PDA

View Full Version : render edges and reflexion

Nico75
10-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Hello,

I have a problem, I want to render an object with wireframe/edges with reflexion on the ground.
LW can't render the edges in the ground.
Any solutions ?

Thanks.

MonroePoteet
10-20-2005, 05:59 PM
From my experiments, it looks like you'll have to model the edges as actual geometry to get them to reflect. Edges must be a image-processing addition to the image, added after all raytracing has occured.

The easiest way I've found to model the edges of an object is with Bevel. The steps are:

1) Get into Polygon select mode
2) Press double-quote to select all polys
3) Press "b" for bevel
4) Press "n" for numeric, enter 0 for shift and a very small number for inset (Like .001 or .005). The appropriate value for inset will depend on how wide you want the edges
5) After applying bevel, immediately press "Delete" to remove the selected polygons. Ony the results of the Bevel will remain
6) Set the surface to something other than your object's, like "EdgeColor".
7) Save as a separate object, bring into Layout, and parent to the original object.

BTW, this beveling technique, selecting all polys first and deleting them afterwards, can be used to make some very cool latticework, cages, etc. by using a double-sided surface.

mTp

P.S. You might need a small non-zero Shift value in Bevel, or a small smooth-shift on the Bevel results to lift the edge geometry out of the original object.