PDA

View Full Version : .mot files?

ViolentCaustics
10-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Can anyone please point me to a document or resource somewhere where I can learn more about .mot files and using them in Lightwave? I have found nothing in the documentation in the Lightwave help file and I can't find anything on Newtek's site. I've seen reference's to .mot files with things such as the motion path clone tool but that's not useful to me because I want to know what the syntax of the .mot file is so I can write a program to generate my own .mot files.

Thanks!
:lwicon:

MonroePoteet
10-18-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the same syntax as the ObjectMotion section of a Scene file, but with an LWMO and version header (first two lines). The Scene file format is described in the SDK documentation. Look at examples of MOT files output by LW for examples, of course.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/developer/LW80/8lwsdk/docs/index.html

mTp

ViolentCaustics
10-20-2005, 08:55 AM
thanks man, I think that about cleared things up. I'd still like to know if their is a way to put comments in your motion files, though. maybe a '#' or a '//' at the beginning of the line.

MonroePoteet
10-20-2005, 09:53 AM
The RIG file format says two asterisks ("**") to start comment lines, but my quick experiments seem to show that the parser for MOT and LWS files ignores pretty much ANYTHING it doesn't understand. My test MOT file worked inserted comment lines starting with *, !, #, and @.

I didn't find any official documentation, though. I'd suggest using the two asterisks.

mTp