PDA

View Full Version : Newb texture question

frostywd
10-17-2005, 12:58 AM
I doing a site layout for an office/town home center and I have a question about textures.

I have a building that is repeated throughout the site (about 12 times) with a simple pitched roof. The roof has two surfaces. To get the shingles to go the correct ways I have one texture along the x and another along the z. For the most part, they look fine for this initial image.

The problem is when I clone that building, move it around the site, and rotate into its proper position the textures are all messed up. Tell me that I don't have to give each building 2 surfaces and line each one up?

What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

Thanks

toby
10-17-2005, 01:41 AM
You're either moving the geomtery around in Modeler, and you should be doing that in Layout instead, or you have the texture set to 'world coordinates', which should be off -

frostywd
10-17-2005, 06:14 AM
Then this might be a work flow question then. The complete layout has 25 small and not so small buildings but there are only 4 real unique models. I've draw them all into one .lwo. I guess your saying that each building should be it's own model, imported into Layout and arranged there?

Thanks.

Lude
10-17-2005, 06:40 AM
I guess your saying that each building should be it's own model, imported into Layout and arranged there?

yes that's the way to do it if your not using uv mapping.

Lude
10-17-2005, 06:41 AM
A UV mapped model can be rotated moved etc in modeler and still have its texture look right.

But proceed on with the non UV mapped models as there a bit of a pane when it comes to repeating brick etc.

I use a combination of Planner, Cubic and UV mapping on my buildings, and still do my arrangement in layout.

frostywd
10-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Well, that certainly makes sense. It also allows me to make a change to the object and have it effect all same objects in Layout.

LOL - now that I think about it I was really doing things *** backwards.

Thanks.

frostywd
10-19-2005, 08:55 PM
One additional question ... I use the background image to place the buildings in Modeler but I don't see a way to place the image in the background (Top View) to arrange everything.

Is there a way to do this?

toby
10-20-2005, 12:42 AM
I think mapping that image to a polygon is the only way -

MonroePoteet
10-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Might add an alternate camera called PlacementCamera or something, point it straight down with pitch of 90 degrees, H,B=0 and Y some positive value big enough to see your desired grid area. Then use the Background Image (shortcut CTRL-F7) and Camera View Background (shortcut "d" towards the bottom of the page).

mTp