PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 10.4 problem

johnlassen
10-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I have been unable to run lightwave 8.5 on my newly purchased 2.7DP G5, w/ 2GB ram and a radeon 9800. I'm guessing this is an incompatability with Mac OS 10.4. To make matters worse, I can't seem to find any info on this problem.

The symptoms are as follows: Lightwave and Modeler icons expand when dbl clicked, but there is no launch. I can launch the hub however. On my first attempt, I installed and completed the registration, but was unable to run the apps. I've deleted the Lightwave folder and all related pref's and then reinstalled, but now the registration wizard won't run either so I can't even generate a license key. The problem seems to be snowballing.

I have e-mailed tech support but I don't expect I'll hear back till Monday. I the meantime I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

murdoch
10-15-2005, 06:41 PM
mmm... recently installed 8 and 8.5 upgrade on 2 machines running 10.4.2 with no problems at all as far as I can see. If you downloaded the files did you expand with Stuffit 8.02 or higher? Disable the hub by moving it from the programs folder?

johnlassen
10-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I actually installed from disc. Box vers. extra seat 8.5. I'll try disabling the hub per you suggestion, though I have always approached this by leaving the modeler and lightwave cmdline files blank. I'm also thinking there might be a dongle driver problem, based on my crash log.

Thanks for the quick reply murdoch, I'll let you know how it turns out.

johnlassen
10-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Still no luck. I even re-installed the OS, just grasping at straws now. Tried removing the hub, no difference. This should be plug and play darn it!

dmg3d
10-17-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm not gonna be any help here, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

I'm running 8.5 (a download - upgraded from 8.3) on a DP 1.42 G4 with 10.4.2 with no problems. With all the "re" installs of LW and OSX, what about trying a clean slate... a "clean" install (not just a re-install) of OSX and then LW. Also, what about the idea of a bad LW disc? What about memory? I had a problem with crashes at one time (using LW and Photoshop) which turned out to be a faulty memory chip. You could run the Hardware test CD to see if it finds any problems. The not even starting up part just sounds to me like something got corrupted in the LW files or a memory problem.

Good luck.

Dave

smmuck
10-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Hello sorry to hear about your problems. I am currently waiting for my brand new g5 with the same specs as yours to arrive (purchased less than 2 days ago) and I have a brand new version of lw8.3 in the box waiting to be installed, but now that i read this thread im a little scared. please keep me posted as to the outcome of your problem. If I come across anything that could help you once I start installing on my comp i will let ya know.
thanx
sm
[email protected] :D

mike_stening
10-18-2005, 06:43 AM
we had some similar problems with installing and running software (not lightwave though) on some of our macs. our problem turnout to be one of the updaters dint't install correctly and cuased a problem in the system that we couldn't fix, just reinstalling the systems didn't work either as a foot print seemed to have been left and was picked up in the new install. the only way we got it to work was by zeroing the drive and starting from scratch. then install the software before performing any sytem updates to check the software was ok. it all works now.
zeroing the drive can be a pain as it takes so long but if nothing else has worked then give that a go

gatz
10-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Instead of reinstalling systems, reformatting etc have you just tried creating an different user account? With OsX it's a good idea to have one for troubleshooting.

rg