PDA

View Full Version : Native LW Ocean - no plugins :)

HowardM
10-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Here are some shots I created in London working on the New Captain Scarlet animated series. They look even better at HD res!
Enjoy! :)
7 meg WMV - www.3dink.com/proteus.wmv

http://www.3dink.com/proteus.jpg

3dworks
10-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Here are some shots I created in London working on the New Captain Scarlet animated series. They look even better at HD res!
Enjoy! :)

awesome!!! please can you share a few of your 'secrets' (what kind of shaders/ maps did you use, etc.) to achieve such a real looking water? ...and how about the ships body interacting with the water surface? did u use any particles for that?

cheers,

markus

Dirk
10-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Wow. Great stuff.

HowardM
10-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Cheers guys!

Ok, I told a white lie, I did use some PFX for the spray foam... :)
The ship interacting with the water was made using displacement maps attached to nulls that followed the water to make the splash and wake.
The shading was a combination of gradients, incidence angle, and reflections really make it shine!

I was inspired by the SimplyLightwave tutorial, so thats a good place to start...

pixym
10-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Simply Fantastic, BRAVO
:thumbsup:

Hoopti
10-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I was inspired by the SimplyLightwave tutorial, so thats a good place to start...

And if memory serves me correctly, it's free too.

Hoop

moremetall
10-21-2005, 02:38 AM
Any link to the tutorial? (cant find it at SimplyLightwave)

Kind regards
Micael
Lightwave 8.5 /Cubase SL 2.1
AMD daulcore +3800/ G 7800 GT /1 GB RAM

HowardM
10-21-2005, 02:40 AM
simple google search reveals - http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=3
:)

moremetall
10-21-2005, 05:09 AM
Thanks !
and by the way, the animation looks greate (did forget to mention that before)

meanlebh
10-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Fantastic work, looks really nice.

-Brian

Murphy
10-22-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm just wondering if you can tell me a little more about the PFX you've used for the spray and foam.
i'm actualy working on a documentry with some other local film makers about a sailngl ship, but i'm having some real trouble with the ocean foam.
This is a render with the foam painted on in photoshop to show what it should look like:
http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~bunyanfilms/Artwork/walterhood.jpg
Basicly my 2 main problems are:
1). no matter what settings i put on the hypervoxals, it looks crap
2). with the ocean moving arond and stuff, it takes about 5 hours just to calculate the movment of the particles. did you find a way around this?

thanks
murphy ( ^.^)/~~~

js33
10-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Sweet! Nice job Howard.

Cheers,
JS

StonyZhang
10-24-2005, 02:28 AM
Nice Work.Cheers!
Maybe I'll :compbeati

HowardM
10-24-2005, 02:41 AM
I'm just wondering if you can tell me a little more about the PFX you've used for the spray and foam.
i'm actualy working on a documentry with some other local film makers about a sailngl ship, but i'm having some real trouble with the ocean foam.
This is a render with the foam painted on in photoshop to show what it should look like:
http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~bunyanfilms/Artwork/walterhood.jpg
Basicly my 2 main problems are:
1). no matter what settings i put on the hypervoxals, it looks crap
2). with the ocean moving arond and stuff, it takes about 5 hours just to calculate the movment of the particles. did you find a way around this?

thanks
murphy ( ^.^)/~~~
Cheers Guys! :)

Cool shot Murphy, has a nice style...
Not sure how youre doing the emitters, but it shouldnt take 5 hours to calculate... are you making the sea a collision, because you really shouldnt as the spray can just fall through the sea polys, they dont need to collide.
The emitters are just basic emitters parented to the ship and enveloped to spray at certain times....are you trying to realisitically calculate with events or collisions when the boats hull hits the sea polys? yeah thats cool and all but for real production it takes too long for realism, when you can acheive near realism by hand keying the emitters birth whenever the waves hit....
Again, not sure what your settings for the HV are, but basic white foamy looking HVs that grow in size and fade away are what I used.

Murphy
10-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeah, the look we are going for is an old naval painting.

Anyways, I think the reson for my problems is that its a stormy ocean and its at night, so the waves need to emit foam when they cap as well as from the ships hull... and it seems that hypervoxals don't work so good in low light scenes.

I have a few test renders that i did with the ocean foam if you want me to upload one. The motion of the foam looks really sweet, just not really practical as far as time is concerned.

Thanks anyway. can't wait to see more of your work.
Murphy ( ^.^)/~~~

stefan
10-26-2005, 05:18 PM
wow great HowardM

darkTemplar
10-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Indeed very nice ocean. Those water waves are simply amazing. But I found some mistakes there. When that crashed boat stopped there were lots of splashes. I know there should be some, but not that many splashes :D.

But overall great job! :thumbsup:

Demon
10-28-2005, 02:58 AM
hey howard,

thats, as always, great work from ya :rock: If i am not misstaken, didnt u have made a short tutorial of an avalange? i was wondering where to find that. Could u give me a link? many thx in advance

cheers,

Demon

wacom
10-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Great work Howard! Looks like all your FX tinker'n has landed you some cool jobs too. I can't wait to see what you'll cook up in LW 9 with the node based shader tree and sub pixel displacement! :beerchug: