PDA

View Full Version : Ireland users, are you out there?

Lude
10-17-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi guys just a quick shout out to users in Ireland.

If you’re out there drop a post in here so we can find out how may of us there are.

Maybe we could get a user group going :question:

Paul_Boland
10-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, here's one :thumbsup: .

Lude
10-18-2005, 03:42 AM
cool 2 of us so far :rock:
:lol:

Captain Obvious
10-18-2005, 03:53 AM
I rather like Guinness. Does that count?

Lude
10-21-2005, 04:42 AM
So let’s see after 5 days we have 2 Irish and one ex-pat wannabe, oh wait a tumble weed just blew by lol.

Oh my, this wouldn't be an obvious :bump: would it :rolleyes:

digefxgrp
10-22-2005, 01:05 AM
I had three bowls of Lucky Charms this morning for breakfast so that's gotta make me kinda Irish.

Glendalough
10-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Remember someone wrote into this forum about 2 summers ago from Ireland. Something about a rendering of a house. The dim (Irish) light was commented on...

Anyway, you can count another, 3 now...

www.theoilcans.com

Lude
10-22-2005, 07:08 AM
yeah i think that was me lol

phil lawson
10-22-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm from Belfast (while at home) and Derry (while at Uni). :D

Lude
10-22-2005, 11:23 AM
cool im in coleriane

bluerider
10-24-2005, 04:35 AM
Hi guys just a quick shout out to users in Ireland.

If you’re out there drop a post in here so we can find out how may of us there are.

Maybe we could get a user group going :question:

I didn't realise there were a few other LightWave Users in Ireland. A user group would be interesting. I know a few other users in Belfast and one in Newtownards!

I'm in Donaghadee, County Down :lwicon:

bluerider
10-24-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm from Belfast (while at home) and Derry (while at Uni). :D

I studied in Magee for 2 years doing product design :lol:

mattclary
10-24-2005, 08:42 AM
I also like Guiness. Actually so does my daughter, if that counts. ;)

bluerider
10-24-2005, 08:59 AM
I rather like Guinness. Does that count?

Cool profile image, so who cares. You get my vote, County Down will adopt you :thumbsup:

bluerider
10-24-2005, 09:06 AM
I also like Guiness. Actually so does my daughter, if that counts. ;)

All I can say is you are feeding that little girl in the picture, all the right nutrients like a good reponsible parent instead of all the MacDonalds Junk Food!

mattclary
10-24-2005, 10:56 AM
All I can say is you are feeding that little girl in the picture, all the right nutrients like a good reponsible parent instead of all the MacDonalds Junk Food!

:beerchug:

Egggggggsactly! ;)

phil lawson
10-25-2005, 07:13 AM
I studied in Magee for 2 years doing product design :lol:

Sweet! Its a good laugh up there, I like it alot better than home now. :)

bluerider
10-26-2005, 03:43 AM
I studied Product Design in Magee for two years a while back, not quite as far back as the Cretaceous period but far back enough.

It was a new course and my class was the "second" year of the courses existence. I did an HND there then jumped on to a B.A. in Art and Design at York Street.

Do they do any 3D animation stuff up in Magee. I asked what was going down a few years back on that score and wasn't left with an opinion that Magee was doing much on that particular front. Perhaps I was left with the wrong impression?

What type of work are you doing with LightWave and how long have you been a user :) .

Lude
10-26-2005, 04:00 AM
bluerider :heart: phil lawson :jester:

bluerider
10-26-2005, 05:45 AM
:thumbsup: What about your LightWave work Lude I would be real interested in what your doing and how you use LightWave. Does anyone have a website featuring stuff etc.

I think your idea about suggesting some sort of Irish user group is cool

phil lawson
10-26-2005, 07:24 AM
Yeah, there are a few courses with 3D in it now..but using 3dsmax and maya.

There are computer games courses and mine has all the 3D stuff next year (multimedia computers and design).

Matt
10-26-2005, 07:42 AM
We're working for Irish Rail at the moment, so techincal, that makes me Irish too! ;)

bluerider
10-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Yeah, there are a few courses with 3D in it now..but using 3dsmax and maya.

There are computer games courses and mine has all the 3D stuff next year (multimedia computers and design).

I think the reason why so many colleges use 3dsmax was because they probably got the software free.

I trained with that product for two years and felt the best way to approach that product was like a CAD user.

I used autocad for a while so had a vague understanding of how those crazy people think :neener: ( yep their's its autodest heritage). Unfortunatly not being an electrical engineer or Architect, it took me a bit of :stumped: to bumble my way through their product. I ditched it as soon as I bumped into LightWave about 7/ 8 years back :thumbsup:

Unfortunatly for students with Maya its the issue of getting projects done in time, plus theres alot of hyped philosophy about using the product.

I go with LightWave cos its quick, pure and simple. When the job is finished and you've done a good job know one should know what your using. However if its good what company cares. Unfortunatly Brand snobbery rears its ugly head with some companies :chicken: .

OK I'm ranting, "nursey pooh" coming with her medication now....bye all ( injection recieved, I feel coma coming on :devil: )

bluerider
10-26-2005, 09:17 AM
We're working for Irish Rail at the moment, so techincal, that makes me Irish too! ;)

Lol, so is it being technical that makes you Irish or something about railways ( yep, thank the Irish navies for Englands railways :D ).

I enjoyed reading about your write up on the NewTek Europe site.....bravo.

I love your Dirk the Daring pic with that cute princess, loved that game way back. Dragons Lair did not translate so well in 3D though.....yikes. Bluth and Goldmans work on the origonal is epic :) :bowdown: !

P.S. Matt,
How did you get the links on the bottom of each of your post that connects to your blurb for NewTek Europe!

Matt
10-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Not technical, meant to write technically!!!

To get links active you need to enclose the link with

[ url = http: / /www . yourlink . com ] Name to appear in text [ / url ]

but without the spaces.

Chuck
10-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Graham! Hello! :D

Sure miss you! When are you going to get back to the States for a visit and come and see us? All the folks at NewTek send greetings, and so does my family!

For those who may not know, Graham is a former NewTek employee and a former instructor at the Disney Animation School in Florida. At Disney, he attained the rare honor of being designated one of the very few people in the world officially authorized by Disney to draw Mickey Mouse. A marvelous artist and just great to talk with!

What are you working on these days?

Chuck
10-26-2005, 02:26 PM
BTW, I'm a Lafferty on my Mother's side, so I hope that at least puts me in the "honorary" camp for the purposes of this thread! :thumbsup:

bluerider
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
BTW, I'm a Lafferty on my Mother's side, so I hope that at least puts me in the "honorary" camp for the purposes of this thread! :thumbsup:

I wondered why you were such a decent bloke, its that quality Celtic blood in you.

Hey chuck, any chance to get over to visit San Antonio and I will. Thanks for you and your families kindness and hospitality when I visited just before the NewTek Christmas party in December of 2000 :santa: .

We would have to visit the restaurant with the Thai food, was that of Wurbacher street, or something like that. Oh that lovely spicey food makes my tummy rumble with delight just thinking about it :D

We would have to go with the bear wrestler as well, another good chap ( really, theres a chap who works for NewTek who wrestled a bear, I saw the evidence on video :dance: ).

bluerider
10-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Chuck quotes= What are you working on these days?
-------------------------------------

Needless to say there has been alot more hours of LightWave put in. I love the modelling aspect as always but the area I have started to enjoy is the UV mapping. I have used my painting skills to compliment the hyperbole I use in my design.

If I knew how to attach an image to this thread I would to show some examples.

I have a small display of LightWave work at the Armagh Theatre which shows examples of my texture mapping.

Armagh has a really good theatre built in a lovely old town square. For people who don't know Armagh has been the Ecclesiastical capital of Ireland for about 1500 years thanks to St. Patrick's "moment" around 432 AD.

Besides that, alot of painting and some illustration. I do a fair bit of training on LightWave but that is usually in London with agencies there. I do some consultancy as well, last time I did that in the USA was with IGT in Nevada, what a joint those LightWave chaps have to play in :cool: ?

DiscoBurgess
10-26-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm from Omagh, Co. Tyrone, myself. Living in England now, hope to move back one day. When they get good broadband coverage ;)

So, really, I don't count in this thread, do I? :(

bluerider
10-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I get Broadband in Donaghadee, its had it for about 14 months now.

2 megs bandwidth, better than nothing I suppose.

My website, it has some examples there, not recent ones unfortunatly? (http://www.grahamtoms.com/)

Go to gallery then 3D to find some LightWave sexamples.

Twisted_Pixel
10-31-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi all.

You can add me to the list of users in 'Ireland'.

Out of practice recently, but giving myself a kick back into it.

bluerider
10-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi all.

You can add me to the list of users in 'Ireland'.

Out of practice recently, but giving myself a kick back into it.

Where abouts in northern Ireland?

Nigel Baker
04-07-2006, 12:55 PM
I think I am Irish, just let me see.
Yip I am sure of that.
Hey Philip I did not realise you where Ireland ;-) how did that happen.

Sure I'm not sure meself.

omeone
04-10-2006, 01:24 AM
Tá mé i mo chónaí i mBaile Sláine

Am I the only one in the south? I'm even half Ulster, at that.

Twisted_Pixel
04-10-2006, 06:21 AM
Where abouts in northern Ireland?

Sorry i seemed to have missed your post before Bluerider.

To answer your question, its Co. Down in a small little place called Killinchy.

Glendalough
04-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Tá mé i mo chónaí i mBaile Sláine

Am I the only one in the south? I'm even half Ulster, at that.

Tá mé síos anseo freisin

I am down here also -via Minnesota- along time ago (fadó fadó).

www.theoilcans.com

Glendalough
04-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Southernmost Point in Ireland:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~bpowers/

What to do next here? How to improve. Most effect with minimum work???

Lude
04-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Coleraine almost the most northern point lol

Nigel Baker
04-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Hey Glendalough,

I have been working on a Lighthouse job just recently.
It is a piece of Video work. One of the lighthouse was fastnet.
An amazing structure.

I love the way the airplane can hang in the air in the video, like a Harrier Jumo Jet ;-)

Nigel Baker
04-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Woops

bluerider
04-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Sorry i seemed to have missed your post before Bluerider.

To answer your question, its Co. Down in a small little place called Killinchy.

I go through there to get to a place near Newcastle. I'm in Donaghadee, when I'm not away working that is. How did you bump into LightWave?

bluerider
04-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Coleraine almost the most northern point lol

That place would skin a cat in Summer with its northern winds.

oDDity
04-11-2006, 06:53 AM
I'm from Omagh, Co. Tyrone, myself. Living in England now, hope to move back one day. When they get good broadband coverage ;)

So, really, I don't count in this thread, do I? :(

Well, you can move back then, because Northern Ireland has had 100% broadband coverage for quite a while as far as I know. Certainly I know several people in rural areas with 2 meg broadband.
I'm from Magerafelt BTW, which is just about in the center of NI.

omeone
04-11-2006, 07:00 AM
nice work on your site oDDity :)

there's more of us around than I thought :thumbsup:

radams
04-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Well, thou I am back in the US...

My Great Grand Father was from County Cork... He became a engineer architect and world traveler...He even worked on the Panama Canal...(Stole the family cow to get his original passage on a boat to leave...thus still has a warrant for his arrest on the books...)

I was able to take a holiday a year ago in the ring of Kerry and some time in County Cork. Got out to the skelligs, etc... Look forward to heading up north the next time I'm there.
So any chance to be honorary ?

Hey Graham, it's nice to see you again...I only had the chance to meet you a couple of times at some of the trade shows. It would be nice to keep intouch... I had been doing some work over in Europe before having to come back to the US...to deal with a couple of personal matters...But I could have used your amazing talents a couple of times on some projects....

My skype name: radams6
[email protected] (personal email)

Cheers,

Lude
04-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Cool I’m from Magerafelt as well but been up here for about 8 years now.

Checked your site out, those are some shot hot characters you've made - wow.

R.Feeney
04-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I`m from Galway, our own version of the wild west

bluerider
04-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Well, thou I am back in the US...

My Great Grand Father was from County Cork... He became a engineer architect and world traveler...He even worked on the Panama Canal...(Stole the family cow to get his original passage on a boat to leave...thus still has a warrant for his arrest on the books...)

I was able to take a holiday a year ago in the ring of Kerry and some time in County Cork. Got out to the skelligs, etc... Look forward to heading up north the next time I'm there.
So any chance to be honorary ?

Hey Graham, it's nice to see you again...I only had the chance to meet you a couple of times at some of the trade shows. It would be nice to keep intouch... I had been doing some work over in Europe before having to come back to the US...to deal with a couple of personal matters...But I could have used your amazing talents a couple of times on some projects....

My skype name: radams6
[email protected] (personal email)

Cheers,

You had a nice holiday then, at the ring of Kerry did you get to see "Our ladies view" beautiful spot.

Did you visit Cobh near Cork City, magical place. I had a relative from there who tried to immigrate to the USA in 1912. Unfortunatly he picked the wrong ship to sail in. He had to immigrate for his misdemenours with the Royal Navy in Malta, if I see you at NAB i'll tell you the story in a bit more detail:D .

I've enjoyed reading your posts on the forum. I will drop you an Email.

If you visit the North when I'm there I will drive you round Strangford Lough my favorite place in the whole Island. I like to paint near a place called Ballyquintin bay. Its a place thats owned by the National Trust because of all the seals that bask there on the rocks:thumbsup: