PDA

View Full Version : Maestro 2 is out!

NanoGator
10-18-2005, 09:26 PM
http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro/biped.jpghttp://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro/facialposes.jpg

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro/keyframeeditor.jpg

Woohoo! Maestro2 is out (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro)!

After months of development, we're finally done! *Whew* I'm relieved. So what's new in 2?
Here's the list:

Multi-Page Control of Hotspots: This is an exciting update to the controller that has to be scene to believed. With Maestro 1, you sometimes had to switch hotspots 2 or three times to pose part of the character. Not anymore. While dragging, pressing down the Alt, CTRL, or Shift buttons will change which part of the character you're moving. It's like changing gears. (It's kind of like the turbo button, for all you Mario fans out there. ;)) We've found this incredibly useful for controlling the arms. You can quickly go back and forth between adjusting the position of the arm goal (on all 3 axes...), rotating the elbos, and pointing the wrist.

Key Editor / Dope Track: Now you can see the keyframes for the controllers you're working on. You can move them, scale them, and even drag them much like you can drag points around using the Dragnet tool in Modeler. You can add as many rows as you like. You have tools to change the TCB values of all of the keys. You can change the type of keys they are (i.e TCB, Linear, Stepped...). You can even highlight a group of keys and drag all of the Position.X values, for example. (This is really useful if you just want to move your characters a few fractions of a meter to the side...) You can duplicate keys. You can create hold keys (great for creating foot falls that don't slide...). We even have a neat little preview mode so you can highlight a section of time and loop it. (Don't worry, it'll return you back to where you were so there's no interruption...)

Load and Save Poses: That's right, Maestro now supports the loading and saving of Poses. You can even tie these poses to a Pose Hotspot. What this means is you can drag the new pose into place. (We've found this to be very useful for lipsync, for example...)

Load and Save Motions: You can highlight keys on a track and save the motion data into a file. You can then reload that motion into your character into another scene. You can even apply these motions to other characters! (Again, we've found this useful with lipsynch as well. For example, I can do the lipsyhnc for a scene while Eric's animating a character.)

Selection Hotspots: That's right, we added a new type of hotspot specifically for saving selection sets. You can have it highlight a bunch of items in layout or even throw a bunch of channels into Graph Editor. They're very easy to set up and they make organizing your scene a snap!

Creating your own Hotspots: We have streamlined the hotspot creation process. Not only is it easier to create a hotspot, but you can test its functionality before you're done making changes!

Auto Rigging: Of course, you can still rig your characters with Maestro. We've even added a keyframable hip centering plugin for the hips. No more 'always on' hip centering!

Multi Select Hotspots: Oh yes, you can select multiple hotspots at one time and control all of them with one mouse drag. Created a hotspot for each wheel of a car and now you want to rotate all four at once? No problemo. Simply ctrl+click on each hotspot to select it, then start clicking and dragging. Heck, you can even set up a Selection Hotspot to select all four of them for you!

Maestro2 is now available for sale for $149. If you've already purchased Maestro 1, then the upgrade is $39. (note: If you purchased Maestro 1 AFTER July 1st 2005, you're entitled to a free upgrade! Email support 'at' stillwaterpictures 'dot' com for your new license key.)

Interested in purchasing M2? Head on over to http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro. (make sure to click on the Paypal link...)

We developed this plugin because we needed tools to speed up character animation workflow. Eric and I are quite proud of what Maestro has turned into. So if you have any questions or comments, please, feel free to fire away! :)

WilliamVaughan
10-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Congrats on the new release....you just made alot of animators very happy!

Johnnyx
10-19-2005, 06:23 AM
..really quick question... will all my Maestro1 files open up no problem with M2?

Cheers!

Looks awsome btw!

cresshead
10-19-2005, 06:32 AM
neato!
will be upgrading this week!

NanoGator
10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
..really quick question... will all my Maestro1 files open up no problem with M2?

Cheers!

Looks awsome btw!

Yep! The mouse control is a little different so you'll wanna read the docs, but everything still works. Be careful about mixing up rigs, though. The new rig needs a different skeleton from the old one. But if you're talking about just the control part of it, it'll work fine.

I can go into more specifics if you like.

pooby
10-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi Nanogator..
I wrote the following in the feature request section.. Is this something that would be possible to do? ( theoretically) with Maestro?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine if your animated rig could use write its motion to an external file that would automatically be referenced by any number of scenes.

It would mean you wouldn't have to keep loading from scene all the time. You could do all your Character animation in one slimmed down scene, save it out, and any new animation you do would update in all the reference scenes.

Mdd files can do this with a deformed mesh, but often you want the rig in the render shot too, especially if you have textures controlled by nulls etc.

If you are doing sasquatch passes or matte object passes etc, it would save a HUGE amount of faffing around.

It would be a most brilliant feature. I'd imagine it's pretty easy to make.
I have seen HMOT loaders, but it's requires manual placement. None automatically link to an external source. Why doesn't motion mixer do this, for example?

rcr62
10-20-2005, 12:58 AM
How long is the it on sale for (blown this months software budget already)?

Thanks

badllarma
10-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi Nanogator..
I wrote the following in the feature request section.. Is this something that would be possible to do? ( theoretically) with Maestro?

Imagine if your animated rig could use write its motion to an external file that would automatically be referenced by any number of scenes.

It would mean you wouldn't have to keep loading from scene all the time. You could do all your Character animation in one slimmed down scene, save it out, and any new animation you do would update in all the reference scenes.

Mdd files can do this with a deformed mesh, but often you want the rig in the render shot too, especially if you have textures controlled by nulls etc.

If you are doing sasquatch passes or matte object passes etc, it would save a HUGE amount of faffing around.

It would be a most brilliant feature. I'd imagine it's pretty easy to make.
I have seen HMOT loaders, but it's requires manual placement. None automatically link to an external source. Why doesn't motion mixer do this, for example?

:i_agree:

That would be reallly cool and on it's way to something like the control in Massive you could have a bank of movment data for each character then just dip in for each set of moves on the fly.

Ideally what you would want is each of these movement sets to be classed as a special hot spot then all you do is bring them into the interface and link them with other "movements" ideally in node form. (very simlar to a Massive interface) then you could have the time line to say at frame 0 use "walk" keyframe @ frame 12 use "stand" @ fram 15 use "guard" etc etc...

this would be very cool and as Pooby say is you did this in a basic scene to set all the movement data up (like Massive uses motion capture) then when you actully get to the scene the work time that would be saved would be invaluable.

ericsmith
10-20-2005, 09:40 AM
How long is the it on sale for (blown this months software budget already)? Thanks

$149.95 is the regular price. It's not going to go up, until we release version 3 which is slated to include full crowd control with an artificial intelligence engine, full physics simulation (ala endorphin) and voice recognition, so you can just talk to your characters and they will do what you say.

Then it will cost $149,950.00. ; }

Eric

toonafish
10-20-2005, 10:07 AM

couldn't you use MotionMixer for that ?

NanoGator
10-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Hi Nanogator..

Maestro's part of the way there. It can be set up to save the motion for any given number of objects at any given number of times. It can then be reloaded to another scene, even a different character. (it does a snazzy little search and replace to pull that off...) It's the 'automatic' part that Maestro doesn't do. You still have to do that with the 'load' button or an NG Command.

I think I mentioned this before (sorry, still having my morning coffee) but we use this for lip synch. Sometimes I do the lip synch while Eric's doing the character animation. Because Maestro does the renaming for us, I even use a slimmed down version of the character. It's just a head with no body for me. That allows me to crank up the subdivision and still get real-time feedback. I save the motion file, then Eric picks it up later in his animated scene and loads the file I created. Blammo, his animated character now has lip sync. There really isn't any reason why it couldn't be used to import the final animation to the final set. :)

badllarma
10-20-2005, 10:53 AM
$149.95 is the regular price. It's not going to go up, until we release version 3 which is slated to include full crowd control with an artificial intelligence engine, full physics simulation (ala endorphin) and voice recognition, so you can just talk to your characters and they will do what you say.

