PDA

View Full Version : animating through a pipe

fab
05-06-2003, 06:22 AM
i have created a metal pipe, with a piece of copper wire running through the middle and have to animate the camera going through this pipe, following the copper wire. i cant seem to light the inside of the pipe very well (or even make the wire and the pipe look like metals...) does anyone have some advice? thanks, fab

mattclary
05-06-2003, 06:25 AM
Parent a light to your camera.

fab
05-06-2003, 06:30 AM
i did that already, but it doesnt seem to light up enough. i have tried using a spot light and an area light, but i am new to the lighting game so am not really sure what is best. once the camera is completely inside the pipe the light gets really dull and the colors become flat. do you think it could be my camera set up also? cheers

mattclary
05-06-2003, 06:37 AM
I wouldn't use an area light, if you use a spot light, I would crank up the cone angle so it was really wide. I think I would try a point light. Have you tried increasing the light output? Sounds like it may be low. By default, lights start with a 50% intensity, go ahead and try 100%.

fab
05-06-2003, 07:57 AM
thanks, that light's better. was wondering if you could help me with my camera? sorry. i have included 2 pics. one shows the camera view, and the other shows where the camera is in relation to the pipe. how do i get the camera to not be so zoomed. i changed the zoom to 5.9 and the ap height is set to 1.0512 currently. if i make the zoom less i can no longer see the pipe, only the copper, it is weird.

fab
05-06-2003, 08:00 AM
here are the pics

fab
05-06-2003, 08:01 AM
pipe

fab
05-06-2003, 08:05 AM
camera

mattclary
05-06-2003, 08:11 AM
If the pipe disappears, lower your grid size. The disappearance should only affect your Open GL view, not the actual render, FYI.

fab
05-06-2003, 08:26 AM
i lowered the grid size but it doesnt seem to do much when the picture is still dodgy. this image shows my camera view on the RHside and the image through the viewer on the LHside. Do you know why this is happening? thanks for your help

mattclary
05-06-2003, 08:53 AM
Pretty freakin weird! Can you post or e-mail me the scene and objects? I'll take a look at it.

fab
05-06-2003, 09:23 AM
i can email them for sure. what is your address? i am using a mac, hopefully you can read the files.

mattclary
05-06-2003, 10:55 AM
You can look at my profile and e-mail me from there.

mattclary
05-07-2003, 07:45 AM
You had somehow loaded your objects twice. What was showing up in the render was the second set of objects. Not sure why it wasn't visible all the time... I emailed the corrected file back to you.

marvin
05-08-2003, 02:40 PM
fab,

the deal with the render looking different than your view is because of the camera clipping you get when you view through the perspective view (or any view for that matter). There is something in front of the camera that it's rendering. The point it actually renders from is the center of the camera, and not where the lens appears to be in the representation of the camera. I hope that made sense!

As far as the lighting, metal issue, it looks like your pipe and copper are simply not textured correctly. For a shortcut, or a hint on how to texture them, click on the presets tab and use one of those to texture.

Also make sure that under render options, you have rendering reflections checked on. Do a test render, of course.

marvin

mattclary
05-09-2003, 06:40 AM
Actually, when I opened his scene, the other geometry wasn't visible until you opened the properties panel and selected it. Then all of a sudden, POOF, you had these extra objects showing up that weren't there. I don't mean in the camera view, I mean any of the orthos. Turned on wireframe display and everything, but didn't show up until selected. It was quite odd...

marvin
05-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Okay. You got me. I want to say corrupt file or alien tampering, but...

I would like to take a look at the file also when I get some time, maybe I can help figure it out.

marvin