PDA

View Full Version : SPLIT POLYGON tools like Maya's

kfinla
10-18-2005, 04:58 PM
I may be missing somthing LW has, but something i consitantly miss in LW, and about the only modelling feature Maya has over LW is the split polygon tool. Id love to be able to have the pen tool like in maya and split polys this way beyond using bandsaw, or the knife tool.

Well your at it, why not rip off the TOPOLOGY brush Silo has.

All good stuff for modeler.

Celshader
10-18-2005, 05:04 PM
I may be missing somthing LW has, but something i consitantly miss in LW, and about the only modelling feature Maya has over LW is the split polygon tool.

I have not yet used Maya, but I'm curious. How is Maya's Split Polygon tool different from LW's Split Polygon tool?

FWIW, here's how LW's Split Polygon tool works...

In Modeler, select a polygon in Polygon Selection Mode. Then go into Point Selection Mode and select two points across the polygon. Hit CTRL-L to Split the polygon.

Dodgy
10-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Maya's split poly tool is a bit like LW's add edges tool. Have you looked at that kfinla? It's in Detail>Edges>Add edges.

Select the faces you want to split (this is optional)
Activate the Add edges tool.
Click from circle to circle and LW will add an edge between them. Bring up the numeric panel if you want distance/percentage snaps and other options.

kfinla
10-18-2005, 05:19 PM
ya.. thats not so cool. And why i never use that, and forgot it existed till now.

In maya you have a pen tool that lets your arbitrarily draw how u want the polygon to be split. Just draw the line, u can just slide the new vertex around on the connecting edge etc. Much more intuitve and powerful.

Dodgy
10-18-2005, 05:26 PM
You can slide the cut up and down the edge in lw... The only thing it won't do is interior points to the face.

Celshader
10-18-2005, 05:26 PM
ya.. thats not so cool. And why i never use that, and forgot it existed till now.

In maya you have a pen tool that lets your arbitrarily draw how u want the polygon to be split. Just draw the line, u can just slide the new vertex around on the connecting edge etc. Much more intuitve and powerful.

Ah. Take Dodgy's advice, then, and look into Modeler's Edge Tools. They do sound like the same thing.

Dodgy
10-18-2005, 05:28 PM
In maya you can't end the cut interior to the face either. So swings and roundabouts :)

mkiii
10-18-2005, 06:53 PM
The Add Edges tool in modeler is much better than the one in Maya.

The one in Maya is pretty flakey & doesn't always make the edge. And don't get me started on Mayas other less than useful polygon modelling tools.

What version of modeler are you using Kfinla? Because the Add Edges tool has been in modeler for quite some time now. Either way, I suggest a quick RTFM, cos if you missed this one, hidden in plain view, then there are probably a load more useful tools in there that you may have missed.

As for the topology brush from Silo - yeah, looks pretty neat, and probably never gonna happen in modeler in the way that Silo does it.

I have to say, that creating a low poly mesh over the top of a high poly one, just by drawing polygons isn't really *that* difficult anyway.

What modeler could REALLY do with, is for you to be able to snap to points on an object in a background layer, and for the Pen tool to use Gridsnap.

That way, you could draw polys all over the denser background mesh, with the pen tool.

evenflcw
10-20-2005, 02:31 PM
On the whole I also consider Add Edge better than mayas Split Polygon, but I wouldn't say much better. As always tools differ in functionality, each has it's particular advantages and disadvantages. Imho the best part about Add Edge is the precision. In that departement it is unrivaled. It's worst part is the workflow. Having to click on circles is slow and clumsy, and not being able to cut the same polygon twice is tedious. Still I love this tool because no other tool in LW allows me the same level of presicion cutting.

Celshader
10-20-2005, 03:09 PM
...not being able to cut the same polygon twice is tedious.

For what it's worth, someone wrote a $50 LightWave plug-in that will cut one or more polygons as many times as you want with one lasso-type stroke:
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit

I'm not sure if I need it for my work, but some here might find it useful.

hrgiger
10-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Having to click on circles is slow and clumsy, and not being able to cut the same polygon twice is tedious.

