expereincing the opposite as hunter on my little test. Its just a simple scene with a gradeint back drop, with an area light and radiosity and my current WIP as the subject. I've tried with 1 4 and 8 threads, and 32bit LW85 beats 64bit every time. Here's an example of the 8 threads (I run dual Opteron 246s)

LW64: 131.2 seconds (2m 11s)
LW32: 117.8 seconds (1m 57s)

Differences were similar in the other different threading levels, but I thought it was a significant slow down. I havnt tried any benchmark scenes, or any other types of renders, I'm sure there will be places where the 64bit version of LW will edge out over the 32bit one (most likely in very high density scenes.... lots of textures and large objects).. I guess I should up the quality of my work and grab another 4 gigs of memory for my system ;)

Here's a pic of my WIP just so you get an idea of how non complicated it is, and that I could probably do away with the radiosity and stuff.. :)

hunter
10-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Yes. upon further testing I've noticed it's slower as well. I wonder what it is about the scene I was using or is it in my excitment I got it backward. :o :Goes off to experiment:

Celshader
10-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Is it just my computer? I can get to Safenets homepage but no other link on the page works. I have tried for days to get to the download page in the hoipe of learning more about whether the latest drivers will work on parallel dongles, but the page never opens. I can't even report back to them because the 'contact us' page won't open either.. Weird!

If it helps...here's a direct link to their drivers page:
http://safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

I don't know if the Itanium driver's the right one, though. I don't have Win64 or LW64.

habaņero
10-20-2005, 05:38 PM
I ended up using this link (http://www.pericosecurity.com/index.php?id=227609).

Itanium driver, I don't think that works for amd64. The Xp driver didn't work, though it needs to be installed to use the file in the link.

Installation Instructions in readme.

yeah and LW64 works the charms, gonna check speed now.

Noticed Nvidia have beta drivers out for both 64 and 32bit windows, might interest some people experimenting with OGL, gonna check this more now. :caffeine:

habaņero
10-20-2005, 07:35 PM
radiosity things

64:

32:

dof

raytrace

I suspect though my Xp32 install have become a little fuzzy, I did raytrace faster than 99 on the same clock so don't take the numbers for avesome fish.

lots
10-21-2005, 11:03 AM
I should note that that I did my tests on Windows XP X64, for both LW32 and LW64.

Also @Celshader:

Windows XP X64 uses the x86-64 architecture. This technology is only found on AMD64 and EMT64 (Athlon64/Opteron and recent Pentium 4s and Xeons) The Itanium uses the IA64 architecture, which is not capable of 32bit operation or x86 instructions. It is a totally different design, and not compatable with x86-64. Think of it as you would think of the PowerPC for Mac. You cant run x86 binaries on the PPC architecture for similar reasons. So, the Itanium drivers wont ever work for us Windows XP X64 users.

Hopefully by the time LW9 comes around, we'll have final drivers from safenet :)

gjjackson
10-21-2005, 12:35 PM
If it helps...here's a direct link to their drivers page:
http://safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

I don't know if the Itanium driver's the right one, though. I don't have Win64 or LW64.

You can check here.
http://3drecursions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149

You install the sentinel 7.1 driver and then theres the inf and sys files for the 64bit. That should be all you need for LW64.

accom
12-19-2005, 12:29 AM
How about 64bit release for PPC?