PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of reporting bugs?

nikturnal
10-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Hey Chuck,

Just out of curiosity, when bugs get posted on these forums does it help the dev team? I only ask because some have been posted repeatidly since 8.0 came out and it seems most of them mirror from 8.0-8.3-8.5-9? Is it a question of Stability vs New Features. It just seems like one step forward, two steps back.

Chuck
10-17-2005, 03:05 PM
The dev team review them directly sometimes, and have used our beta group to go through the Bug Workshop threads and confirm bugs and add them to the dev team's bug database. Each update since 8.0.1 has listed the bugs fixed in each release. A considerable number of Mac-specific issues have been addressed in each of these releases, and our research with the userbase indicates that the general user experience on both platforms is that each release has been a step forward in terms of improved stability. There are some specific issues that have made it through the 8.x cycle without being addressed, but please rest assured that the team is making every effort to address as many of these issues as possible for v9.0.

Dodgy
10-17-2005, 03:08 PM
They do read the threads, and do get bugs fixed, but it helps a lot if a uder can post an example scene which is really simple (like a cube :) ) for the programmers to test with. Those bug reports I imagine will get fixed a lot faster than a vague 'I'm getting a crash with a large scene'. Not to say they aren't finding memory leaks but example scenes really do help a lot :)

nikturnal
10-18-2005, 10:17 AM
I only ask because Newtek has a tutorial on the LScript Commander which has been broken since version 8 was released. When the Script Commander window is open the viewports wont update until you close the window. It seems like this would be at the top of the priority list. Or I would think the tutorial would be removed until it gets fixed. Is this just a problem with the Mac version? I've looked around on the forum and don't see anyone posting problems with it. I know I'm not the only one trying to using it. Or am I?

Dodgy
10-18-2005, 10:29 AM
I've never had a problem with LScommander, but I'm using it under windows..

mattclary
10-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Chuck, what method does Newtek PREFER to use to report bugs? Should we e-mail the issue to tech support or post on the forum?

nikturnal
10-18-2005, 03:07 PM
I posted this problem in the mac section a while back and I got one response from someone that confirmed it was still broken after the 8.2 release. He was the only one that responded so I guess not a lot of mac users use the Commander. Maybe since its working on the pc side they figured it was a small number of mac users being put out and decided it wasn't a big deal.

Jockomo
10-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Chuck, what method does Newtek PREFER to use to report bugs? Should we e-mail the issue to tech support or post on the forum?

IMO It makes the most sense to post them to the bugs thread in the fourms.

A bug emailed to newtek and confirmed by newtek in an email does no good to the next poor guy fighting the bug. If the bugs are reported in this forum and confirmed in this forum- and workarounds posted in this forum it will allow those who are not afraid of the search function to find the information when they need it- be that 3:30 am or on the weekend.

If you send the info through email, then everyone who runs across the bug will have to email newtek and wait for a reply. This will only waste precious time for our already short handed Lightwave team.

toby
10-18-2005, 03:40 PM
I posted this problem in the mac section a while back and I got one response from someone that confirmed it was still broken after the 8.2 release. He was the only one that responded so I guess not a lot of mac users use the Commander. Maybe since its working on the pc side they figured it was a small number of mac users being put out and decided it wasn't a big deal.
I'm pretty sure it's working for me, I'll check it again when I get home. As far as I can tell, hardly anyone uses it on either platform.

nikturnal
10-18-2005, 04:42 PM
It would be nice if Newtek could confirm this is a bug on the mac side and not my configuration. Chuck, could you have someone try the tutorial on the LSCommander on a mac? The one with the coconut tree. Definately let me know Toby. If its working then there is something wrong with my configuration. I still have 7.5 loaded on my machine and it works in that version. Is there some way I can swop out the Commander with the one that works. Kind of like how when they broke the .eps loader you could use the one from the previous version. Its nice to be able to clone things and move them with one click. Man if this isn't a bug, there has to be something done by Newtek to confirm these things. :help:

toby
10-19-2005, 12:01 AM
:eek: you're right! I completely forgot about this! The interface locks up or doesn't refresh with the Lscript Commander window open. I think this one is in the bug report thread already, but it's worth a look. I'm running 8.2, don't know about other versons.

Chuck
10-19-2005, 10:38 AM

We don't have a preference, but if the user has time to do both it can be useful both to the dev team and the community. Email to tech support will result in tech testing and confirming the bug and getting it to the team immediately; but as mentioned, posting here also allows the community to test and confirm and possibly develop workarounds, in a searchable public format. When the team or beta testers review the thread at periodic intervals, then the confirmed bugs would be added to our database.

Email to the lwbugs (at) newtek.com address goes straight to our bug wrangler for the dev team, and will draw a reply that lets you know if the bug is already reported, new, or can't be confirmed - essentially a similar result to emailing tech support.

mattclary
10-21-2005, 09:14 AM
We don't have a preference, but if the user has time to do both it can be useful both to the dev team and the community. Email to tech support will result in tech testing and confirming the bug and getting it to the team immediately; but as mentioned, posting here also allows the community to test and confirm and possibly develop workarounds, in a searchable public format. When the team or beta testers review the thread at periodic intervals, then the confirmed bugs would be added to our database.

Email to the lwbugs (at) newtek.com address goes straight to our bug wrangler for the dev team, and will draw a reply that lets you know if the bug is already reported, new, or can't be confirmed - essentially a similar result to emailing tech support.

Awesome, sounds like a plan.

monovich
10-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Can anyone confirm that many of the file saving formats on the Mac version don't work? I can't get RLA or SGI 64 to work from the render outputs. RLA and RPF work fine out of the Image Procsessing tab, but not from the standard "save as image sequence" dialog box.

I render almost always with FPrime, so the Image Processing tabs aren't much use under normal conditions.

I need ONE good 16 or 32 bit format that works cross-platform that can also save alpha channels. (Cineon and HDR can't).

I'm importing all the sequences into AE, by the way.