PDA

View Full Version : Backing up files

Davoid
10-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Hello,

I am sorry if this has been asked before, I have tried a search but no luck. I have just received my copy of Lightwave 8 :) and installed fine on my PC system. But was wondering before starting to use the program, if there are any particular files I should back up to a safe place incase of a disaster.

Also do you leave the dongle (USB) in all the time, or should it be removed when program not in use or shutting the system off?

Thanks for any help,
Dave

xchrisx
10-21-2005, 08:47 PM
There are two things which I would backup when upgrading LW. The first is just making a copy of your Lightwave folder and calling it something like LW_Backup. That way if your plugins get overwritten, deleted, moved, etc. you can just copy them right back over. The other thing I would back up are the CFG files in your C:\Documents And Settings\<username>\ . Anything ending with a CFG I usually copy to another folder somewhere so if my settings get messed up I can revert back to what I had.

As for the dongle question, leaving it in doesn't cause any problems. I leave mine plugged in all the time in a USB hub I have. If you dont have enough USB slots, use a laptop (where it could get bumped), or are not comfortable with leaving the dongle in, take it out when your not using it and put it in a safe place.

hope this helps
chris