PDA

View Full Version : Texture handling?

Fozz
10-19-2005, 04:00 AM
Got a little problem that's a bit annoying now. I'm doing lots of textures at work, and prefer to save them as PSD to keep things a bit easier for me to edit them, and this works fine in Lightwave. (except for the texture reloading bug that makes me throw out my monitor through the window every now and then)
However, the game needs the stuff in TGA, so when I'm done I have to exchange all the textures in the objects to the TGA versions.
Pretty annoying when you got plenty of 'em.
Anyway to automate this process somehow?

I could save TGA versions from Photoshop straight away, and simply use them in LW as well, but I created an Action for this and it doesn't work very well.
Photoshop uses Absolute Paths when saving so the files end up in the designated folder all the times, and I wanto to work on textures in several different folders.

Anyone got any idea what I'm jabbering about?

mkiii
10-19-2005, 05:46 AM
Yep. I do exactly the same thing these days. I am modelling in LW, Painting textures in Body Paint & Photoshop, and converting everything into TGA & Maya .mb files before final export to a modified HL2 .smd format which is then compiled.

Frankly, it is all a bit of a PITA, and always has been. I just finish everything off, and manually convert the files in Photoshop, saving them as TGA files that are half the size of the original PSD.

I use Deep Exploration, from Right Hemisphere to convert the objects from LW to Maya, which will create a new set of textures during the conversion if you tell it, and if I remember correctly, will also resize them.

ACDSee will also allow you to select a bunch of .psd & convert them all into another format such as .tga (either as a copy or overwriting the original).

Fozz
10-19-2005, 06:50 AM
Might have found a pretty nice solution!
CS2 has an scripts Event manager that can run a script automaticly when you save your PSD.
One of the scripts that comes with CS2 is "Save extra JPG" that saves a JPG copy of the PSD, in the same directory.
Quick hacking to make it save TGA instead, and things are great!
You just save the PSD as usual, and at the same time it updates the TGA that you can use in Lightwave and the gameengine.
Haven't tried it for real yet, but I think this will work out great. :)

Dodgy
10-19-2005, 06:52 AM
I use Deep Exploration, from Right Hemisphere to convert the objects from LW to Maya, which will create a new set of textures during the conversion if you tell it, and if I remember correctly, will also resize them.

LOL That's my pipeline :)

ZWF_BES
04-27-2007, 08:42 AM
hell this thread dead, but anyhow there is a tool that can batch convert to/from many formats and even change palettes etc.

But i am afraid its not available anymore so you get it used or not at all.

Its called Debabelizer and is useful in cases like this.