PDA

View Full Version : I have a weight problem..pls read

smmuck
10-17-2005, 07:59 PM
I have another question for u guys. I am weight mapping an object and evey time i apply the uv to weight tab shift value of 0 and scale value of 100 the uv appears as a gradient horizonally across my object. I need it to be a vertical gradient. can u help?
thanx
sm :D

smmuck
10-17-2005, 08:32 PM
i figured it out :D

Hoopti
10-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Just in case there are others with the same problem, you may want to post the solution here so others can find it as well when they do a search.

Just a request since this is a "help" based forum.

Hoop

smmuck
10-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Im not sure how i fixed it. If someone else comes across this problem change one of your viewports to the UV texture window (this is in the top,left,right,perspective.....ect pulldown) that will show your weightmapped object. Based on how that model is placed in that UV texture window the weight map will affect it differently. The shift and scale values begin at the U axis and V axis and move out. So if your object is not set on that window properly it will not apply the weight map correctly. My problem is that I do not know how to change the way the object is placed in that window. If you know how to do that then the rest of what I said should be useful. I just did it over and over again and one time it worked but now it doesnt. I dont know? :screwy:

ercaxus
10-18-2005, 07:52 PM
uv to weight plugin should ask you what direction (u or v) you want the gradient weight map to be created.

smmuck
10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
yeah I know about that option, but as an example let say you are mapping a spring. In the uv texture window the my spring appears like a top view. so when you apply the weight map, regardless from u or v it will weight map from the left side to the rigt side or from the front to the back, instead of from top to bottom. so when you move the object with the falloff being the weight map it streches the spring from side to side instead of from top to bottom.
I hope that makes sense Im not the best at explaing stuff
thanx sm :bowdown:

ercaxus
10-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Could it be that there's someone on this planet who's as bad as me at UV mapping? :lol:

Silkrooster
10-19-2005, 12:02 AM
yeah I know about that option, but as an example let say you are mapping a spring. In the uv texture window the my spring appears like a top view. so when you apply the weight map, regardless from u or v it will weight map from the left side to the rigt side or from the front to the back, instead of from top to bottom. so when you move the object with the falloff being the weight map it streches the spring from side to side instead of from top to bottom.
I hope that makes sense Im not the best at explaing stuff
thanx sm :bowdown:
I think the difference is the type of uv map you create. a planar map will do like you say, however cylindrical map will create a uv map that wraps the spring.
I tried something a little different. I created a disc applied a uv map to that then I lathed the spring, which I beleive created a new uv map. This map looks like a long string. Changing this to a weight map make one end move and the other stay still when using the move tool and a weight map fall off.
Silk

Silkrooster
10-19-2005, 12:10 AM
OK, I found out that the uv map must be created before it is lathed. If you create a uv map from a lathed spring it shears or tears apart.
When you create the uv map before being lathed, the uv map looks like a 2 point poly chain, each section is a loop on the object.
Hope this all makes sense.
Silk

Silkrooster
10-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Well, I just found something else out. The type of uv map you end up with depends on the type you use on the disc. A planar map will fill the uv map when lathed. The cylindrical map creates the 2 point string, which is I think is easier to select.
Silk

Silkrooster
10-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Well as they say there is always more than one way to accomplish the same thing in LW.
Lets say the spring is already made. go to MAP>COLOR>TEXTURED POINT Select the axis the spring is following, select weight map, give the map a name, click texture, set projection to cylindrical, load image, auto size.
Now it should work
Silk

Hoopti
10-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Could it be that there's someone on this planet who's as bad as me at UV mapping? :lol:

<<<<Hoop raises his hand>>>>

ercaxus
10-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Sorry Hoopti but I really dont think that you can even come close to my (non)skills in uv mapping. I don't understand the reason behind the process of getting a map and exposing it to ultra-violet light in the first place.
Actually now when I think about it I think I know why we missed the state of PA while going to phily for a concert, we didn't uv map our map. A nice lady (at one of those places you stop to eat and girls go to the bathroom) told us we had almost past Maryland so we had to go back. I gotta look at some tutorials before next time I go somewhere.

newsvixen8
10-20-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm not surprised you missed Philly, ercaxus.. when traveling north from Maryland and arriving in Pennsylvania, the big green road-signs will tell you how far it is to New York City. No mention of Philadelphia. I guess being the sixth largest city in the country just doesn't rate next to the Big Apple.

ercaxus
10-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Actually we were coming from New York. We were just whole bunch of dumb people in a car. :screwy:
I was the least dumb one though. I figured out that we were lost, just by looking at signs on the road, can you imagine :D