PDA

View Full Version : Bauhaus Mirage - Awesome Sale!

Signal to Noise
10-15-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk on this. I was thinking about getting a 2D animation app after reading a thread in another forum venue on the subject. I almost went with ToonBoom until I saw the Mirage offer the other day. Tried the demo and the price is right so I jumped on the wagon. Check out the Crossgrade deal for LightWavers.

Bauhaus Mirage (http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/store_LP.php)

Offer ends Oct. 31.

cresshead
10-15-2005, 10:30 AM
hi had a quick look around and can't seem to find this info..

any help would be great as 31 october is coming up fast!

Question 1
I'm trying to find information on the website that tells me if mirage works on both mac and pc or you buy mac OR pc versions...
I have lightwave 8.0 and run it on both a mac mini and a dell pc workstation...

Question 2
also looking for a spec sheet for required hardware to run it...ie video card and ram etc...[mainly to seee if it will be okay on a mac mini

Question 3
video training on the software, is there any available?

:stumped:

T-Light
10-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Could be wrong here but isn't Mirage the updated version of Newtek's Aura Videopaint?

Don't know if it was originally sold for PC's and Mac's, but if it's any help I just went through the ordering process and there was no mention of seperate Mac or PC licenses.

Send them an email cress :)

ps I own Aura 1 (Freebie from a Newtek Demonstration a few years back). If I can find it I'll see if it is a dual license and post back.

cresshead
10-15-2005, 10:47 AM
yeah i sent over a email to them..though i'll not get a reply till monday probably...

my main concern is getting some video tutorials for it as i want to get up n running in it fast and someone showing it is the best way to learn.

i currently have combustion 2.0 on pc and a non used fusion+ [will probably never use it as it's 8 bit color based]

slightly off topic but will be interestig to see what newtek bunde next after VUE.... for lw 9.0 :santa:

Signal to Noise
10-15-2005, 11:21 AM
hi had a quick look around and can't seem to find this info..

any help would be great as 31 october is coming up fast!

Question 1
I'm trying to find information on the website that tells me if mirage works on both mac and pc or you buy mac OR pc versions...

I remember seeing the FAQ about dual-system operation. Same dongle but I think you'll need two separate licenses. Here's the FAQ. (http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/support_FAQ_a.php#anchor014)

Question 2
also looking for a spec sheet for required hardware to run it...ie video card and ram etc...[mainly to seee if it will be okay on a mac mini]

System specs here. (http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/support_systemrequirements.php)

Question 3

I'll have to look around. Maybe some are listed on their forum. UPDATE: here's some vid tut's posted on the Bauhaus site. At least it's a start...Videos. (http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/training_tutorials.php)

All in all hope this helps. Bauhaus will likely give you better info than I have. I think the majority of the answers can be found on their site if you take the time to poke around. But I think you are good to go! :thumbsup:

slightly off topic but will be interestig to see what newtek bunde next after VUE.... for lw 9.0 :santa:

Yeah, that's what's great about NewTek: a chance to get other cool stuff I'd probably never consider getting on it's own on the cheap. :)

CB_3D
10-15-2005, 11:49 AM
I had it as Aura on an Alpha a few years ago, and i remember how quick and realtime tyhe paintengine was. Much better than Photoshop´s.

ColinCohen
10-15-2005, 12:30 PM

I believe Chuck posted somewhere that there were unlikely to be bundles in the future due to the price drop.

In regards to Mirage, you should note that the site says they don't ship to Europe.

Jeff_G
10-15-2005, 12:39 PM
i currently have combustion 2.0 on pc and a non used fusion+ [will probably never use it as it's 8 bit color based]

I'm just curious why 8 bit color isn't good enough to use fusion+?

cresshead
10-15-2005, 01:07 PM
fusion + is fine but as i already have combustion 2.0 which has floating point colour so it's more suited for film and HD it would be a step backwards to use fusion+ for myself...

i've read good things about fusion so it's quite capable, surpose i'm lazy in that i already have a solution that i understand and can work with.

mirage intersts me in that it is a compositor and pixel painter and a 2d animation program...sort of like mixing after effects, corel painter and toon boom studio together....

i'll try the demo and see if its for me. :D

my main concern is the learning materials i'd want to get up and running with it quckly and be comfortable in the u.i. that's why i'd like video/dvd tutorials as i have limited time to read, understand, try and decrypt text based trainging...text based training can be quite frustrating compared to just watching someone 'do-it' on screen.