True. I also don't like that when you're working in a fairly dense area, sometimes, it is next to impossible to pick the right circle and sometimes you have to start over.

digefxgrp
10-21-2005, 02:46 AM
EasySplit by TrueArts http://easysplit.trueart.pl/
lets you freehand draw/knife over any single or group of polys.
Version 2 now works on sub-patches.
If you draw over just an edge it adds a point to just that edge.
It's a very cool tool. :thumbsup:

Nemoid
10-21-2005, 05:09 AM
edge tools in Lw aren't bad, but split poligons ala maya is better.

however, the tools are there and they're usable as well. :thumbsup:

erikals
10-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Reguarding EasySplit, this is my favourite function.
http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/EasySplit_AddPoint.gif

Would also like to see this function on the knife tool. (ok, not 1st priority)
http://erikalstad.com/cgtemp/KnifePlus.jpg

Nemoid
10-21-2005, 01:55 PM
woot this easysplit is way cool. i never tried it so far, but i will.

evenflcw
10-21-2005, 02:12 PM
EasySplit is no doubt an efficient tool to add detail with. But it's imho mainly suited for organic modeling as it lacks precision. I'm not very keen on tools that have such limited application. It'd be nice to see one tool that takes the best from all (add edge, easysplit and mayas Split Polygon) worlds.

Erikals, is that a knife tool with a custom number of parrallell cuts? Funky, don't think I have ever felt the need for such a tool though. But you never know, maybe I will someday. When did you need such a thing?

erikals
10-21-2005, 04:21 PM
EasySplit is no doubt an efficient tool to add detail with. But it's imho mainly suited for organic modeling as it lacks precision. I'm not very keen on tools that have such limited application. It'd be nice to see one tool that takes the best from all (add edge, easysplit and mayas Split Polygon) worlds.

Erikals, is that a knife tool with a custom number of parrallell cuts? Funky, don't think I have ever felt the need for such a tool though. But you never know, maybe I will someday. When did you need such a thing?

Agree, EasySplit surely could be better.

Hehe, I'm almost afraid to answer that second question. Yep, its the Knifetool. It was a "detail overkill" idea I had, it has to do with normal maps. If u look at games often the wood-wall seems very flat. The main reason it looks flat is because the split in betweed the wood-boards (exuse english here) is 2 dimentional, by making the splits 3D, and then make a normal map my guess is that the wall will look more realistic esp. when seen from an angle. This is overkill though, and maybe a not-so-smart method, but I'm sure I would like to have the tool-option later on.

http://erikalstad.com/cgtemp/KnifeToolOverkill.jpg

Edit: :stumped: hmm, let's wait with this actually, there are more important feature requests I guess, and I just found a fast work-around. +WedgeBevel plug or EdgeBevel sort of can fix it

Sensei
12-07-2005, 10:34 AM
You could see EasySplit in real action here
http://telamon.nerim.net/WIP/Test.avi
This video was made by one of our clients..

EasySplit v2.5, which will be soon, supports Symmetry and has right mouse button adjustable merge tolerance (you will never touch slider in numeric window after this release!)..

I would be glad to hear how to make this tool better..

Emmanuel
12-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't have Maya open right now, but IIRC, the split poly tool also snaps with vertices.
As an example we had the scrbbled template of a fish in the background (image plane) and layed out an ngon around the contour of the fish, then we used split polygon to add the edges to the ngon to get a quad mesh.
It was useful that the split polygon tool snapped with the single vertices of the ngon so we could add the edges starting at the vertices.

Lamont
12-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Nah, I don't like Maya's split poly tool. LW's edge tools give me what I want really quick. And you can just select the polys you want to split without having a ton of little circles.

ercaxus
12-07-2005, 07:34 PM
I believe we have those circles(very annoying) just because we don't have edges yet. When we get edges, someone (probably a smart japanese guy over there)will eventually make a edge split/cut/draw/erase/merge tool like the stuff wings3d has.