Eric

So long as the upgrade price is still $39.95 I've no problems with that Eric :D

I take it thats the requests you have so far for version 3 :D

gjjackson
10-20-2005, 11:09 AM

Eric

My credit card won't go up that high, and neither will Paypal. Will you take a check. :)

toonafish
10-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Wow, just installed it and played around. Great improvements ! To be honest, even though I bought version 1.0 some time ago I hardly used it but I'm going to give it another shot.

Especialy the little dope track / time slider is veeeery usefull though it would be cool if the screen would be scalable, but I suppose that has something to do with LW's limitations. The Hold key copy and pose saving is a dream come true ! How come you guys can cook up something this cool in Lscript while the dopesheet that comes with Lightwave doesn't even come close ?
Now I have 3 time sliders in LW !! Haha, how typical ;-)

Some feature requests for the next version:
-invert mouse drag; sometimes when an object is facing the wrong direction the mouse drag is very counter intuitive. You have to drag to the left to make the object go right. When this happens I prefer to move an object in my view.
Oops... figured that one out, just set the rate to a negative value. Great !!

-Not really a feature request but just something I noticed; teh drop shadows in the hotspot editor make the text less readable.

-would be cool if "get item" would get the item that is currently selected in LW so you don't have to look for it in the list. It's quite a hassle when the list is long.

-Middle Mouse Button Support would be great.

(/edit) and pretty please with sugar on top, make the dopetrack a standalone that can replace Lightwave's dopetrack (\edit)

pooby
10-21-2005, 02:53 AM
How come you guys can cook up something this cool in Lscript while the dopesheet that comes with Lightwave doesn't even come close ?

Because they are designing it with purpose to be used on their own production so they know what animators want and need rather than a vague 'I've made a sort of animation tool thing- see what you can do with this' attitude.
Newtek also need to be in close contact with professional animators to understand what they need.

blabberlicious
10-24-2005, 04:38 AM
Some feature requests for the next version:
-invert mouse drag; sometimes when an object is facing the wrong direction the mouse drag is very counter intuitive. You have to drag to the left to make the object go right. When this happens I prefer to move an object in my view.
Oops... figured that one out, just set the rate to a negative value. Great !!

-Not really a feature request but just something I noticed; teh drop shadows in the hotspot editor make the text less readable.

-would be cool if "get item" would get the item that is currently selected in LW so you don't have to look for it in the list. It's quite a hassle when the list is long.

(/edit) and pretty please with sugar on top, make the dopetrack a standalone that can replace Lightwave's dopetrack (\edit)

Just create a pane, add the channels you want to have in the tracks (or load a prest)- set the size to some thing more substantial, and you are done. Tabbing through each pane with autonatically resize the window.

Middle Mouse Button works fine for me.

This is great software, made by people who actually animate!

:thumbsup:

toonafish
10-24-2005, 09:16 AM
thanks for the tips blaberlicious.

By the way, I think I found a bug in Maestro 2. The Vertical Channel doesn't work in the Channel Control Hotspot. Whenever I select and get an endomorph or another channel it initialy puts the name in the field but after re-opening the panel or refreshing it by going to another Tab and back it put's "0.0000" in the field instead of the name I just added.

The vertical channels only seem to work when I don't put anything in the Horizontal field.

can anyone confirm this ?

Dual Xeon, LW 8.5, Quadro FX 3400, Win 2K.

ericsmith
10-24-2005, 09:46 AM

Not really sure what you mean by this. Can you clarify?

We've actually talked about doing this for a while now. For some reason, it just keeps slipping through the cracks. I'll put it back on the list, it's a good idea.

In what way? We're currently using the middle mouse for reset when in run mode, and scaling a hotspot when in edit mode. Also, MMB in the keyframe editor make a dupe of selected keys.

and pretty please with sugar on top, make the dopetrack a standalone that can replace Lightwave's dopetrack

There's a couple of technical issues with Lightwave that make this unattainable at this point (you can't actually have two non-modal panels with mouse events running in Lightwave. Newtek knows about this, and they're working on it. Also, the two components need to communicate closely between each other, so seperating them could be tricky.)

from toonafish:

thanks for the tips blaberlicious. By the way, I think I found a bug in Maestro 2. The Vertical Channel doesn't work in the Channel Control Hotspot. Whenever I select and get an endomorph or another channel it initialy puts the name in the field but after re-opening the panel or refreshing it by going to another Tab and back it put's "0.0000" in the field instead of the name I just added. The vertical channels only seem to work when I don't put anything in the Horizontal field. can anyone confirm this ? Dual Xeon, LW 8.5, Quadro FX 3400, Win 2K.

I tested this on 8.3, and it worked fine. This may be an 8.5 thing that we didn't catch. I'll have Brian look into this.

Eric

toonafish
10-24-2005, 11:59 AM

It's the text that says "Horizontal Mouse-" and "Veritical mouse movement" ( that's actualy a typo in Maestro :-) ) I feel like I'm cross eyed when I'm looking at it :D

In what way? We're currently using the middle mouse for reset when in run mode, and scaling a hotspot when in edit mode. Also, MMB in the keyframe editor make a dupe of selected keys.

Sorry, I meant Right mouse button for the Hotspots control. I'd prefer just mouse controls over using Hotkeys. Guess I'm just a lazy guy.

There's a couple of technical issues with Lightwave that make this unattainable at this point (you can't actually have two non-modal panels with mouse events running in Lightwave. Newtek knows about this, and they're working on it. Also, the two components need to communicate closely between each other, so seperating them could be tricky.)

Maybe something like KeyTrak from Spatial Design that could work without a hotspot panel. Sometimes it's just too much of a hasle to setup hotspots and I'd like to use this timeline instead of LW's all the time.
When I try to use it now with some objects that have bones in them I have to re-select the top of the hierarchy ( the object the bones are attached to ) whenever I selected another object that is outside of the hierarchy.

NanoGator
10-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Hey Toona: Didja get my PM about the bug ya found?

Brian

NanoGator
10-24-2005, 05:47 PM

Brian

That would be a no since i've hit my limit and the Newtek forums have been acting funny today. Hehe.

Could you email me at brianpace 'at' nanogator 'dot' com?

toonafish
10-25-2005, 04:02 AM

I also reported the bug to Eric Smith and he sent me a reply. He's right about it beeing a 8.5 issue. Just tried it and in 8.3 it works fine.

Wireframex
10-25-2005, 04:48 AM
is there any demo version or video about Maestro ??

Phil

harlan
10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
****in amazing Nano... Maestro2 looks amazing!!!

Congrats

bluworld
10-26-2005, 02:27 AM
Wireframex - there are some demo videos here:
http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858

These were out before the release but should give you some idea of the features.

Wireframex
10-26-2005, 02:33 AM
Wireframex - there are some demo videos here:
http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858

These were out before the release but should give you some idea of the features.

Thank you Bluworld.

Phil

badllarma
10-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi all,
Just a question I've skimmed the Meastro 2 manual and am I correct in thinking I can no longer set up the skelegons in modeler? As it seems the manual only referes to setting up the rigs in Layout?

ericsmith
10-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Skelegon setup is exactly the same as version 1. I'm a bit confused when you say the manual doesn't talk about this. We did edit the manual to reflect version 2's new features, but I didn't take out any of the stuff about setting up skelegons in modeler. Page 4 covers the basics, and pages 32 - 35 cover proper bone setup/placement in modeler.

Eric

badllarma
10-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Sorry Eric I'd read page 5 only just found page 4 under my desk where the printer had left it :bangwall:

All the rest of the manual was in the tray :compbeati

toonafish
11-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Been using the Maestro hotspots quite a bit in the last two weeks and here's some stuff I noticed, and maybe some ideas for the next update.

- loading pane's from scene works like a charm, I can adjust the pane in one scene. And when I continue working on another scene with the same character. I just load up the updated panel. Great thinking !!

- When I LMB drag I move the pose percentage towards 100%, but when I MMB click on the hotspot to set it to 100% in one click which is great, but then I can't adjust the amount anymore. Only when I tweak the keyframe in the Graph editor the Hotspot becomes active again.

-When I have selected an object outside the hierarchy of the pane's associated object the keys to selected objects that should appear in the Maestro Panel no longer do so. First I have to select the associated object to be able to see the keys again.
That's a bit distracting when you're animating an IK-goal that's not part of a hierarchy and you ant to tweak the keys of a bone after that, but every time you first have to select the associated object before you can do so.
Would be a big improvement if that was not nessecary anymore.

-Maybe an idea to change the horizontal and vertical movement to movements towards the corners of the Hotspot box for the Channel Controller like in Timothee Albee's Facial Animation controllers. This way you'd have much better control over endomorphs.

-Would be great if there was a quicker way to set the TCB of selected keys then sliding the mouse. It simply takes too much dragging to set the TCB this way.
Maybe a double click on the little "T" "C" or "B" could set the value to 1 and a Alt+double click would set the value to 0 ? These are the values used most of the time anyway.

-The little name fields on the left hand side of the timeline could be a little bigger, or scalable would be even better. I can hardly ever see the name of the selected object.

-A scalable timeslider would be great. Sometimes it's too hard to see and select the individual keyframes and selecting and fitting to keys every time you want to change the size is a bit awkward.

blabberlicious
11-02-2005, 08:54 AM
I have nothing but admiration for the quality of this Plugin

Apart from Coffee, I can't think of another tool helps produce quick, efficient animation :-)

I've been experimeneting with combining it with the great Spline Shift plugin, using Maestro to control Deformation Splines linked to weightmaps.

Maestro makes the slection and manupulation of the spline handles very easy, and the multi-button hotspot and timeline sacrubbing a fantastic.

One thing that needs attention is the Manual, which is usful but needs to be broken up into more managebale chunks. Some very usful information gets lost, otherwise.

Also, add some video to you site again, because it'll quadruple your sales.

Best wishes.

NanoGator
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey man, thanks for the comments. :) My answers below:

Been using the Maestro hotspots quite a bit in the last two weeks and here's some stuff I noticed, and maybe some ideas for the next update.

- When I LMB drag I move the pose percentage towards 100%, but when I MMB click on the hotspot to set it to 100% in one click which is great, but then I can't adjust the amount anymore. Only when I tweak the keyframe in the Graph editor the Hotspot becomes active again.

This is by design. Maestro looks at the pose that your character is at now, then it works out the direction all of the related items needs to go in order to slide to the destination precisely when it hits 100%. But, it's not limited to that, it can blow past 100% because it's just a simple slope equation. Unfortunately when the pose is at 100%, the slope for each item is 0%. So it really can't go anywhere. That's why adjusting the keyframe works. It kicks it out of being a slope of 0 and gives it a direction it can go. That make sense?

-When I have selected an object outside the hierarchy of the pane's associated object the keys to selected objects that should appear in the Maestro Panel no longer do so. First I have to select the associated object to be able to see the keys again.
That's a bit distracting when you're animating an IK-goal that's not part of a hierarchy and you ant to tweak the keys of a bone after that, but every time you first have to select the associated object before you can do so.
Would be a big improvement if that was not nessecary anymore.

Hmm that's not the way it should behave. The AutoTrack window should pull in anything in layout, not just pane specific stuff. Can you send me an email (preferably with a sample scene?) so I can look into it? I wonder if there's an odd naming circumstance that would cause it to hiccup. (brianpace 'at' nanogator 'dot' com.) (Btw, I fixed that other problem you mentioned in another thread. Should be out soon.)

-Maybe an idea to change the horizontal and vertical movement to movements towards the corners of the Hotspot box for the Channel Controller like in Timothee Albee's Facial Animation controllers. This way you'd have much better control over endomorphs.

Could you describe that in a little more detail? (i.e. much better control...?) I haven't used TAFA so I'm not sure quite how it works in that regard. I can say, though, that we provide a significant amount of control per hotspot as well. Each hotspot has two axes (vertical and horizontal) plus it has four pages. If you're dragging on a hotspot and you suddenly hold down the Alt key, you're now activating an entirely different controller, it's almost like you suddenly switched to another hotspot. What's nice about this is that you can keep your eyes on your character while you're adjusting it, just swtich between alt, ctrl, and shift to change modes.

I think most people around here would be surprised at how well Maestro2 works with lip sync. The pose hotspots in particular have made this process very simple and straight forward. Not only does this provide a simple short cut to getting the face into a pose you'd like, but it creates the keyframes automatically making syllables much easier to animate. The facial controls also provide very straight forward access to different aspects of the face, great for generating expressions on a per scene basis. Added to the mix is the key editor at the bottom of M2. Once you click on a pose hotspot, you've suddenly got the keyframes for all those items ready to be dragged around. (Or you can have a track per controller...) I can't stress enough how wonderful it is to have all that available at a glance. I was surprised at how quick and straightforward M2 was with lip sync. It has a good mix of flexibility plus a 'get to the point' attitude. That sort of make sense?

-Would be great if there was a quicker way to set the TCB of selected keys then sliding the mouse. It simply takes too much dragging to set the TCB this way.
Maybe a double click on the little "T" "C" or "B" could set the value to 1 and a Alt+double click would set the value to 0 ? These are the values used most of the time anyway.

If you middle click on one of the TCB values, it'll reset them to 0. I think I should probably put an alt+mmb click in there to set it to one and again for negative one. In the mean time, the sensitivity is set up so that if you want to zap something to 1 or -1, you can basically 'flick the wrist' into it. Anyhoo, can't promise anything right this second, but I'll see what I can do. :)

-The little name fields on the left hand side of the timeline could be a little bigger, or scalable would be even better. I can hardly ever see the name of the selected object.

Sorry man, nothing I can do about that at the moment. The print function that LScript gives me only prints in one size. Can't change the font or anything. (I really do hope Newtek'll improve some of the graphic functions for LScript in the not too distant future...)

-A scalable timeslider would be great. Sometimes it's too hard to see and select the individual keyframes and selecting and fitting to keys every time you want to change the size is a bit awkward.

I'm not sure I understand this point fully, so please forgive me if I answer this comment incorrectly: The TimeLine has basically the same navigation style as Graph Editor does. So if you Alt + Ctrl drag in the time line, you'll find yourself resizing the timeline. That help?

Thanks for the comments!

Brian

NanoGator
11-02-2005, 12:25 PM
blabberlicious: That's a really cool way to manipulate the mouth! Do those handles in the spline have their own envelopes by chance?

NanoGator
11-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Hey Toonafish, I think I misread one of your posts:

You wanted bigger text fields. Did you mean larger font or wider text area? Apologies if I misread that.

blabberlicious
11-02-2005, 01:32 PM
blabberlicious: That's a really cool way to manipulate the mouth! Do those handles in the spline have their own envelopes by chance?

Yes - they are pure Lightwave :-)

toonafish
11-03-2005, 04:05 AM
This is by design. Maestro looks at the pose that your character is at now, then it works out the direction all of the related items needs to go in order to slide to the destination precisely when it hits 100%. But, it's not limited to that, it can blow past 100% because it's just a simple slope equation. Unfortunately when the pose is at 100%, the slope for each item is 0%. So it really can't go anywhere. That's why adjusting the keyframe works. It kicks it out of being a slope of 0 and gives it a direction it can go. That make sense?

Ah, I understand. Thanks for explaining.

Hmm that's not the way it should behave. The AutoTrack window should pull in anything in layout, not just pane specific stuff. Can you send me an email (preferably with a sample scene?) so I can look into it? I wonder if there's an odd naming circumstance that would cause it to hiccup. (brianpace 'at' nanogator 'dot' com.) (Btw, I fixed that other problem you mentioned in another thread. Should be out soon.)

I'll email you a scene file.

