PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9.0's Node based texturing

hstewarth
10-19-2005, 11:12 AM
I would really like to see some information on Lightwave 9.0's Node base texturings. This type of technology is really powerfull in Vue and Mojoworld and I currious what we have to look forward to.

Also will the sdk allow for addins to the node based system.

Screen shots and list of nodes available would be really nice :)

gjjackson
10-19-2005, 12:08 PM
I haven't looked but there were some details at Siggraph. There may be some videos of Siggraph on Newtek's website.

Wickster
10-19-2005, 12:33 PM
It's basically the TB_ShaderTree Plugin:
Look here: http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/tabo/3dlabo/image/shadertree/manual.html
(Sorry, but the page is in Japanese)

Plus some Newtek additions and more user friendly, I think.

Celshader
10-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I would really like to see some information on Lightwave 9.0's Node base texturings. ...

Screen shots and list of nodes available would be really nice :)

For what it's worth, Tesselator wrote info here, with visual examples:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5460

Scrub through the thread for all the Tesselator posts...it looks like a fun tool for LW9!

TSpyrison
10-19-2005, 12:55 PM
I believe it is, or what was called Nodal..

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84547&postcount=31

Wickster
10-19-2005, 01:16 PM
I believe it is, or what was called Nodal..
I think it's now called Nodal and it used to be TB_ShaderTree.

It's funny how I have this plugin installed for a long time, yet never got around using it...must be something for users of different 3D softwares, since maya uses a node based shading interface. Well, there's no better time to learn it than right now.

Earl
10-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I was never under the impression that it was ever TB_ShaderTree. How sure are you about this?

Wickster
10-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Not entirely sure but I think it is. I've had the plugin since LW7 so I wasn't really surprised at it when it was introduced at Siggraph. Also, just by looking at the interface, It's very-very-very similar.

From the TB_ShaderTree Manual:
http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/tabo/3dlabo/image/shadertree/contents/image/panel_image.jpg

I could be wrong though.

Still cool none the less. :)

GruvSyco
10-19-2005, 01:55 PM
I think if you follow Celshader's and Tspyrison's links, you'll find the info on the new Node based stuff. Nodal always seemd to be so well integrated into LW that it isn't surprising at all that Newtek snapped it up.

I don't think TB shadetree ever had anything to do with Nodal, although it does give LW users nodal based shading right now :)

lw3d23
10-19-2005, 02:10 PM
I heard from someone that the Material Shader Node Graph is not TB_ShaderTree.

Wickster
10-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Yup, I could be very weel wrong. An integration of different node based plugins perhaps?

The Interface looks familiar (especiall from what Tesselator posted on Tspyrison's link) but the features mentioned are not...

DragonFist
10-19-2005, 02:31 PM
In the one link, it is confirmed by Tesselator that Nodal is what will be intergrated to LW9 but apparently, it shall be a different animal by that time.

-NG-
10-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Powerfull tools coming up lads. :thumbsup:

Elmar Moelzer
10-19-2005, 07:43 PM
From what I know the Node based Texturing and surfacing in LightWave9 will be done by Antti Jarvela who did Nodal, but from what I get it will be much more integrated then. Antti is a great programmer (I had ther honor to work with him) and I am sure he will do a good job.

CU
Elmar

Earl
10-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Cool, thanks for the info Elmar! I'm very excited to see the result of this!

Karmacop
10-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Wickster, you are wrong ;) As has been mentioned, They are Nodal and shader tree are by different developers, and only look similar because they are both nodal systems for Lightwave. From what Tess has said, Nodal was much more powerful than Shader tree, and now that it'll be integrated I'm sure it'll be even better :)

Elmar, is Antti they guy that was very vocal about how bad the Lightwave SDK was? If so, I he'll fix the problems :)

Panikos
10-20-2005, 12:06 AM
This is good news !
Antii is a very good programmer with good knowledge of what is rendering/shading.

Muad'dib
10-20-2005, 12:19 AM
... you peeps are in for a real treat with this :D

Wickster
10-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Hehehe, that's why I said "I could be wrong." Saved myself there. :D

I'm not too fond of the node based texturing thing but if everyone here says its good then it definitely worth a try.

One thing I noticed though, when NT showed this at siggraph, Nodal was an option. You had to add it as a "Shader" plugin/command in the Surface Editor pallette, before you can play with it. I hope they integrate this into a simple button you can press to enter the node-based mode.

KillMe
10-20-2005, 04:56 AM
pretty sure they mentioned in those vids that it was a shader at the moment but would be fully intergrated in v9

Karmacop
10-20-2005, 06:02 AM
Yeah, you did save youerself Wickster ;)

i think how this will be integrated is the most interesting part. Will the T and E buttons just be front ends for the nodal system? Will the texture, graph and nodal systems be seperate as texture and envelope are now? Whichever way it is, I'm sure it'll give us a lot more options :)

mattclary
10-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Hopefully someone will make some good tutorials for it. Nodal texturing has always baffled me, just hard for my mind to grasp. LW's layered approch is just another thing that has always "worked" for me.

hstewarth
10-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Nice response..

One theory I have is that Newtek created this Node based stuff to support intergration with a future version of Vue Vision product that will allow stuff like Vue's Ecosystems to be imported into Lightwave.

Anyway I can't wait to see what Lightwave 9.0 has to offer on this side. Hopefully it means that users can had visual logic into the node graphs.

Qexit
10-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Hopefully someone will make some good tutorials for it. Nodal texturing has always baffled me, just hard for my mind to grasp. LW's layered approch is just another thing that has always "worked" for me.From reading the info posted so far, I gather Newtek will be retaining the Layered appraoch alongside the nodal system so you shouldn't have too many worries :)

Nodal systems are great....if you understand them and/or can get your head around them. If you don't then that becomes "Nodal systems grate". Newtek are/will be wise to include both systems or a chunk of users could hit a brick wall with texturing and any other area that gets Nodal attached.

BTW, there already is another Nodal Texturing system:

VisualTexture from Nodalideas

http://www.nodalideas.com/visualtexture/index.html

gjjackson
10-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Hopefully someone will make some good tutorials for it. Nodal texturing has always baffled me, just hard for my mind to grasp. LW's layered approch is just another thing that has always "worked" for me.

I'm assuming that a nodal system would be just like a layer. Think of a node as a layer. Sometimes you would move the order of layers. Nodes would work the same. This is my assumption. I did download that Shader Tree but haven't a chance to check it out yet. It also has a separate app that does much of the same. That could be helpful.

Para
10-22-2005, 03:49 AM
From what I know the Node based Texturing and surfacing in LightWave9 will be done by Antti Jarvela who did Nodal, but from what I get it will be much more integrated then. Antti is a great programmer (I had ther honor to work with him) and I am sure he will do a good job.

CU
Elmar

You just dropped a 9-megaton bomb, I didn't know Antti was doing something like that although I knew that he was/is working with something shading-related stuff.

Karmacop
10-22-2005, 10:23 AM
So what has Antti done in the past? The coffee shader (which is awsome) is all I can find?