PDA

View Full Version : Recording and Live Streaming

r3z
10-17-2005, 10:47 AM
I have just purchased a Tricaster for my church and we are setting it up I am going to have 3 cameras a pc via iVGA and a projector out.

We are wanting to do live streaming of the mornings service but we also want to record for coming back to edit for DVD production. I am looking into the nNovia A2D recorder to come out of the tricaster with S-Video and RCA audio to the A2D. Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as direct to disk recording or a preferred method of recording. I am fairly new to the Live production end of things and I am willing to take any help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony Barnett

JumboCast
10-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Hi Anthony,

We ran into the same issue for our live sports webcasts (wanting to stream live AND capture high-quality -- imagine my chagrin when I realized what I really wanted was a full-blown VT[4] system! :D ).

In my mind, you can go either one of two ways -- capture high-quality video on the TriCaster and stream with an external device, or the other way around. In our case, since we already had the infrastructure (e.g., a laptop/docking station/video capture card rig) to stream externally, we continued to do that (which also was good for us, considering that we had streamed in RealMedia format for the past three-and-a-half years, and could continue to do so!), and recorded the output (um, that is, when we remembered to hit 'Record Output' before the webcast started!).

However, I also bought a A2D, and it's really a nifty little device that would work exactly as you described, and then you can prepare the clips for external access and transfer them via FireWire. (BTW, definitely check eBay for an A2D, especially if you can wait.) It's now our instant replay device (into Cam3 since we only do two-camera shoots).

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck with everything.

Steve Clay
JumboCast
www.jumbocast.com

CVC
10-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi Anthony,

We have the same issues. My recommendation is to use the Tricaster for broadcast quality capture. Then use a separate device to do the streaming. You can pick up a brand new Dell desktop for under $500 pretty much any day of the week and add a $100-150 capture card to do the live webcast. I'm not really sure what that a2d box costs, but having an extra computer that is versatile is much better than a black box (IMO). Plus, with the dedicated computer you could do other things such as stream QuickTime, Real, Shoutcast, Flash, or others in addition to Windows Media. Although, in my opinion Windows Media is the only thing that makes sense.

Good Luck,

Brad Giotes
Christian Video Channel (http://www.christianvideochannel.com)

One more thing...we have some tutorials on our site about live webcasting with the Tricaster under the "support" tab.

r3z
11-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Thanks for your replies. I might just get another PC and dedicate it to encoding for the stream.

Thanks