:agree:

don_culbertson
10-15-2005, 01:50 PM
In regards to Mirage, you should note that the site says they don't ship to Europe.

If you're in EU, you can get Mirage here:
http://www.tvpaint.com

Don

Qexit
10-15-2005, 03:27 PM
my main concern is the learning materials i'd want to get up and running with it quckly and be comfortable in the u.i. that's why i'd like video/dvd tutorials as i have limited time to read, understand, try and decrypt text based trainging...text based training can be quite frustrating compared to just watching someone 'do-it' on screen.

:agree:Have you taken a look at the video tutorials on th eBauhaus site ? All streaming video/downloadable tutorials :

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/training_tutorials.php

cresshead
10-15-2005, 04:01 PM
yeah!

just started to look thru them..most seem to be tool based but are pretty good!

would like some project based stuff too...
not looked at all of them yet though!

:thumbsup:

inquisitive
10-15-2005, 05:58 PM
I dont use Aura much, but maybe I would if i found some creative need. How will mirage help me in conjuction with LW? any tutorials outhere specifically made to show how both software programs can be used?

Medi8or
10-15-2005, 06:25 PM
If you're in EU, you can get Mirage here:
http://www.tvpaint.com

Yes... US price $395, European price €495, which translates to something like $600.
Lucky we're all filthy rich in europe...

don_culbertson
10-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Yes... US price $395, European price €495, which translates to something like $600.
Lucky we're all filthy rich in europe...

Don't shoot the messenger :)

Don

Snosrap
10-15-2005, 10:09 PM
I dont use Aura much, but maybe I would if i found some creative need. How will mirage help me in conjuction with LW? any tutorials outhere specifically made to show how both software programs can be used?

If I may ask what software app do you use to make animations with? If you are rendering .avi's or .mov's from LW you are missing out on a lot of possibilities. Aura and Aura 2.5 were pretty decent, but Mirage is a GREAT step forward. I wouldn't want to be without it. If you have any experiance with Brillance or Deluxe Paint from the Amiga days you'll feel right at home. If your a Photoshop guy then it might feel a little awkward at first. Download the demo and give it a trial run, I'll guarantee you one thing, you won't find a faster painting application out there. It runs circles around Photoshop, Corel Photopaint and others, if you have a Wacom tablet you'll be in heaven.

Cheers
Snos

Medi8or
10-16-2005, 06:04 AM
Don't shoot the messenger :)

No, no... Not my intention.

You see a good deal, feel your smile spread from ear to ear :D, put on your partyhat from last week :bday: , and dance around the room :boogiedow while friends and family look at you like, well... :screwy:
Then suddenly the nice company goes "You're not one of us!", or "US" that is, turns from :santa: into :devil: in a flash, and shows you an other deal :deal: ...
As a hobbyiest, without a fat wallet, I feel the US deal is one I could seriously consider, but the EU price is just a bit too high. So I just felt a bit disappointed :cry:..

Don't mind me, I'll just stand over here by the wall... :bangwall:

(a bit heavy on the smilies there.. won't happen again, I promise.. )

Dirk
10-16-2005, 06:25 AM
"J" for spare page ??? Sound like dpaint to me... ;-)

Anyway, what can be done with Mirage? can it handle HDTV footage? How long can a project be?

The Video Tutorials look great, but higher price in € isn't nice.

cresshead
10-16-2005, 09:32 AM
yet again, us poor improvrished artists in europe [uk included] get a pointy stick jabbed into our eyes cost wise ...autodesk store does this too...learning materials i wanted we're 3x the cost in the u.k. compared to the usa/canada webstore.... :thumbsdow

i don't mind paying a little more fo shipping out to europe but getting mugged means i'll not bother to look at the software...it's the principal of the thing common that europe people earn less and get charged more even in this age of worldwide internet stores seems some vendors want to punish us pricwaise just because they can.... :thumbsdow

deal...?.....what deal?

no deal
no dice
no way
no purchase :hey:

this yet again proves that newtek :newtek: is the exception rather than the rule

kudos to newtek :newtek: :lwicon:

MiniFireDragon
10-16-2005, 12:06 PM
I am probably one of the few buyers of Aura 2.5 (judging by how many people used the Aura Forum). I love the program, really, and use it alot. Looking at Mirage, it looks like the same interface with some added goodies and if I had the money I'd buy the app now.

the only problems I ever really had with Aura is when the lightwave hub was open and you shut down aura, it crashed. And the 2gb hard drive limit.

Actually the 2gb hard drive limit wasn't an Aura problem since i was using it on Win98, I just like blaming the problem on Aura (and the fact they probably could have integrated a file breaking scheme for us who were unwilling to move to a new OS). :)

don_culbertson
10-16-2005, 02:22 PM
No, no... Not my intention.[/SIZE]

The current US price for the LW crossgrade is a recent price reduction. Maybe someone could contact tvpaint and see if they also have a lower price for the crossgrade that is not showing up on their website.

I agree that the pricing differences between countries is a bit unreasonable in the day of the Internet.

Medi8or, you've been in the corner long enough :)

Don

Piolla
10-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Question 1

Question 2
also looking for a spec sheet for required hardware to run it...ie video card and ram etc...[mainly to seee if it will be okay on a mac mini

Question 3

:stumped:

1- Yes,Mirage is PC AND Mac compatible using the USB Dongle
2- I did some shots at 3500 x 3000 pxls and it runs smooth on a crappy old P4 1 Gig of RAM. Mac Mini should be OK if you don't espect to make a feature Film on it
3- There are some at their web site.

Cheers!

Waxtastic
10-18-2005, 07:30 AM
I emailed tvpaint and here is the reply.

Hi Matti

First you have to know that Bauhaus Softawre won't deliver any Mirage
in
Europe because they're not allowed to do so. This special deal is only
for the USA. The fact is that, even if they would do it, i think that
the shipping would be so important that this special offer wouldn't be
so special anymore.

However i truly understand it can be irritating for european who notice
these special offers so we can do this offer for you.

If you have a VAT number, your price will be 395€ + shipping
If you don't have anyone, your price will be 395€ + VAT (= 472,42€) +
Shipping

In this case, payment have to be made by wire tranfer and you will find
International Bank Account Number on this document <
http://www.tvpaint.fr/dl/BdC_en.pdf >.
You can also send us back this document fullfilled with your
information
to confirm your order and we will send your Mirage as soon as the
payment is made.

Kind Regards,

Safe Harbor
10-18-2005, 07:52 AM
For anyone who is interested in purchasing Mirage, check out our prices...

http://www.sharbor.com/vendors/BAU.html

hound312
10-18-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm selling my copy of Mirage to drum up some money for the Lightwave upgrade. If anyone is interested, make me an offer. I'm flexible.

David M
[email protected]

cresshead
10-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Q. does safehabour ship to the u.k.?

could rescue my plan to get mirage! :help:

:cat:

Dirk
10-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah, but is it 1.5? It looks as if its only Mirage 1.2...

cresshead
10-18-2005, 11:27 AM
yeah the full one off version is 1.5 in their store but if you have lightwave they list the 1.2 version....

it maybe a slip up on the website and you actually get 1.5

i need to send an email over there to see if they'll ship to the u.k. and if it's 1.5 not 1.2..........
how much is the point update anyway?...from 1.2 to 1.5....was it free?

Jim_C
10-18-2005, 11:28 AM
1.2 to 1.5a is a free upgrade.
If Safe Harbor really only does have 1.2, you just register it, download 1.5 demo from the Bauhaus site, then send your 1.2 info to Bauhaus and they send you 1.5 code to unlock the demo.

Jim

Safe Harbor
10-18-2005, 12:18 PM
We are shipping version 1.5. I just noticed the description on our site says 1.2, although the product name says 1.5. I'll have that fixed, sorry!

And yes, we ship to the UK, and just about everywhere else... :thumbsup:

KSTAR
10-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Mirage also has the ability to load in LW UV's as an unwrapped image so you can paint your UV's accurately in Mirage. It also handles painting of LW surfaces.

Mirage is Aura 2.5 with much much much more. Painting, bulit in particle engine, animated filters, color correction, keying to name a few. Yes it can handle HD footage. It is IMO a must have application.

It like lightwave also benefits from a tremendous online community due to its Newtek lineage and Amiga lineage. Lots of knowledgeable old schoolers and users and present in the forum.

Last but not least Bauhauss is a great company and has done more in the last few years in terms of support free upgrades etc than most software companies can claim. The president of the company frequents the forums as well, and will respond to users questions, and suggestions.

Im in no way affiliated with Bauhauss but I have to give props were props are due! Oh and 2.0 should be coming in the near future and I imagine will be amazing :thumbsup: