PDA

View Full Version : Changing the colour of points

Simercer
10-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Hi, im new to Lightwave and this form,, i know this is a basic Q but annoying if you dont know how, so how do you change the colour of the points in 8.3 from White which mine are now to something diffrent ??

Thanks Si

MonroePoteet
10-18-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure what context you're talking about. Some possibilities are points displayed in the Modeler interface, points displayed in the Layout interface, the per-point color in a Color Map, colors of one-point polygons or Partigons in rendered output.

If it's for rendered output (pressing F9), a good start for changing the colors of things is the Surface Editor (shortcut F5).

mTp

Simercer
10-18-2005, 02:39 PM
by points i mean vertices in the modeler, as their white and hard to see against a scaned image in the background.

Orimar
10-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi Simercer:

Welcome. Try using the "Brightness" and "Contrast" controls in the "Display Options" panel (press "d" or Edit > Display Options) under the "Background" tab for whatever view port. Tweaking these sliders, adjusting "Image Resolution" and sometimes checking "Pixel Blending" and/or "Invert" has helped me often when there wasn't enough contrast between the backdrop image and the vertices.

Good luck and have fun.

.O.

Surrealist.
10-18-2005, 04:18 PM
There is one other thing you can try too dependending on the situation - how complex the object.

You can turn on "simple wireframe points" in the display options panel in the interface tab and adjust the size which can help visability too.

WizCraker
10-18-2005, 04:36 PM
this would be an excellent feature request. Sometimes even after playing with contrast and brightness I just can't see the vertex. It would be cool if we could change the color for the vertex to whatever we want kind of like the wireframe color.

Surrealist.
10-18-2005, 07:10 PM
I think that's comming up in 9.

Silkrooster
10-18-2005, 07:52 PM
by points i mean vertices in the modeler, as their white and hard to see against a scaned image in the background.
Hey guys, I think you all miss read the post above.
The vertex color in modeler can be changed just go to DETAIL>POLYGONS>SKETCH COLOR This will change all objects if nothing is selected or just those selected.
You can also open the display options and set the default sketch color, anything created after this is set will be in the new color.
Hope this is what you were looking for.
Silk

Surrealist.
10-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Hey guys, I think you all miss read the post above.
The vertex color in modeler can be changed just go to DETAIL>POLYGONS>SKETCH COLOR This will change all objects if nothing is selected or just those selected.
You can also open the display options and set the default sketch color, anything created after this is set will be in the new color.
Hope this is what you were looking for.
Silk

I think by vertices he means points not the edges though, right?

Silkrooster
10-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Technically a vertex is the edge.
Silk

Silkrooster
10-18-2005, 11:48 PM
I keep reading his post and now I am not sure. Perhaps he could clarify. The points in the corners of the polygon or the vertices (edges) of the polygon.
Silk

Surrealist.
10-19-2005, 02:22 AM
Technically a vertex is the edge.
Silk

Oh OK. I was going off of this from the 3D Glossary:

V (Vertex) Maps V Maps is an abbreviation for vertex maps. V Maps provide additional information
associated with object points (vertices), like weight, UV and morph maps.

And if you look in a standard dictonary it cooborates my story. :)

Silkrooster
10-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Interesting, I don't even recall where I got the info from any more. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Silk

Surrealist.
10-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Interesting, I don't even recall where I got the info from any more. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Silk

You won't find it 'cause the info doesn't exist. :D

just playin'.

But seriously if you do look in a standard english dictonary you'll find that it maches the 3D definition pretty well in that it is the point where lines connect. I can kind of see where you are going though, I mean the edge is a series of "points" where the lines are connecting

Now when we get true hard edges in sub d then maybe we can change the definition. :)

Anyway, enough semantics. Would definately be interested if you can find that source.

cheers,

Silkrooster
10-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Lol, Yeah I need to find the info. I hate it when I can't find it. Cause, I start doubting my self. That's not good. :devil: Any who, I start looking around.
Silk

DragonFist
10-20-2005, 12:52 AM
In the meantime, you can try using a lowres background image as a background sized to fill everything in all viewports. This will give some contrast to the points and edges.

You'll have to disable it when you have a object in the background but might help otherwise.

Silkrooster
10-20-2005, 02:07 AM
Well, I can't find it. So I am going to assuming I miss read the article. I checked several sources and they all confirm Surrealist. A vertex is a point where two sides of a polygon meet. So I guess I need to correct my wiki.
Allways learning. yep.
Chat with ya later,
Silk

grahamfro
10-21-2005, 10:52 AM
I've been looking for the same thing. I came over from Cinema 4D where the points are red, selected points are bright orange, and edges are light blue, so it doesn't make sense to me to have white points and white edges on a light gray background.

One thing I did find that may help if you ever do any rigging in layout. Since the default bones are blue and the default wireframe is blue, you may want to change one or the other. In Layout go to the scene editor, click the options button, and select the items tab. You can change these colors, but the changes don't take effect right away. You must exit and start Layout over again.