PDA

View Full Version : LWSN.EXE under Wine 20050930 seems to work...

Riplakish
10-15-2005, 08:56 PM
I've seen (and asked) about running the Lightwave renderer under Wine before, as I have a stack of underutilized Unix systems laying around that I could use as render nodes.

I just wanted to report that I've installed Wine 20050930, and I appear to have LWSN running in -2 mode (-3 mode also seems to work) using Lightnet as my render controller on my Windows box.

Lightwave is an 8.5 upgrade from an 8.0 installation. No 3rd party plugins (stock).

If my initial stats are correct (I need to gather more), image write performance with LWSN sitting on wine with disk I/O occuring over NFS (vs. Samba) is ~15% faster.

The process I used, should anyone want to duplicate my efforts, is to install Wine, configure it (e.g. set up all the network drives you see on your Windows box), and run the wcmd.exe that comes with Wine to get a command prompt, and then run LWSN
with the typical parameters from the wcmd command prompt. You _should_ be able to run lwsn.exe directly from the command line, but I haven't yet worked out a few oddities I've seen with command line parsing.

If I run in to any bumps, I'll report.

WizCraker
10-16-2005, 04:34 AM
why use wine when there is a LINUX ScreamerNet Module already availble?

Riplakish
10-16-2005, 07:02 AM
1.) There are other Unix operating systems other than Linux (if you can believe it), and even the Linux Screamernet module requires particular flavors, versions, and libraries.

2.) Its clearly a second-rate module. For instance, there is no 8.5 update, and the last one I saw before 8.3 was back in the early 7.x releases.

3.) Being able to run the native Windows binary opens up the possibilities that 3rd party plugins will work with less difficulty than a different platform.

ercaxus
10-17-2005, 12:18 AM
I want to be able to use lightwave and amarok without emulation. I want a full linux version. :cry:

inquisitive
10-17-2005, 01:32 AM
Has anybody announced that there will be a newer linux version? I have three dual cpu linux machines.. i would hate to install windows

Celshader
10-17-2005, 09:57 AM
why use wine when there is a LINUX ScreamerNet Module already availble?

For what it's worth...a studio I worked at last year used Wine to run LightWave ScreamerNet on its Linux-based render farm. In that way, they could use Worley's Sasquatch plug-in on their Linux render farm. :boogiedow

Riplakish
10-17-2005, 05:23 PM
For what it's worth...a studio I worked at last year used Wine to run LightWave ScreamerNet on its Linux-based render farm. In that way, they could use Worley's Sasquatch plug-in on their Linux render farm. :boogiedow

Do you know of any headaches or issues that you can publically share? So far, it seems to work ok, but I haven't done a lot of complex (read: plugin) type work with it.

But I agree with the direction of the conversation. The Windows copy under Wine emulation is going to go a lot further (and do more) than a Red Hat package.

Celshader
10-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Do you know of any headaches or issues that you can publically share? So far, it seems to work ok, but I haven't done a lot of complex (read: plugin) type work with it.

I don't remember having troubles with plug-ins under Wine, but it's been a year since I used that Linux render farm. I remember that Sasquatch rendered fine, though.

I think I had more trouble understanding and using the studio's Linux render controller (I forget its name) than I did with Windows plug-ins under Wine.

Riplakish
10-17-2005, 06:51 PM
I haven't tried building an OS-specific render controller. To date, I just run Lightnet on my Windows workstation or laptop. Running it under wine produces just a black window.

This allows me to set up my 7-9 render nodes (depends on if I go with just the mini towers, or the laptops as well) at home with one box acting as my workstation/Lightnet controller in the background to dispatch jobs.

I'm not yet ready to shed Windows entirely, but one copy of Windows, Norton's, etc. is an awful lot less money than 9 copies :neener: