PDA

View Full Version : 8.5 transparency display issue

Surrealist.
10-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Sorry I read this someplace and can't remeber where. But is there a known transparency bug issue? in LW 8.5 modeler?

'cause I got it.

Actually used to do this in weightshade mode whenever I tried turning transparency on for s surface. I'd get parts of the model transparent and parts not.

Now I am getting it in texture mode after I copy and paste the object or gemoetry goes transparent.

Anybody know what the lowdown is with this?

Tima
10-15-2005, 08:09 AM
I have the same problem, but if cut/paste transparent polygons in other layer this problem disappears.
I 've an ATi radeon 9800 pro graphic card, i'm waiting for update card drivers.
i hope hope this problem comes only with ATI card, but i not sure :!

Surrealist.
10-15-2005, 08:55 PM
I have the same problem, but if cut/paste transparent polygons in other layer this problem disappears.
I 've an ATi radeon 9800 pro graphic card, i'm waiting for update card drivers.
i hope hope this problem comes only with ATI card, but i not sure :!

Mine is an nvidia. So that's not looking good.

Riplakish
10-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Sorry I read this someplace and can't remeber where. But is there a known transparency bug issue? in LW 8.5 modeler?

I don't remember one for Modeler, per se, but I do remember one for hypervoxels that required using LWs rounding to get the desired result.

Wickster
10-15-2005, 09:19 PM
I got this result too.

NVidia 6200 w/ 256MB

Thoug after rotating/moving/scale/or any modification you may do then undo, the problem disappears. So I would come to think that this was just an openGL refresh issue.

Surrealist.
10-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately I can't get it to go away with the above tips. 8~

JML
10-16-2005, 06:05 AM
I had the same problem too.
this bug is in the bug workshop and affects ati and nvidia cards.
it only happened once to me though..

when you guys are having that bug, do you have also layout ON, or only
modeller ?

Surrealist.
10-16-2005, 10:17 PM
I had the same problem too.
this bug is in the bug workshop and affects ati and nvidia cards.
it only happened once to me though..

when you guys are having that bug, do you have also layout ON, or only
modeller ?

I am pretty sure I always have layout open. I usually go to layout and open modeler from there.

mav3rick
10-17-2005, 01:49 AM
cant reproduce bug:( gf 6800 here

Surrealist.
10-17-2005, 02:14 AM
Good. gf 6800 huh, OK. Interesting.

monfoodoo
10-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I've got the same problem.i cut out windsheild polys from a car model and pasted them into another layer and made them transparent.When i pasted them back to the car body layer and merged polys ,parts of the car body became transparent.no matter what i did they remained that way,yet in layout they where solid. scott

meatycheesyboy
10-21-2005, 10:06 AM
I can't test this right now because I'm at work but at home playing with the simple wireframe and simple points display options in modeler fixed the problem for me.

lots
10-21-2005, 10:55 AM
I have a PCIe Geforce 6800GT, and when I have transparent polys (in modeller, Layout is closed) they usually turn everything below them transparent too (say I have a sphere around another sphere). Rotating the view fixes this issue, but it happens every time I modify the texture. I'd have to rotate again to get it to display correctly..

lardbros
10-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Just try this out... make a sphere... select a few polys on it and turn them into their own surface and make them transparent.

Then when you rotate the object the display either makes the whole bloody thing transparent or makes everything solid... or just flickers a bit and is annoying.

I have Nvidia too, and the problem won't go away.

Elmar Moelzer
10-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey guys!
It is definitely a driver issue!
Got the very problem here with Nvidia drivers version 71.20. Today I installed Forceware 82.10 and now everything is fine (had to wait for a driver release that supports Geforce Go cards for my laptop).
This version that supports Geforce Go cards was released by Dell this week. It works fine for my Acer too though.
You can get them on Guru3d.com.
CU
Elmar

lardbros
10-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Just this minute upgraded my nvidia drivers to 81.85 and it still does it when i do the sphere test i posted earlier. I was hoping it was a driver issue, but surely it can't be if it still happens??

I couldn't find any driver version 82.10 like you said Elmar Moelzer, i guessed that was just for your GO card!

Elmar Moelzer
10-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Try to avoid the Beta drivery by Nvidia, try to get release drivers instead.
I havent had too great results with the beta drivers.
Check guru3d. com (the download section there) for the latest release drivers).
CU
Elmar

ACLOBO
10-21-2005, 08:56 PM
I have found that high poly models that were made pre-lightwave 8.5 have the problems. New models that I build in 8.5 do not seem to have the problem. I don't know what funky business is going on here.

-Adrian

Elmar Moelzer
10-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Hey!
You are right, I still have some transparency weirdness with the 81.20 drivers as well....
It is much less notable though (some transparent polygons are shown as being non transparent and they kinds tend to flicker on and off). Only in Modeler though. Layout looks pretty good here...
Example:
When I load the truck53.lwo from the lighting folder of the LW8.0 content one of the headlight glasses seems to flicker on and off every now and then.

The MD900_Explorer.lwo from the Vehicles folder is showing the problem a bit better, IMHO.
Can anyone confirm this?
CU
Elmar

Lewis
10-22-2005, 08:37 AM
HI Elmar !

I have that transparency issue in most of my models. They are mainly hi-poly subDs cars and i tryed 2-3 driver versions but no perfect solution. SO i guess something is problematic in OpenGL at v8.5 ;).

cheers

lardbros
10-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Try to avoid the Beta drivery by Nvidia, try to get release drivers instead.
I havent had too great results with the beta drivers.
Check guru3d. com (the download section there) for the latest release drivers).
CU
Elmar

Are the ones i downloaded a beta version?? It never said on Nvidias site when i got them. I just went to the latest drivers for my card type. Anyway, still have the problem with transparent polys. It tends to be worse on mine when it's a single object with transparent polys on the same object. Try what i said earlier using a simple sphere and see if it happens!

Karmacop
10-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Only in Modeler though. Layout looks pretty good here...

I wish putting Layout's opengl into modeler was first on the list for LW9. Modeler has many issues, and not many features. Plus, they are currently maintaining two types of viewport rendering for no reason :(

As I'm primarily a modeler, it's annoying that I need to go into layout to seemy surfaces properly :(

Lewis
10-22-2005, 10:46 AM
As I'm primarily a modeler, it's annoying that I need to go into layout to seemy surfaces properly :(

I 2nd that. But who knows maybe Elmar and NT will surprise us witg great and FAST OpenGL in Lw9 modeler ;).

JML
10-22-2005, 12:14 PM
I have the lastest driver from ati, 5.10, and the doors in truck53.lwo has the same transparency problem.

Lewis
10-22-2005, 01:18 PM
I have the lastest driver from ati, 5.10, and the doors in truck53.lwo has the same transparency problem.

Ofcourse it has same problem 'coz it really can't be driver issue while LW 8.3, 8.2.1, 8.2 and all below DON'T have such issue. It's pure Lw 8.5 thing so it must be something fishy in LW code - right Elmar :)?

P.S. JLM I just posted as Quote on your thread, nothing to contradict your statement - I fully agree with it :).

Karmacop
10-22-2005, 11:44 PM
I 2nd that. But who knows maybe Elmar and NT will surprise us witg great and FAST OpenGL in Lw9 modeler ;).

Elmar doesn't work at Newtek anymore :(

But good luck with your personal work and plugin Elmar! :thumbsup:

Matt
10-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Yep, doing the sphere test I can confirm it happens to me too, I have an nVidia GeForce 6800 ULTRA, Forceware 78.01.

Man that sucks!

Lewis
10-23-2005, 05:15 AM
Elmar doesn't work at Newtek anymore :(

But good luck with your personal work and plugin Elmar! :thumbsup:

Hmm i didn't know that :(, Good luck to Elmar ofcourse.

So who's now responsible for OpenGL :)?

Elmar Moelzer
10-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Hey guys!
Thanks for the kind words :)
Dont worry I still keep my eyes on LW from the distance.
We left our programmer David to NewTek. I think he is mostly responsible for the all the new OpenGL- features in LW 8.5. I am sure he and NT will take care of any problems in Modelers OpenGL quickly :)
Personally I am a bit confused on why the problems seem to only appear in LW8.5. I dont think they added much new to Modelers OpenGL for that version (compared to LW8.3).
Oh well, anyway I know that NT is aware of the problem meanwhile. I dont know whether it is driver problem though, which still seems to be a possibility IMHO. I will certainly test for the problem a bit more on my other workstations as soon as I get to it.
CU
Elmar

Earl
10-23-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm experiencing this issue with my NVIDIA Quadro card on my laptop, and my ATI Radeon card on my PC. If it's a driver issue, it occurs with ATI and NVIDIA. Which makes me think it isn't a driver issue. But I'll leave that up to NewTek to figure out. :D

Elmar Moelzer
10-23-2005, 01:28 PM
well, it could be that NewTek is using a standard feature of OpenGL, that just happens to be not very well supported by drivers throughout consumer graphics cards. In any case, David is at it from what I know.
CU
Elmar

ACLOBO
10-23-2005, 02:04 PM
I would certainly hope that someone will rectify this. Not everybody is going to jump on to LW9 right away. Some of us will be fine with lightwave 8.5 for a while. What is the point of having a lightwave 8.5 if the display in modeler is screwy?

I understand that there are always bugs with each release. However, this is kind of a show stopper. Our interface should behave properly so that we can get work done without being annoyed by geometry that isn't showing up properly. I don't know about you all, but I find modifying an invisible or transparent mesh kinda difficult - akin to looking for a glass bottle underwater....

Hopefully we will get a 8.51 patch or something to rectify these issues. Just because they are busy with 9 is not reason to release a shoddy 8.5.

I am pretty excited about 9, but I have also made the decision that 9 may be my last regular upgrade (as in getting each one that comes out). All Newtek developer issues of the past aside, I just don't see the point of paying for bug fixes.

Sorry if I seem to be ranting. I guess I may be (just a bit). I have plenty of other things to think about. I shouldn't have to think about whether my favorite 3d app (lightwave) is going to behave or not. It should really be transparent as I work - a simple tool that does its job without question. Before someone starts on a defensive crusade, consider that statement. You pick up a hammer to drive nails, you expect it to do just that. I wouldn't want a hammer that drives the nails and is also emitting a hot flame from the head that leaves burn marks wherever I have been driving nails! Then I have to take extra steps to make sure that my surface is protected from my flame spewing hammer!

I would just assume that Newtek stop FEATURE developement all together! Instead, rip this application apart, streamline it (get rid of redundant features), fix all the bugs (to make it a solid tool) and open up the architecture to allow for developement in new directions. No new features until everything works right.

I love lightwave... I love the direction the new team is taking it.... However, I kind of see it as a PORK CHOP. I like my pork pretty lean. A little fat is nice for flavor, but it is the meat that fills me up and keeps me happy. OK, I have lost it.. I must be hungry (it is lunchtime). Bye for now.

DAVID.... I wish you luck in getting this display issue resolved. Hopefully we will see an 8.51 soon...

-Adrian

Elmar Moelzer
10-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Well as I said, it does not necessarily have to be NTs fault.
I still think it could be a driver issue.
CU
Elmar

mav3rick
10-23-2005, 04:34 PM
elmar
david ikeda ?
if so tell bastard helllo from me and rest of lwrs channel guys... and tell him that if he become a star doesnt mean he cant come and visit old friends .. :thumbsup:

Earl
10-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the input Elmar, it's appreciated.

