PDA

View Full Version : A big thanks to Newtek

hrgiger
10-14-2005, 03:28 PM
I know a lot of griping goes on in the forums about this or that but I just want to say I can see all the work that is going into Lightwave and I think v9 is going to be quite a significant update. Improved OGL performance, edge weighting, edge selection and manipulation, subpatch ngons, faster rendering, modeling operations in Layout.... This list pretty much covers all the things I feel have been lacking in Lightwave over the last few years and I think the new team should be proud of this new Lightwave(and I know there is more stuff to be happy about in v9). Since a lot of the old development team left to make a nice new app with a really stupid name, you've really done a great job of picking up the pieces and putting back together something much better then it was originally.

I havent' been this excited about Lightwave since I made my decision to buy Lightwave 6(the joy of six) way back.

So thank you Newtek for all your hardwork!

archiea
10-14-2005, 09:12 PM
<cough> fanboy....

..but yeah, still, thanks for your efforts, Newtek. I know there has been alot of tearing up at the mac threads, but thanks to chuck's informative replies, it really cleared up alot of the mysteries regarding the perceived platform discrepencies in features.... at least to those of us that listened!!

It just seems that the mac community needs to make some hard decisions for the medium term. With the advent of 64 bit aps on windows, apple's being tested regarding their claim to 64bit computing. And medium term solutions are definitely affected with the forcast from Apple. At least LW being duo dongled definitly helps matters as far as platform fense sitting...

Either way.. here to seeing LW 9.5 on a mac intel like in a year or so... :D :thumbsup:

Panikos
10-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Its good to encourage developers, but too much excitement about promises is bad.

Lets see ...
:tsktsk:

hrgiger
10-15-2005, 08:57 AM
<cough> fanboy....

If by fanboy, you mean showing some appreciation to the development team for the work that has been done on reshaping the application that they use everday, then yes.
If by fanboy, you mean you just can't stand the thought that someone might disagree with your assessment of the progress made and your limited vocabulary can only come up with the word fanboy, then yes, that's probably true too.
I'll be the first one to say I was disappointed with the v8 release and I'm not too particularly thrilled with the 8.5 release either. Neither version addressed the OGL performance issue and Lightwave's performance is still lackluster. It doesn't mean that I can't see that work is being done to address these issues and all the new features of 9 show that Newtek has listened to it's users on what direction the program should head in. You can scream vaporware and fanboy and all that nonsense, but it doesn't mean that these features and these issues aren't being addressed.
I thought you ditched Lightwave a few years ago Archiea or at least you said something about that in a thread a few months back. It seems like it's sort of useless to post unless you actually have something constructive to add other then calling everyone who does not share your view a fanboy.
Isn't there a word for that? Troll, I think it is.

WilliamVaughan
10-15-2005, 09:39 AM
HRGiger...this last post just made my day :)

Thank you...I'm now a hrgiger fanboy :)

MonroePoteet
10-15-2005, 11:00 AM
I'd like to thank Newtek for persisting in the face of loads of naysayers, vicious harrassment, and pooh-poohing from various push-button artists in the boards.

Here's a few of my thoughts for people who think Lightwave is "poor" or "inferior" or "substandard":

1) Use the tools you've got, not the ones you wish you had.
2) A great artist can create even with the poorest of tools, while a poor artist cannot create even with the greatest of tools.
3) I'm grateful that the pioneers of special effects like Muren, Edlund, Kubrick, Harryhausen, etc. didn't whine, throw up their hands in disgust and give up when their toolset didn't have a big, ol' GUI button marked "Create me an Award-winning Special Effect."
4) Lightwave, Maya, Max, XSI etc. are *different*. It'd be really nice if people would stop coming to the LW boards and putting down LW 'cause it doesn't work the same way as some other product they've seen.

And, finally, everybody should take the test Dilbert's Scott Adams proposed to qualify for a Pointy Haired Manager:

"Do you think anything you don't understand must be easy to do?"

mTp

T-Light
10-15-2005, 11:17 AM
MonroePoteet-

"Do you think anything you don't understand must be easy to do?"
I love that :D

coremi
10-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Big thanx for the sound issues in Layout, anybody can confirm ? I have better sound now to work with, after loaded in Scene Editor

Snosrap
10-15-2005, 10:38 PM
I'd like to say thanks as well. LW has never been more stable in my opinion. LW went from always crashing upon clearing a scene, to never with version 8, that alone was huge for me. Worth paying for? No! But there has been enough nice additions and other bug fixes to warrant the investment in the future of LW. Sure it has a number deficiencies, but it appears the new LW team is turning things around nicely. As far as LW 9 is concerned, the list of enhancements and features look great, but keep in mind programming for 3D is extremely complicated (I would think anyway) and I for one am not really expecting the second coming with 9. It probably won't be until 9.5 or later that Newtek gets LW to where we want it to go. But I like Newtek's new attitude and apparent re-dedication to LW and I think it will be a nice ride. Fanboy? No. I just like an application that realizes that the only true icon out there is the STOP sign, and even those say stop on them. LW is just no nonsense and I hope it retains that aspect while adding many new and useful features and workflow enhancements.

Cheers
Snos

colkai
10-16-2005, 03:14 AM
MonroePoteet-
Bravo, I'm glad I'm not the only "fanboy" to think of these matters. :p
I often wonder, can you imagine how long these naysayers would last in the real world if they griped to the wife about food the way the moan about LW?
"What - no mint sauce? Everybody knows the best food is made with mint sauce, you food sux, you'll never be as good a cook as my mom, you use the wrong pan, hah, you don't even have an automatic tin-opener". .. I can see the frying pan bruises from here :p

If some of these folks hadn't already "moved on" it would be bad enough, but hey, they used it in the past, so they are ENTITLED to complain about what it does/doesn't do now. (Eh? - come again?)

The folks at Newtek, especially poor long suffering Chuck and Proton who are at the "pointy-end" have nought but my sympathy.

Like Hrgiger, I too was disappointed with some of the things I felt were lacking and still are in LW8.5 but I am a developer myself, so I am not making judgment on things until the final package for LW9 is released. That doesn't mean I should scoff at what has already been achieved and I have little time for those that get their kicks from doing so.

So yes, fanboy or not, a hearty cheer for Newtek for taking the steps they have, and for battling in the face of much hostility which, contrary to what some "free thinkers" would have you believe, is NOT a thing they have to put up with.

hrgiger
10-16-2005, 10:43 AM
As Morrissey once said "Fanboys of the world unite"...

Or was that shoplifters? I don't know.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-16-2005, 11:18 AM
More than anything, I want speed and stability from Lightwave. The 8 series gaves us stability (for the most part...it could still be better). I am hoping the 9 series will give us SPEED.

MiniFireDragon
10-16-2005, 11:57 AM
I will chime in to say I am excited on the upcoming release of 9.0. Mainly the ability to edit points directly inside Layout. I hope the actual function lives up to the excitement of the promotion!

Vision1
10-16-2005, 12:55 PM
it's good to see a thread like this :thumbsup:

hmm what did they say in the amiga days hmm something like this :hey:

spread the word spread the feeling :D

somnambulance
10-16-2005, 01:06 PM
As Morrissey once said "Fanboys of the world unite"...

ROFL, Hrigger I cant believe you quoted Morrissey.

I want to be able to test drive 9 before I buy it.

colkai
10-16-2005, 01:25 PM
I want to be able to test drive 9 before I buy it.
Nowt wrong with that, if you're unsure, could even be worth waiting until 9.x is released if you feel you don't need any of the new features particularly.
Same reason I never buy cutting edge PC hardware, wait 6 months and save me some money. ;)

archiea
10-17-2005, 04:23 AM
If by fanboy, you mean showing some appreciation to the development team for the work that has been done on reshaping the application that they use everday, then yes.
If by fanboy, you mean you just can't stand the thought that someone might disagree with your assessment of the progress made and your limited vocabulary can only come up with the word fanboy, then yes, that's probably true too.
I'll be the first one to say I was disappointed with the v8 release and I'm not too particularly thrilled with the 8.5 release either. Neither version addressed the OGL performance issue and Lightwave's performance is still lackluster. It doesn't mean that I can't see that work is being done to address these issues and all the new features of 9 show that Newtek has listened to it's users on what direction the program should head in. You can scream vaporware and fanboy and all that nonsense, but it doesn't mean that these features and these issues aren't being addressed.
I thought you ditched Lightwave a few years ago Archiea or at least you said something about that in a thread a few months back. It seems like it's sort of useless to post unless you actually have something constructive to add other then calling everyone who does not share your view a fanboy.
Isn't there a word for that? Troll, I think it is.

HA! I was just busting your chops, hrgiger, have a sense of humor man. Plus you got your facts squirly... I didn't ditch LW, in fact I used it a bit last on The Life Aquatic. I just can't earn the same quality of life on LW as I can how I currently work. And I did agree with the points on you post. I was pointing out that Apple has stalled plans on the mac for about a tear, hence the referance and hope for seeing LW 9.5 on an intel mac in a year. You just gotta chill out....fanboy :tongue: Peace...

hrgiger
10-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Plus you got your facts squirly... I didn't ditch LW, in fact I used it a bit last on The Life Aquatic.

I got my facts straight. You're the one who said you bailed in 2002. And you even referred to yourself as a fanboy. Apparently not on the bail part. It was in the LW price reduction thread....

I did bail in 2002, and yes I am a fanboy in the sense that I owe my roots to the amiga and newtek.

archiea
10-17-2005, 08:07 PM
In the context of the discussion, its clear that my point is that I bailed from LW as a primary 3D toolset as far as my profession, switching to using Maya and proprietary lighting systems as those jobs offer more stability. I bailed on Flame for Shake as far as income as well for different reasons, although I still do Flame work and try to keep my training up. In a nutshell, I'm primarily maya/proprietary and Shake, but I wouldn't throw alot of tools off the workbench. AE, combustion, etc, they all have specific functionality thats useful.

But keep pulling stuff out of context, hrgiger, just to be argumentative.. I was/is a LW fanboy because I've used it since '91, and would love to commit to it for personal projects, as opposed to proffesional projects exclusively. But I will also critique it honestly with no kid gloves. There are fanboys and then there are "fanboys". :p

hrgiger
10-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Well, just to be clear, I didn't pull anything out of context. That was the complete sentence. In that posting you did not elaborate on what your use (or non-use) of Lightwave was after 2002, personal or professional.
You come on here and make little jib staments like "<cough>fanboy" and then you say I'm being argumentative just because I question a statement that you did indeed make and did not elaborate on until now. And you say I don't have a sense of humor. Because I think that's **** funny.

archiea
10-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, just to be clear, I didn't pull anything out of context. That was the complete sentence.

Thread, not sentence.. you should really watch more LA law... :twak:

You come on here and make little jib staments like "<cough>fanboy" and then you say I'm being argumentative just because I question a statement that you did indeed make and did not elaborate on until now. And you say I don't have a sense of humor. Because I think that's **** funny.

Actually, an argumentative fanboy... :D which typically = "fanboy". :neener:

BTW. That statement was elaborated on across two threads.. threads which are a perfect example of selective hearing on the part of some in this community.

Put it to rest, man, and get a sense of humor!!!! Life is too short...

Chuck
10-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Moderation Notice: Let's dispense with calling one another "fanboy" when there is a disagreement. It's a straw man ad hominem just made up to discredit anyone who is being favorable toward a product in a given argument on a given day, and ignores the essential truth that every user of a product wants it to improve, every user of a product reports bugs when they occur, every user of a product makes feature requests. It gets put into play because not every user always agrees on wanting the same thing at the same time or being frustrated by the same issues at the same time, nor on the need to be as vehement about a given issue at a given time, even when they agree, and the folks who choose to use it are unable to stick to issues and have to make the argument personal instead.

This kind of behavior is not merely accepted but is approved and encouraged in some venues, but not here.

Those of you who are not content to let anyone express a positive feeling have had your way and driven the thread into the ground. It's closed.