PDA

View Full Version : Is roll-back from 8.5 to 8.3 hard?

ned
10-16-2005, 05:44 AM
I have LightWave 8.3 installed on 12 computers in a school.

I was planning on upgrading to 8.5 this weekend but after seeing a lot of bug reports, am a little nervous.

How difficult is it to roll-back to 8.3 if 8.5 turns out to be too unreliable for a school environment?

coremi
10-16-2005, 07:30 AM
install one and if you think there is a lot of problems you'll have to reinstall only one machine. I find 8.5 pretty stable, bugs are more relatwed to openGL, you can live without it. I installed 8.5 over 8.3 with a lot of scripts and had no crash yet, but no heavy animation priject yet :).

hrgiger
10-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Well, if you're using Windows, you can use the system restore function under the help and support menu and this will undo the 8.5 installation. I used it to go back to 8.3 just for the purpose of some benchmark renders.

Lewis
10-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Why not have 8.3 and 8.5 in same time ????

I have 7.5c, 8.01, 8.2, 8.3 and 8.5 on my disk and they all work independently (even in same time if you want :)).

That way you can use all of new features while you can go back to "safe" version if you find soem bug that bothers your workflow.

Just install each one in it's own directory and make it's own configs folder (i.e c:\\Lightwave 85\configs) and point icon shortcut to that directory to save configs on it's folder instead to documentsand settings folder (default on windows).

If you don't know how to make that shortcut let me know and i'll post you brief instructions (i'm too tired now for long posts ;))

Panikos
10-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Well, having more than one installation is not bad.
Believe it or not, I have LW5.6, LW8.3, LW8.5.
(I have LW5.6 cause some plugins I like, do not work in later versions)
Hopefully LW9 will replace the LW8.* series.

But no LW6.* or LW7.* versions here :thumbsup:
One thing worth mentioning is that LW5.6 is almost perfect software,
the most stable and reliable release ever by :newtek: