PDA

View Full Version : Background Image question

peter66
10-18-2005, 02:59 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a fast way of setting up a large background image so that I can move the camera around while the image stays static?

I know I could stick a big plane up with image surface but it takes a few mins to setup, turn off shadows and stuff. I'm guessing I'm asking for something that doesn't exist but maybe someone knows something I don't?

cheers
Pete

Karmacop
10-18-2005, 03:40 AM
There's no way to do that as far as I know. I'm not even sure how that'd work ... :stumped:

peter66
10-18-2005, 05:54 AM
I guess LW would have to be clever enough to take into account all the camera settings on every frame and to resize the "virtual plane" so that it could be seen at all times. Lol, not worth it.

New topic, I always crash LW if I'm tweaking hypervoxels with viper on and I click "stretch by velocity"... either its a bug or it's simply too much for the CPU to handle when there's 10,000 particles (haven't tried any fewer). P4 3.4Ghz 4GB RAM btw

BeeVee
10-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Not quite sure I've understood what you want to do, but what's wrong with parenting the aforementioned large polygon to the camera? If you turn its luminosity up to 100% it shouldn't be affected by the scene's lighting (or you can exclude it from being lit).

B

Karmacop
10-18-2005, 08:25 AM
I guess LW would have to be clever enough to take into account all the camera settings on every frame and to resize the "virtual plane" so that it could be seen at all times. Lol, not worth it.

That's not the problem. A background image takes up the whole background, so if you could do what you want, what will fill the area where the background image isn't? It sounds as if you don't want to use the background for this, you really should use a plane floating in space with a texture on it :)

New topic, I always crash LW if I'm tweaking hypervoxels with viper on and I click "stretch by velocity"... either its a bug or it's simply too much for the CPU to handle when there's 10,000 particles (haven't tried any fewer). P4 3.4Ghz 4GB RAM btw

It works for me, even with that number of particles I think. Maybe try less particles and see if it still crashes, it could be something else.

peter66
10-18-2005, 10:08 AM
It seems that the "Stretch Direction: Velocity" is monumentally CPU intensive! I tried without Viper (to avoid a crash) to just do a test render and it was gonna take forever.

peter66
10-18-2005, 10:11 AM
It's also a case of 5% Stretch Amount is a lot less CPU intensive than 105%. So I'm not sure where the "thinking" is involved, it's not in figuring out which way each hypervoxel needs to be stretching. But still, I guess it makes sense in some slightly unexplainable way :)