PDA

View Full Version : Overlay Problems

ryanneves
10-18-2005, 03:27 PM
having a problem on the Beta Patch? sometimes when I use the tricaster, and I press the Overlay button to "fade" or "take" on the tricaster it doesn't work. The acting of "Fade All" or "take All" works on the Video but does not show the overlay. I do a restart from the tricaster menu, it still doesn't work. I shut down completely and startup again....it works fine.

Is this a known bug that is being worked on.

This problem seemed to start if I imported video before starting to do a live show?

ryan

Cineman
10-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Hi Ryan,

I am sorry about your problem, but more surprised by your post. If you have the Beta Patch, aren’t you under the legal restraints of a Non Disclosure Agreement to not mention that fact and discuss problems with it in a Public Forum? Surely there is some proper place for you to discuss, and work out, problems with something that is in Beta.

Nes Gurley

Paul Lara
10-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Actually, Nes, there is a Marketing Beta ongoing, that is free of NDA requirements of our core beta testers.

As for the issue, I've not seen that; can you tell me how often this happens...when it begins happening?

Cineman
10-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Sorry Ryan, and for misspelling your name. I fixed it. Nice feature of this forum, Paul. Often spend more time wishing that I could change what I said, than I spent saying it in the first Place.

I suppose Ryan, from what Paul said, that you could announce what build of TriCaster Beta (don't know if there is more than one) that you are running. There are likely others running same that could, at least, see if it is a NewTek problem or something else.

My first thought was as to if you were double clicking or such to get them onto the Overlay monitor (far right on switcher) first. But realized that if you are getting them after going through a shutdown, It can't be that. I'll try to help, if I can.

I'm not getting the problem, Paul.

Nes Gurley

ryanneves
10-19-2005, 04:59 PM
tcp5974.exe downloaded: 9/23/05

Problem happened once before the patch and then recently after the patch was applied.

I wish I was able to duplicate the problem, I will attempt to work at it. Simply put I booted the tricaster(with a DV Deck connected), went straight to capture footage once booted. Captured in 10 minutes of footage via DV, switched back to the live production to import the footage into the vcr, the DV footage was NOT in my media bin, so I re-captured it in through S-video. Went back into live mode and imported it in. Then I tested my Overlays "these were all part of my saved defaults" and they didn't work.

The overlay button and Lights on my VM seemed to react correctly but no overlay on the screen. I had just used the Tricaster the evening before in a live performance and they worked fine. So today I reset my configurations and everythings working again.

On another subject, has there been any problem about the VCR locking up when selecting multiple items to delete or clone?

Cineman
10-19-2005, 06:53 PM
tcp5974.exe downloaded: 9/23/05
That has been awhile, and there could be a later build, though I don’t think that is the problem.

Problem happened once before the patch and then recently after the patch was applied.
More reason to not think that it is patch connected. More reason to guess as below.

I wish I was able to duplicate the problem, I will attempt to work at it.
The one good thing about not being able to duplicate, is that it may have been so much of a quirk that it will not happen again. ;)

Simply put I booted the tricaster(with a DV Deck connected), went straight to capture footage once booted. Captured in 10 minutes of footage via DV, switched back to the live production to import the footage into the vcr, the DV footage was NOT in my media bin,
There was a time, way back, when shutting down the VT with DV connected and active, and later doing a restart with the deck turned off, would cause the switcher buttons to go belly up.

Are you sure that you had DV connected notice in capture before you started? Guess it would be impossible. Did you save your capture?

so I re-captured it in through S-video. Went back into live mode and imported it in. Then I tested my Overlays "these were all part of my saved defaults" and they didn't work.

The overlay button and Lights on my VM seemed to react correctly but no overlay on the screen.
The VM was the first thing that I suspected when I read this, reguardless of good lights.
But not sure that I have a good reason. I don’t have one, using keyboard shortcuts instead. The only time I tried using was doing dealer demos, an early one, right after TriCaster and the VM was released. That VM wouldn’t do smooth transitions, and wouldn’t advance the Overlays. Think that was fixed before shipping models.

If you have the problem again, hopefully not under the gun of live, try switching the sources and Templates with “a” and “s”, and stepping the overlays with the “Page Down” key. (Right, Paul?)

Maybe someone using a VM has had the problem and will join in.

I had just used the Tricaster the evening before in a live performance and they worked fine. So today I reset my configurations and everythings working again.
Reset Configs can cure about a gillion ills, but leaves no idea as to how to track the problem. I generally consider it the “tilt/overload” fixer.

On another subject, has there been any problem about the VCR locking up when selecting multiple items to delete or clone?
Have never experienced the problem. Done a bunch of batch deleting clips today. Just cloned individual clips and transitions in VCR. Don’t know if I have ever batch cloned clips. Doesn’t have a right ring as to something I would do. Let me see if I can hang mine that way and get right back.

Nope. No problem, but I don’t have your build on mine.

Nes

kmnetterville
10-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I was reading all the threads. Now I have a question....

Just got my Tricaster a week ago. Still waiting on my DV decks to arrive. Am I understanding that there may be an actual proper "power up" "power down" sequence that may need to be followed, if a dv device is plugged in, to alleviate problems?? Should the device be "on" or "off". Just trying to get a jump on a possible glitch if I know ahead of time. Thanks all.

KM Netterville
BCS-tv

Tarheel Cougar
10-26-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't know if this is relevant, and certainly its not a Tricaster specific problem because it first happened to us using the same DSR 25 with a laptop and a desktop, swapping back and forth. But depending on what DV deck you have, if you have a Sony DSR25/45, make sure to read the manual about when to plug a DV connection in! Apparently we've fried 2 DV-in jacks :cursin: learning this the hard way. Chapter 1 of the DSR-25 manual (imagine looking there) has this small warning about connecting to DV jacks:

If the unit is connected to a device equipped with a 6-pin DV jack, when you intend to disconnect or reconnect the DV cable, turn off the device and pull out the plug of its power cord from the AC outlet beforehand. If you connect or disconnect the DV cable while the device is connected to the AC outlet, high voltage current (8-40v) is output from the DV jack of the device to this unit, which may cause a malfunction. When connecting a device with a 6-pin DV cable to this unit, first connect the plug of the cable to the 6-pin DV jack.

So if you are moving the deck around, or using the 6-pin DV jack, beware!

I was reading all the threads. Now I have a question....

Just got my Tricaster a week ago. Still waiting on my DV decks to arrive. Am I understanding that there may be an actual proper "power up" "power down" sequence that may need to be followed, if a dv device is plugged in, to alleviate problems?? Should the device be "on" or "off". Just trying to get a jump on a possible glitch if I know ahead of time. Thanks all.

KM Netterville
BCS-tv

kmnetterville
10-26-2005, 05:17 PM
well so much for Sony...that's pretty tacky...not to mention bad design.

Now back to overlay problems.....I just installed the new patch.

Now it appears that when importing graphics for overlays (like a lower left/right bug) it no longer accepts gif files! Is it just me...or is this a trueism!! Alot of pre-done graphics i usually use are mastered as gif. At least by the time I get them they are gif. And if this is the case....why eliminate gif files?? Thanks to all who may shed light on this mality.

KM Netterville
BCS-tv

Paul Lara
10-27-2005, 10:14 AM
...it no longer accepts gif files!

Could you e-mail me ([email protected]) one of those files?
I'll have testing try it out here.