Elmar Moelzer
10-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Nope, not David Ikeda.
David Forstenlechner. He is a great programmer. It was kinda hard to let him leave to work on LW only. The LW- comunity will certainly benefit from that though :)
Anyway, the very weird part is that the Modeler OpenGL did not see any changes between LW8.3 and LW8.5, a lot of people updated their drivers to get OpenGL2.0- support though, so I am still kinda thinking it might be a driver issue. We will see
CU
Elmar

RedBull
10-23-2005, 05:57 PM
What is the point of having a lightwave 8.5 if the display in modeler is screwy?

I understand that there are always bugs with each release. However, this is kind of a show stopper.

Hopefully we will get a 8.51 patch or something to rectify these issues. Just because they are busy with 9 is not reason to release a shoddy 8.5.
-Adrian

I don't seem to suffer from this problem, so it's hardly a showstopper!
And really, if it's such a problem for you, Why can't you use Modeler
8.0,8.01,8.21,8.3 and use them instead? Bugs happen!

I agree, i do wonder why 8.5 was updating things like Multishift,GLSL was a priority for NT, it does seem we have much more important things to achieve,
than to preview a handlful of procedurals in OGL..... **** NT did not even add this to the SDK so third parties can add it for their procedurals....

8.5 is without doubt the most stable 8.x release of Lightwave for me.
Which is good, but considering the advancements of XSI and Modo lately,
Modo has been written from the ground up, with a new modeler and renderer,
and NT are playing with OGL shading, and multishift.......

I'm a little concerned, that the talk about the core, innovation and SDK
are just more talk, and hype.... At the moment the others are really moving into the future, rather than talking about how they would like to!

Elmar Moelzer
10-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Hey Redbull!
Updating Multishift was not a priority for NT. It was something David Ikeda did when he came on board as a new member of the dev- team from what I understood.
From what I understand they have been mostly working on LW9 already, which is why there are not THAT many new features in LW8.5.
Most of the effort in LW8.5 went into bug fixing and I still think that LW8.5 really is a very stable release.
The new OpenGL- features should be seen as a preview on what is coming with LW9.0 and that is not just procedurals already as you are trying to make it down Redbull, also gradients and blending- modes, lightfalloffs etc are supported in LW8.5.
I think LW8.5 is already pretty far up in terms of what the OpenGL- display actually shows, compared to other apps. I think it is very useful already and it will get even more useful in LW9.0.
Given I would have waited with the OpenGL features a bit longer until OpenGL2.0 is more widely established and maybe put priority on other things first, but I still think it is a good thing to have and I find myself using it more often than not.
CU
Elmar

mkiii
10-24-2005, 07:01 AM
Well as I said, it does not necessarily have to be NTs fault.
I still think it could be a driver issue.
CU
Elmar

How is it a driver issue? 8.3 worked with these drivers. 8.5 does not work with these drivers.

This happened in LW 6.0 also, and they fixed that eventually, so I'm pretty sure they can fix this.

This is not LW9. This is supposed to be a LW8.x update that fixes bugs amongst other things, not make it less usable.

Since 8.5 is also meant to be a bit of a LW9.0 preview, it would be in Newteks interest to get this fixed before 9.0 is released, because the silent majority of users are not going to buy 9.0 if they hear reports that 8.5 does stupid things with modelers display.

And yes... I have reverted back to a previous version of modeler. Not a good advert though is it?

mav3rick
10-24-2005, 09:58 AM
ok today i step on bomb
transparency issue here also
so my 6800 is not only one that is workin :) bad now:)
latest nvida drivers

Elmar Moelzer
10-24-2005, 10:46 AM
mkiii, give me a break ok?
I am just a user trying to help resolving a problem, I did not cause it, OK?
CU
Elmar

mkiii
10-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Just replying to the post mate. No need to get upset.

T-Light
10-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Funny thing.

I wasn't having this problem at all until I read this thread and deliberately created some geometry to see if I could reproduce the bug. Once I added the transparent poly's I got it.

AND NOW I CAN'T GET RID OF IT!!!

reset LW.
reset Modeller.
reset machine.

B*mmer :compbeati

Lynx3d
10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Hehe...there you have it, all those problems are actually just illusion... :D

(yes, i do suffer from the bug too...on the very first object i loaded in 8.5. GeForce 6600, FW 77.77)

RedBull
10-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Hey Elmar,

Thanks, i didn't mean to sound as negative as i did on that last post,
only to say their are a 101 little things i would of liked to of seen in 8.5.
8.5 is very stable as i said, and faster too, and i won't complain about any of those things, especially when you get speed and stability in the same release.
So well done to NT and the team.

Multishift is a cool tool, and a welcome inclusion, as is OGL2...
Looking at LW9 there is some really nice stuff, many of the 3rd party plugins,
and new SDS systems is nice...

I guess i'd just like to see this moving quickly, with Modo and XSI moving ahead with our old development staff, showing real improvements...
Maya and Max merging and Max getting unlimited MR nodes....
I'd like to see NT push the limits, once again...

Considering the team, that has now been assembled, i hope they can really start to push LW forward, rather than sideways..... (even if it still moves sidesways with the best of them)

Matt
10-25-2005, 02:03 AM
NewTek, assuming this isn't a driver issue, any chance of a 8.5.1 fix for this, I just can't use modeler with this problem in place, which is a shame because there are so many cool features in 8.5 I'd like to be able to use!

Thanks!

RedBull
10-26-2005, 02:33 PM
NewTek, assuming this isn't a driver issue, any chance of a 8.5.1 fix for this, I just can't use modeler with this problem in place, which is a shame because there are so many cool features in 8.5 I'd like to be able to use!

Thanks!

I'm sure NT will release a patch, however many of us don't suffer the issues
mentioned by others, which makes an exact cause of the bug a little hard to track..... My Nividia card is working fine...

Why not go back to 8.3? Is Multishift such an important feature or 8.5.

If not what is?
Why not use Multishift or whatever in 8.3........ It's not a whlole lot different!
8.3 is really very much the same as 8.5, for most intensive purposes.

I'd rather wait a month or two for a re-release, that address's any major issues found within the next month or two... Rather than fix a single display issue, that does not concern everyone..... But hey thats just me!

mkiii
10-26-2005, 07:44 PM
All the new stuff works in modeler 8.0, including the extra keystroke assignments available , so I'm pretty sure you will be fine using 8.3 modeler Matt.

mav3rick
10-27-2005, 02:09 AM
can i use 8.3 modeler and 8.5 layout?

mkiii
10-27-2005, 07:00 AM
You can use 8.0 to 8.3 modeler with 8.5 layout as long as you use the same filename. I haven't noticed any differences in the way it works.

To be safe, it might be wise to rename 8.5 modeler, and keep it there so you can just swap them back if needed.

Remember - this is not a recognised way of doing it, so if you get odd bugs, they may be due to some as yet undiscovered incompatibility. If I'm looking at a specific 8.5 feature, for replying to the forum for example, I will actually be running the real 8.5 modeler, not the old version.

ACLOBO
11-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Come on somebody. Comment on our display issues (as well as the other bugs). Are we going to get an 8.5 fix? I am finding myself very hard pressed (for the first time ever) to purchase any more upgrades to lightwave.

-Adrian

Earl
11-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Come on somebody. Comment on our display issues (as well as the other bugs). Are we going to get an 8.5 fix? I am finding myself very hard pressed (for the first time ever) to purchase any more upgrades to lightwave.
We know they're working on it. We just have to be patient. In the meantime we can use 8.3.

ACLOBO
11-01-2005, 02:45 PM
what I have decided to do in the meantime is model my models regularly, without any transparent polys. The models look fine then. Then have a version with all the surface names for modeling and have a copy of one for layout that will receive the transparent surfaces.

This issue definitely has something to do with regular transparent polys (draw error). I have set some polys to transparent using gradients in modeler and the model looks fine. The reason being is that we don't seem polys with gradients applied in modeler - so there is no draw issue.

I do suspect they are working on it. I just don't like having buggy software that I have to figure out "work-arounds." I just frown on having to keep two files for the same object - one for layout and one for modeler.

-Adrian

StereoMike
11-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Got the prob, too.

As I found out, transparent polys appear as something like polyloops or bands. So polyorder has influence on that. E.g. you can break it up by assigning opaque surfaces to adjacent polys.
Good workaround Adrian!

Mike

juanjgon
11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Yes, have this problems too, with ATI FireGL X1 card ... i hope NT release a patch soon ...

monfoodoo
11-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Yes,it.s not the cards. It is super annoying though.

JML
11-05-2005, 07:21 PM
(I have ati9800xt with 5.10 drivers,)

it happenned again, and I found out that the bug only happen when the view is set to smooth shade or textured.
when setting the view to flat shade or textured wire, the bug disapear and it works fine.

pixelperfect
11-06-2005, 08:25 PM
I get this problem too.
gf 6600 gt forceware 81.85.

Always just have modeler open, hub is not loaded. Only happens when one of the surfaces in the object is given a transparency value greater then 0%.

Happens in Wireframe Shade, Flat Shade, Smooth Shade and Textured Wire modes. Model looks fine when you change disply modes but then the transparent polys appear when you move/rotate the view. This must be an OGL redraw issue.

Strangly when i switch to Texture display mode the transparent polys appear straight away but then return to normal if i move/rotate view. :S

Its very annoying, hopefully an 8.5.1 patch will be released if its a Lightwave problem.

mkiii
11-07-2005, 05:52 AM
Ity *is* a lightwave problem. Specifically, it is a Modeler 8.5 problem.

The problem was not there before 8.5 (apart from when 6.0 had the same problems), and is not happening in any other apps.

I can't believe that no one at Newtek noticed this one before they released 8.5 unless all the tests were done on a box with no transparancy set anywhere.

Matt
11-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I can't believe that no one at Newtek noticed this one before they released 8.5 unless all the tests were done on a box with no transparancy set anywhere.

Have to say, I did wonder that myself!

:cursin:

:I_Love_Ne

Snosrap
11-09-2005, 09:14 PM
I'd like to make a suggestion to Newtek to open up their beta team again. I'm not sure how one can be considered to be a beta tester, but it seems as though a lot of simple things are falling through the cracks. 8.3 had the nasty bug of reorganizing objects and not allowing the selection of the desired object http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=36857 And now 8.5 has the images in layout getting disorganized, http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=41614&page=7&pp=15 as well as this transparency problem. Maybe the beta testers are super advanced users and do not try the simple stuff, so therefore things like this get overlooked. Just like Worley's FPrime, it wouldn't save after saving a file that was longer than 25 characters or remember the saved file path. (Now fixed with 2.10) These things are just so ridiculously simple to find that it's just makes me wonder. I'm one of 4 product designers using LW eight hours a day, we don't even begin to push the software (no character work, no dynamics, no expressions - nothing complicated) and we've had to deal with this stuff. We have been able to work around it and the positives of LW still outweigh these minor annoyances, but it would be nice to see the things that worked fine in previous releases still work. Overall I have been very satisfied with the stability of 8 and it's subsequent releases and am hoping for nice things with 9. Hopefully we'll get another 8.x release before 9 to tide us over.

Snos

ACLOBO
11-09-2005, 11:28 PM
what is even more annoying is that nobody from newtek has commented on these issues at all. No sit-rep, no assurances that these will be addressed without having to step up to 9 and well, basically silence. Work-arounds are great, but we should never have to deal with such basic problems. How these things got through the beta team is not only hard to fathom, but down-right embarrassing for them. Anyway, my hopes are that we will see some type of fix soon. I still have some faith in the worker bees over at Newtek.... Some....

-Adrian

Matt
11-10-2005, 12:43 PM
I'd like to make a suggestion to Newtek to open up their beta team again. I'm not sure how one can be considered to be a beta tester, but it seems as though a lot of simple things are falling through the cracks. 8.3 had the nasty bug of reorganizing objects and not allowing the selection of the desired object http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=36857 And now 8.5 has the images in layout getting disorganized, http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=41614&page=7&pp=15 as well as this transparency problem. Maybe the beta testers are super advanced users and do not try the simple stuff, so therefore things like this get overlooked. Just like Worley's FPrime, it wouldn't save after saving a file that was longer than 25 characters or remember the saved file path. (Now fixed with 2.10) These things are just so ridiculously simple to find that it's just makes me wonder. I'm one of 4 product designers using LW eight hours a day, we don't even begin to push the software (no character work, no dynamics, no expressions - nothing complicated) and we've had to deal with this stuff. We have been able to work around it and the positives of LW still outweigh these minor annoyances, but it would be nice to see the things that worked fine in previous releases still work. Overall I have been very satisfied with the stability of 8 and it's subsequent releases and am hoping for nice things with 9. Hopefully we'll get another 8.x release before 9 to tide us over.

Snos

Have to say I agree with you there.

Very reasonable and well put comment I may add!

mkiii
11-11-2005, 02:59 AM
Agreed.

This *would* have been a good thing had it been introduced a while ago, but I suspect that it would be far too late now to introduce another betaForce (complete with T-Shirt, Cinnamon flavoured Newtek Logo lollypop, and plastic insects/bugs).

Sigh....
I could do with a new T-shirt too, my old one is getting a bit faded.

[Edit] Anyone still hoping for a bugfix for this issue without having to buy v 9.0, then read the message from Chuck here :-
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=42798

Snosrap
11-11-2005, 11:06 PM
[Edit] Anyone still hoping for a bugfix for this issue without having to buy v 9.0, then read the message from Chuck here :-
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=42798

Yeah, not to happy about that, but apparently 9 must be on schedule with Chuck's remarks about the dev not indicating an 8.6 release. And Chuck's right about the free upgrades and such. There is no way I would ever go for a maintenance program. I think those are ludicrous. How software publishers get away with that and why users put up with it is beyond me. I give Newtek all the credit for a very fair upgrade policy. I'm sure 9 will have some issues, but it sounds like the work that the dev team is doing to the core will allow for faster upgrades and cleaner code in general. So my speculation is that 9.5 - 10 will rock! I only hope NT diversifies their beta team, then maybe some of things will get caught before general release.

Snos

Brianthreedee
11-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Ok, here is what I just found on the transparency bug.

I'm currently modeling a cockpit canopy for my logan model (From Robotech), and as normal I work on making one half of the object than mirroring it to make a whole.

I have the cockpit canopy in three parts, the frame and then the two glass sections. When I keep the parts seperate and mirror them, all is good, but if I combine the parts and THEN mirror them BLAM, my canopy frame takes on the glass atributes, even though settings for the frame in the surfaces panel does not reflect that!

Now the solution I fond was to mirror the parts individually and then merge them. Seems to prevent the frame from taking on the transperency settings.

I hope this helps!

brap
11-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Just checking to see if anyone has found an nvidia driver that resolves this issue.

Lewis
11-15-2005, 09:38 AM
hi brap - AFAIK it's not driver issue, it's LWs glitch form what I've read and tested by myself :(.

Dirk
11-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Had the problem, too (Nvida fx5900). It's not 100% gone after updating the driver to the newest version, but its much better now.

Dodgy
11-15-2005, 10:42 AM
I've only ever had this problem in sketch or weight map mode. I'm using a 5600 with the 7.7.7.2 drivers.

Lewis
11-15-2005, 10:53 AM
It's not problem when or in what mode we have it, problem is that 8.3 works fine and on 8.5 it's problematic and OpenGL in modeler supposed to stay same/unchanged so that's what bothering me :(? Maybe it's modeler.exe itself causing problems :(?

Lynx3d
11-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Even if the newest nVidia driver helped, apparently it has another bug that will fully load one CPU/core when you have more than one...and i do have more than one CPU :P
But to be honest, the only thing i'm still using Lightwave for is testing some plugins...including the one i write.