PDA

View Full Version : Simple enough question (I think)

jbarker
10-18-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm modeling an office building and have modeled a secretary desk, computer, chair, etc. I have applied textures to most of the models. What I want to do is copy the model and place the copies at various locations around the office. The problem is that when I copy the models then move them to where I need them the textures go crazy - based on the originals settings. Is there a way to copy the textures along with the models and have them "locked" into position so that I don't have to resize and reposition the textures for each of the copied objects?

Thanks in advance.

Dodgy
10-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Read up on UV mapping in the manual.

starbase1
10-18-2005, 09:11 AM
A little more info on the problem would help a lot...

I am guessing that you want the stuff to look the same, but it doesn't, possibly because the furniture is not square on to the axes.

I suggest checking if you have 'global coordinates' selected in the textures, if so try turning it off. If that's not the problem, try posting an image...

Nick

jbarker
10-18-2005, 10:04 AM
I've attached a quick screenshot. The desk in the foreground is the original object with some textures applied. I made a copy and just moved the copy to the background for comparison. Notice how the textures are off in the copied desk. I'm guessing the first reply is right and I'll have to dabble with UV texturing. I was just hoping for a quicker solution.

Thanks again.

Captain Obvious
10-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Are you copying the items in Modeler or in Layout? I usually prefer to set up objects in Layout, because if you want to change all the chairs, you just change one chair and they all follow. There are also less issues like this, I think.

jbarker
10-18-2005, 10:15 AM
I've been copying from modeler. I just copied in setup and the textures remained intact. Thanks!