PDA

View Full Version : DELL workstation hanging LW

gsuttor
05-06-2003, 06:00 AM
I'm a LW 6.5 user (havn't upgraded or had the need)

I use LW 6.5 on a Dual P3 1ghz geforce4 and on other machines with with no issues.

We recently purchased Dell workstations with Quadro99XL cards and it hangs LW every time (99%) I do a cut/weld type operation.
I've tried many things from updating nvidia drivers, turning of the hub to banging my head against a wall but for some strange reason it doesnt change.. funny that.

Opening up the machine and speding hours pulling cards in/out is not an option! So the short question is?

Is LW & newer DELL machines hanging a common and known issue?

Cheers,
Geoff Suttor.

mattclary
05-06-2003, 06:17 AM
Whenever you buy a pre-built machine like a Dell or Compaq, it ships with a lot of extraneous crap that you don't need. Sometimes there will be some type of system monitoring software installed, that "helps" keep the system healthy. If you can find it, that's what I would start by removing. If you want to properly fix your system, you'll Fdisk the thing and install it with a basic OS rather than using the crap that Dell puts on their system restore disk.

mtvedten
05-06-2003, 09:14 AM
I have LW7.5 running on a Dell Precision 530 (Win2k, Xeon 1.5Gz, 256MB RAM) , and it runs fine.

Much better that the local PC-shops "home made" PC that i got at home.

mattclary
05-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Then they don't know what they're doing. :)

Aegis
05-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Have to jump to Dell's defense here - I've got a Dimension 8200 which came with XP Pro - yes, Dell do install a lot of surplus-to-requirements software but It's no big deal doing a re-install of XP to give you a nice clean PC. For LightWave use this machine has been a great performer, my only real problem being that I need more RAM (only got 512mb at the moment) and RDRAM is expensive...

I'd suggest flushing Windows and doing a re-install and making sure ALL your drivers are the latest versions available.

My spec is:

Dell Dimension 8200 - BIOS rev A09
Windows XP Pro SP1a
DirectX 9a
GeForce 4 Ti4200 - Detonator XP 42.51
512mb RDRAM
35gb Hard Disk
LightWave 3D 7.5b

blinblue
05-06-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by mtvedten
I have LW7.5 running on a Dell Precision 530 (Win2k, Xeon 1.5Gz, 256MB RAM) , and it runs fine.

Much better that the local PC-shops "home made" PC that i got at home.

Well, every computer that I have in my house (total of 5 usable at the moment) was home made (as in really home made). And they work like a dream, and almost as cheap as a dream, saving around $400-1000 per computer. And it does great for LW 7.5.
An AMD 2 GHz (I know, a little cheapy) 1 gig of RAM, 120 GB hard drive, ATI radeon 9000 pro (kicks *** for the price, I hope to get a fire GL or a wildcat soon). So I must defend home made computers, of course the "home made" (notice the quotes) may not be made with decent parts.
Anyway, like everyone else said, your problem (even though I haven't heard too many complaint about Dells) is that there is too much junk programs that came with the computer. Do a clean install (and make sure you video drivers are the latest) and it should work fine. When installing XP don't do the Upgrade from last version, do a completly new install.
Anyway, hope it works

Earl
05-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Dell is pretty pricey for a home machine, but for a work computer (on company budget) Dell workstations are great. At work I'm using a Dell Precision m50 mobile workstation, and LightWave runs beautifully on it.

P4 Xeon, 2.4GHz
1.0 GB DDR-RAM
Quadro4 700 GoGL
XP Pro

As someone else suggested, simply disable all the extra junk installed, or do a clean install yourself. I was fortunate: when my Dell arrived nothing had been installed except the OS. :cool:

Nakia
05-06-2003, 05:46 PM
Folks thinks that Workstation/Business PCs that Dell and HP/Compaq come loaded with all the extras has the poorly built Home user PCs
I will never buy a Home PC from HP but the Workstations are nice.
I bought a HP xw6000. It came with only OS install no other Apps.
Xeon 2.4 GHz, E7505 chipset
Nvidia Quadro 4 NVS
1.2 Gig Ram
and more
Never give me an issue with LW except some video (I got a 2D card instead of a 3D card, my fault)

gsuttor
05-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Dell Precision 350, 1GB RAM, pretty standard garb.

Are any of these machine's running QUADRO 900XGL and if so what nvidia drivers and driver settings (default?) are you usng.
Latest Dell ones or Nvidia? beta?

This hang is WAY to common (cut,paste,weld operations.. ahh but NOT always, somtimes on the 1st time, somethime on the 2nd or 3rd.

My next move is BLAT the Dell install as some say to do and install a fresh copy of W2k.

Thanks,
Geoff.

duderender
09-17-2003, 03:43 PM
I have a Dell M50, one of the original breeds and I just loaded LW 7.5c the other day and I find that LW keeps hanging. Usually just going through the interface.

Alas, I am stuck.

lone
09-22-2003, 06:46 PM
i've got a DIMENSION 8100 running WINME, and the only problem i've had was a crash when switching between full-screen views in MODELER. that cleared up when i replaced the GeForce2 MX200 with a GF4 ti4400. i stripped off all the junk programs the day it came in - they really should give you an option to decline that crap.

Red_Oddity
09-23-2003, 02:26 AM
We have a couple of HP 8000 series here with Quadro 980 cards...just toying about in Layout is enough to freeze the entire system (beyond booting with CTRL-ALT-DEL...)

Oh, and we run that piece of ****e OS, Windows XP Pro from Microsoft...

My guess is none of these companies really know what to install, so they just install EVERYTHING...prefably with drivers from over a year ago...

(I however can't do a reinstall as these are Avid Meridiens and are in use constantly...then again, i don't do 3D on those machines anyway.)