PDA

View Full Version : Importing audio for my short animation

noyce
10-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Hi, all

I'm currently working on an animated short and the project is fairly close to completion. Just recently my studio has converted to apple mac's and up until yesterday i was fairly happy.

A scene file that was generated on a PC has been loaded into the MAC and everything seemed fine, however as soon as i go to load the dialogue WAV file through the scene editor the program just crashes.

Any ideas? It's definitely the scene as i can import the audio into a fresh one!

Many thanks in advance

jat
10-15-2005, 10:06 AM
can't help with your problem but was curious as to why you went Mac since there are so many plugins that are not available to the OS......anything you like or dislike about the new setup?

noyce
10-15-2005, 11:55 AM
As far as lightwave is concerned i've not had much chance to really test it yet, this is the first thing i've tried to do. Problem is the scene was created on a PC running XP so i think the problem is there. When i create a fresh scene it so far seems fine.

The decision to switch to Macs was a difficult one. We were half and half before so it made sense when upgrading to standardise. Alot of our software (Photoshop for example) we only had licenses for the Mac versions. Whereas Lightwave was dual, so that played a large part in the decision.

jat
10-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Have you tried bringing the audio in another format? Maybe if you copy the audio file on the Mac HD and then try reloading it from there......good luck..Too bad you guys couldn't wait a bit longer before buying the Macs - this week should be interesting ....

toby
10-18-2005, 05:01 PM
I agree with the different format approach, but Lightwave isn't great for audio. What were you planning to do with it? Lipsynching is usually done in other programs like Premeire...

Another thing you could try is to open the scene file in BBEdit lite (free download) and re-save it with Mac line breaks.

noyce
10-18-2005, 11:10 PM
I've tried converting to other format's and that doesn't work. I'm just about to try the BBEdit approach (fingers crossed)

I need the audio in lightwave as i have created all my lip morphs and am now tweaking the lip synching to match the audio.

Many thanks for your ideas and i'll keep you posted.

toby
10-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Yea for tweaking you'll need the audio in LW, unless you bought Magpie.

One more suggestion, start with a new scene that works with the audio, and do a Load-from-scene to bring in your characters.

noiseboy
10-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Hello Noyce, which version of LW are you running? Have you tried adding a completely different audio file. I've had little experience of audio in Lightwave but what I have had hasn't been good, but it hasn't crashed LW.

Colin

noyce
10-19-2005, 02:07 AM
So far everything has been OK for a fresh LW Scene. It's just the scene which i originally started on the PC.

I didn't realise i could do a "load from scene". That certainly seems like it might be worth a try.

Incidentally i'm using Lightwave 8.5.

I'll keep you posted and once again many thanks

noyce
10-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Woohoooo!!!!

Created a new scene as you suggested, then imported the objects from scene and it worked!!!!

Only thing it didn't do was load my keyframes for the camera, but that is a small price too pay for getting this sorted.

I can't thank you enough for your help :thumbsup:

toby
10-20-2005, 12:53 AM
:beerchug:

To get the Camera from the old scene, open the old scene and select the camera, then go to File/Save/Save Motion File, and save it as camera.mot

In the new scene, select the camera again and go to file/load/load motion and find the .mot file.
Done!

noyce
10-22-2005, 10:37 AM
That doesn't seem to work mate. I can save the motion file but it doesn't then allow me to load it into my new scene.

Another problem i'm having is with getting my audio to start at frame 550. When i import my audio it always comes in at frame 0. I've tried setting audio start time but it still brings it in at 0?

: (

toby
10-22-2005, 11:21 AM
When I said LW isn't great for audio, I should have pointed out that it's actually very buggy. Sometimes if you do a preview, then close it, the audio turns to static, and you have to reload it. I don't know if it will help, but the audio start time is in seconds, not frames. I seem to recall having this same problem recently, it might not work at all.

I just tried it with an Apple Lossless format, it seemed to work, until I made a preview, then you can't hear anything anymore...

What happens when you try to load the .mot file?

noyce
10-22-2005, 11:40 AM
It allows me to create the motion file but when i try to load it i can't even select as a valid file? Very strange!

jat
10-22-2005, 01:39 PM
toby what's the easiest way to bring in audio and work with it then? I'd hate to have to buy another app just for that...

toby
10-22-2005, 08:53 PM
It allows me to create the motion file but when i try to load it i can't even select as a valid file? Very strange!
Does it have the .mot at the end? Did you switch the file type in the browser window from 'Motions' to 'all file types'? If so, I'm out of suggestions :p

I don't have any more answers for the audio problems, it just barely works -
What the pro animators do is listen to the audio track in something like premiere, then mark a dopesheet for every frame there's a sound, and what sound it is, then apply the right morph at the right frame. You still need to listen to it in LW, but I haven't had much luck lately -