PDA

View Full Version : undocumented 8.5 improvement

toonafish
10-20-2005, 08:36 AM
I just found out that in LW 8.5 you no longer get keys on channels you don't animate with auto key active.

Before you'd get a keyframe on the XYZ or HPB with "modfied channels" set in teh auto key create drop down, even if you just move or rotate an object in the Y axis.

But now you only get a key in the envelope you actualy animate.

Great ! Thanks newtek.

are there more hidden improvements ?

eben
10-20-2005, 09:03 AM
In modeler, "merge points" have a "merge UV" option...didn't try for the moment...

hrgiger
10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Another undocumented improvement is that when you select points and hit p to make a polygon, the points are now deselected. Thank you :newtek: ! I've been in such a habit of making polygons manually and then lassoing the points afterwards to deselect them. Now I just have to get out of the habit because I'm still doing it. :cursin:

Dodgy
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Merge UV's doesn't work at the moment as far as I'm aware... .

toonafish
10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Merge UV's doesn't work at the moment as far as I'm aware... .

Just gave it a try and it works fine here. But it doesn't merge discontinues UV edges if that's what you mean ?

Dodgy
10-20-2005, 11:45 AM
That is exactly what I mean :)

toonafish
10-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Ah, well I'm glad it doesn't. But maybe an extra button for that would be handy if you need to connect the edges.

Which reminds me, wasn't there a feature called "heal UV" that does just that, or am I having a brainfart ?

coremi
10-20-2005, 01:20 PM
also Select Next Loop and Previous Loop, and after u select a loop u can use Select Nth to select every other 2 or 3 poly, very handy for a lot of things. Would be nice to use SHIFT to select many loops this way, hold SHIFT and click next loop and there you go...

Celshader
10-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Which reminds me, wasn't there a feature called "heal UV" that does just that, or am I having a brainfart ?

No, you're right -- there's two UV tools that I had to manually add in my custom configs -- Heal UVs and Weld UVs. Heal UVs seems to sew together discontinued edges on the selected geometry.

Exception
10-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Another undocumented improvement is that when you select points and hit p to make a polygon, the points are now deselected. Thank you :newtek: ! I've been in such a habit of making polygons manually and then lassoing the points afterwards to deselect them. Now I just have to get out of the habit because I'm still doing it. :cursin:

Herve as I said to you before, this is not a new feature, it has been in since [8], you just reset your shortcuts. You are now using the Make Polygon instead of the Make Poly function. Be carefull because the new command does not always work. Also the '/' key will deselect everything and its 2 keys away from the 'p' key, which would be way faster than deselect-lassoing... : )

Karmacop
10-21-2005, 09:18 PM
No, the make Poly command has been changed so that it deselects the points just like the original make polygon command did.

hrgiger
10-22-2005, 06:39 AM
Herve as I said to you before, this is not a new feature, it has been in since [8], you just reset your shortcuts.

Well, first of all, I'm not Herve and just as Karmacop said, it was changed in 8.5 so it automatically deselects your points(as it did orginally).

evenflcw
10-22-2005, 07:12 AM
"No, the Make Poly command has been changed so that it deselects the points just like the original make polygon command did."

Thanks HrGiger and Karmacop, I had no idea they changed this. Now it's finally usable!

This discussion does raise some important issues though, about naming conventions! Naming two different functions Make Poly and Make Polygon is obviously not good (one simply uses a short form of the same word) and apparently leads to confusion amongst users discussing one or the other. NT needs to think these things through more carefully. With the wrong name some functions might not even get used simply because the user isn't even aware that they exist. Consequently taking the time to find the right name for a function is VERY important!

Karmacop
10-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Hopefully this will be part of the consolidation in LW9 :)

Exception
10-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Well, first of all, I'm not Herve and just as Karmacop said, it was changed in 8.5 so it automatically deselects your points(as it did orginally).

Oh sorry HrGiger... I stand corrected (double).
Still... the new command keeps failing on me, almost 9 times out of ten.

Dodgy
10-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Are you using it on a mac? As I'm on a pc, and I've never had it fail on me yet, and have been impressed with how loosely I can select my points and it manages to figure out where to put the polygons. I love this version of the command a lot better than the old make poly command.

Earl
10-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Agreed - I've done some strange point selections and the command hasn't failed on my machine either. Could you give us an example of it failing, so we could test it out ourselves?