Could you describe that in a little more detail? (i.e. much better control...?) I haven't used TAFA so I'm not sure quite how it works in that regard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with Maestro and the Channel box works better then anything we had so far to control envelopes. It's just that I found that the way the control boxes in TAFA worked a bit easyer and I'm trying to come up with ideas to improve Maestro. If it sounds like I'm complaining I must appologize, nothing but praise for what you guys pulled off ! :thumbsup:

The way it works in TAFA is that you assign a morph to every corner of the hotbox and the neutral pose is in the middle of the box. This way you can assign a "Right _eyebrow-up" morph to the right top corner, the "Right_eyebrow_down" to the lower right corner and the same for the left side.

This works much more intuitive then hotkeys, espacialy because you don't have to remember what hotkeys to use for what box to control a morph. You have all the controls in one Box.

If you middle click on one of the TCB values, it'll reset them to 0. I think I should probably put an alt+mmb click in there to set it to one and again for negative one.

That would be swell :-)

I'm not sure I understand this point fully, so please forgive me if I answer this comment incorrectly: The TimeLine has basically the same navigation style as Graph Editor does. So if you Alt + Ctrl drag in the time line, you'll find yourself resizing the timeline. That help?

:bangwall:

Thanks for taking the time, and again...sorry if I sound negative sometimes. I'll try using more smilies :D

( just found out there's a actual limit to how many smilies you're allowed to use) :thumbsdow

toonafish
11-03-2005, 04:07 AM
Hey Toonafish, I think I misread one of your posts:

You wanted bigger text fields. Did you mean larger font or wider text area? Apologies if I misread that.

yes yes, bigger fields please :D :thumbsup: :bowdown: :boogiedow

toonafish
11-03-2005, 05:16 AM
btw, you can see TAFA is action in this movie:

http://ta-animation.macreitercreations.com/FA/FA_WorkingEnv_01_DIVX5.avi

maybe that explains it better.

:D

NanoGator
11-03-2005, 10:24 AM
OT: Is there a David Hodes in the audience? We've been trying to email you and no response. Could you PM me?

[Edit: we found him! Note to everybody: If it takes more than a day to respond, try emailing me at brianpace 'at' nanogator 'dot' com as an alternative. ]

NanoGator
11-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with Maestro and the Channel box works better then anything we had so far to control envelopes. It's just that I found that the way the control boxes in TAFA worked a bit easyer and I'm trying to come up with ideas to improve Maestro. If it sounds like I'm complaining I must appologize, nothing but praise for what you guys pulled off ! :thumbsup:

The way it works in TAFA is that you assign a morph to every corner of the hotbox and the neutral pose is in the middle of the box. This way you can assign a "Right _eyebrow-up" morph to the right top corner, the "Right_eyebrow_down" to the lower right corner and the same for the left side.

This works much more intuitive then hotkeys, espacialy because you don't have to remember what hotkeys to use for what box to control a morph. You have all the controls in one Box.

No no, actually I didn't mean to sound defensive. Sorry man. Hehe.

Fair points. I'm curious: Do these boxes need to be fairly large to be useful to control with?

Thanks for taking the time, and again...sorry if I sound negative sometimes. I'll try using more smilies :D

( just found out there's a actual limit to how many smilies you're allowed to use) :thumbsdow

No worries, and no, didn't read that as negative. I wasn't trying to shoot down your ideas or anything like that, just thought you might be interested in what M2's offering right now. :)

Oh, and thanks for the vid link. Gonna have a go at that later today!

moremetall
06-27-2006, 06:22 AM
You got my order today !
Realy looking forward geting my hands on this one !:D

gjjackson
06-27-2006, 06:43 AM
It takes a little getting used to. You should get the videos that's been put out. They will help.

ericsmith
06-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Just so you know, the videos have been consolidated here:

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Maestrodemos

There are several version 1 demos that are a bit out of date, but still cover the general ideas. I want to re-do all of these to be current. I just have to find the time.

Eric

paul summers
07-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Do any of you use Maestro on the mac?
will it work with LW 9?

thanks

moremetall
07-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Works under LW9 Windows, can not say anyting on Mac if it works or not under LW9 but probably it will. :)